The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Perfect Predator gun (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Perfect Predator gun
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted January 02, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, I said gun, not rifle. Every person has a different application to hunting predators. And for some, the perfect weapon of choice might be a shotgun, not a rifle.

What is your favorite, and how does your application of it, make it perfect for what you do?

When hunting fox and coyotes at night, by myself. My favorite was a ten gauge shotgun loaded with either copper plated lead BB's or #4 buck. If I had someone hunting with me, to work the light and call, I preferred the 17 Remington. for it's pinpoint accuracy and lack of fur damage.

For daytime calling, When I want to save the fur. I still go with the 17 Remington. It is rare for me to shoot a called coyote at over 100 yards, most are 25-50 yards out

For midrange shooting ( 400 yards and under ), or when I don't plan on saving any fur, I go with a 243 Winchester, or 7mm Remington magnum.

For longrange shooting, I like my 300 Tomahawk. But I am thinking once again about building a new rifle in 7mm for this application.

How do you prefer to hunt predators, and what gun have you found to be the best suited for your application of it?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first place, there is not a perfect predator gun. I think what Tim is asking is; what do you use, and why, and in what ways can it be improved?

The reason I say this is because there are so many differing places to hunt and different styles of hunting them. Never mind the fact that a lot of hunters select a different "weapon" (I dislike that word) depending on their target animal, be it little foxes, delicate bobcats or 50+ pound eastern coyotes.

I have different style rifles for day hunting, in different states. I have four different rifles for night hunting, different calibers and different configuration, with different glass.

First, what would be a proper chambering for a dedicated predator gun? In my case, it has to start with a 22-250 and go up from there, and if there is any downsizing in consideration of the animal, it has to be in bullet selection.

The heaviest dedicated coyote caliber I use is 25'06 Ackley, the heaviest bullet is 100 grain, in 25 or 24 caliber.

I have known some capable hunters that use a combo gun, Savage or Valmet. Seems to work, but there is a serious delay between the first and second shots, from either barrel. Heavy, lacks a few refinements, handling is a little awkward. I'd give one of these guns a little more thought