The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Gonna break my 6mm Rem in this mornin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gonna break my 6mm Rem in this mornin
Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
I am gonna try out my 6mm Rem for the first time this morning on yotes.I have a pretty wicked little load with a Sierra 80 grain Blitz and IMR4320 that is shooting very nice.This is my 6mm Rem.Its a Douglas barrel on a 721 Rem action with a Jewel trigger and boss.The scope is an old 6x18 Redfield that has seen service on more than one of my rifles.The rifle has been completely glass bedded and shoots 1/2 inch groups fairly easy.
It is a benchrest stock which does add some weight but my stand today is a short peice from where I will stash my pickup.. [Wink]
 -

I recently came into a few hundred 80 gr Nosler ballistic tips in 6mm Rem and was wondering what you 6mm afficionados think of them in a coyote killing role?I bought a pound of IMR 4064 to try with them also as I hear this powder performs well in the 6mm Rem?

[ October 15, 2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 08:03 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Timberghozt, Tyler used the Nosler BTs. in his .243 last year. Terminal performance varied with presentation. Straight on shots usually did not exit. Broadside, behind the shoulder, almost always exited. Sometimes with spectacular results. Not fur friendly. Extremely efficient at putting a coyote down, even with less than desireable placement. Very accurate in his little rifle.
Nice brake on that dandy rifle. If you do any prone shooting in that dry Texas dust, please take some video of it and share with us. [Smile]

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you do any prone shooting in that dry Texas dust, please take some video of it and share with us.
Will AZ dust work?

Any idea of who will host a vidio clip that I can link here?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 12:40 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I hope someone can host it for you. For the unsuspecting that can be a real eye opener, or closer. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The only Nosler I have used in 6MM was not even a 6MM, it is a 243, but it is a very destructive bullet, on coyotes.

(edit) oops! would help to identify the bullet! duh! 70 grain Nosler

Other destructive bullets are both Hornady and Sierra 75 gr. HPs. I also use the 80 gr. Hornday pistol bullet and the 60 gr. Sierra HP.

I have a lot more experience with the 6MM Remington than 243, have owned three, at one time or another. My all time favorite (24 cal) coyote bullet is the 85 Sierra Spitzer. Always seems to be accurate in any rifle and kills very well at all ranges.

I never found a Speer 24 caliber bullet that I cared for? Currently, in 243, I am using a 74 gr. Berger HP.

Good luck with your break in, I managed to finally get the 223AI broke in. LB

edit: by the way. I think IMR4350 and H4831 are two of the most reliable powders in 6MM with varmint weight bullets.

[ October 15, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not my eyes that get me, I never seem to get my mouth closed when shooting from prone.

Try this link:

Click here to watch Dust35

I'd have got a better reaction, but the wind was already blowing 15 mph. Most of the really fine stuff is gone until the wind stops for a couple of days.

Edit:

That's a 190 Grain JLK moving just over 3000 FPS. With the brake, I could see the impact on the hill 700 yards away. With out the brake, I'd have never shot the rifle while prone. [Eek!]

[ October 15, 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich.I will do on some video.I fired it prone two weeks ago and it was pretty dry.This is blackland prairie here and dusty as heck.The first shot is blew weeds,flecks of dry grass and dust all over the place.I will try to get some video of it.Oughta make an interesting viewing.The noise is actually pretty bad.I didn`t know a little cartridge like this could make so much noise but that recoil compensator makes this rascal loud.

Hey Leonard.I tried ordering the 85 grain Sierras but Midway was out so I went with the Noslers for a trial.I have a one hundred, 75 gr VMax`s that I bought for my son Cody`s Ruger compact in 243 Win.Ive thought about trying them but the Noslers should do the trick.I didn`t know you were a big fan of the 6mm Rem.So far I really like mine.Its easy to load for and based on the legendary 7x57mm case...You know its a winner.. [Wink]

[ October 15, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 15, 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just a little mystified about a muzzle break on a 6MM?

Yes, I like that cartridge. If I ever got so hard up that I was down to my last rifle, it would be chambered in 6MM Remington.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard..Yeah I know on the muzzle break.I didn`t understand the need for it either.I swapped my dad in law a Ruger 25-06 for this rifle.I had been previously handloading ammunition for him and I did the initial testing for safety and accuracy along with load development so I knew it would shoot.He needed something a little bigger for deer and feral hogs and wanted my 25-06 so I traded.Back to the brake though,If I had built this rifle it would not have a break on it.I do not care much for them except on a really bad kicker.I don`t have one on my Model 70 Win in 300 Win Mag and don`t plan on one.I do have a ultralight 7mm Rem Mag though that is a kicking little SOB and will soon wear one... [Wink]

--------------------

sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 10:33 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently had a light weight calling rifle built with a brake on a .22-243,solely for the purpose of minimizing muzzle jump,so I can watch the bullet strike.Sometimes it's tough to tell a hit or miss in the tall thick stuff or whatever.I thought if I did'nt like it,I could always screw it off and screw on a cap.Killed 30 coyotes with it so far and it's great,functions as described.As a added bonus, it seems to confuse multible coyotes that respond to the call as to what direction the gun fire is coming from,creating a bit of confusion as to which direction to flee.The jury is still out on that aspect.The only multibles I've called in so far,is a group of four that was my first quadruple kill and a triple where I got only one because of the brush.Hearing protection is a must,after 40+ years of shooting, my ears have gotten sensitive to muzzle blast with or without a brake,been using the cheap foam earplugs.I always use sticks,rarely have a need to shoot prone.I'd take the brake off if I had another shooter with me on a stand.Keeping that sight picture after the shot, sure is nice.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sparky..That sounds like a nice rig you have.I thought about having a 6mm-284 or another .22 wildcat of some sort built but I have enough rifles in small calibers for now..Or as my wife says."Don`t you have enough guns?"..Pure blasphemy.. [Roll Eyes] You can never have enough guns.
How do you like that wildcat 22-243?

--------------------

sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 07:30 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Timber,
Yep,a guy can never have too many guns.I got bit real hard by the custum built gun thing a few years ago,it's never ending.As soon as I receive a new one,I'm already thinking about the next one.
I got a few heavy barrelled varmint rifles that I've lugged around chasing coyotes with and finally built the light version.It's a pure joy to carry around and to shoot with.
The caliber is a .22-243 Middlested to be exact, with a 30 degree shoulder,(a standard .243 case has a 20 degree).Shooting 55 grain Ballistic tips at 3850 fps.Wanted something that shoots a bit flatter than my .22-250,flat out to 300-325 yards without any holdover,just point and shoot.
That 6/284 is on my list too.
Sparky

sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 09:45 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Timber
looked over at your suggested handloaders site for the 204 and noticed your interest in the .22-284.I've got a .224 Vais which shares the same company.I'm getting between 4350-4380 fps with 50 grain Ballistic tips.1 3/4" high at 100 yards is 5" low at 400,for a true 400 yard gun.I set it up just for coyotes.I killed 142 coyotes with it last year and maybe 10 of those were over 300 yards.It's a real shame to whack a dog standing there at 50 yards or even at the typical called in ranges with it,a real waste of fire power.However,that kind of trajectory gives me the confidence to just point and shoot and not worry if the distance is 250 or 350,I have a tough time judging distance in broken country.Really fun to shoot'tho,It's hard to resist blowing up a distant Jackrabbit that is spotted after a calling stand is a bust.Every shot is precious due to throat wear.I take very good care of the bore.I suspect I'll get a 1000 rounds out of it,but even if I just got 500 ,that's allot of coyotes for the price of a re-barrell.

Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 03:03 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sparky..Yes sir.I already have a set of dies for a 22-284 quite a bit of load data that was taken with a specific custom rifle.In another year or so I will likely build me one.You are right,It is a devastating cartridge... [Wink] [Big Grin]
I agree with you that it is a waste on a close dog.Most of my shots are taken inside 100 yards with up to as close as 30 feet.I most often use a little 223 Rem and it does just fine inside 300 yards for me.Kills em pretty derned dead but I have a thing for Wildcats and custom rifles.Its like a bad habit I guess.I love to handload and I love accurate rifles and I love to tinker,so the Wildcat route is pretty much my path.Some would say we are strange for not wanting the same SAMMI stuff as everyone else has but thats half the fun of em.
I agree on your barrel life.Barrel wear is part of performance.Barrels cost money,qquality ones that is but with 142 dead yotes last year.I`d say you`ve already got your moneys worth. [Big Grin]
Gene [Wink]

[ October 18, 2005, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Timberghost,
The discussion went pretty far afield - but here's a load you might try in your 6mm. I've been using it for 30-something years in a Rem 700 varmint in stock configuration except the Timney trigger and a paint job. It's produced some good groups at the range and put a lot of fur down.

Nosler 55 gr ballistic tip

50.5 gr Hodgdon H380 chronos around 3910 fps.

53.0 gr was listed as maximum and actually gave the tightest groups of anything I tried, and the list was a long one, but it chrono'd 4100+ fps and it appeared to flatten primers about 10% of the time, hence the lighter load.

Generally, at least on shots over a hundred yards, the 55 gr bullet is not exiting and leaves the fur intact, on coyotes, anyway.

The same gun made a trip to Africa and took Springbok, Reedbuck, Duiker, and Bushbuck using that load also...

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Nahuatl..I`ve never used H380 in anything.I have been curious about it in some other rifles as well.Appreciate your tip on it and I may just try it with a light bullet.. [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters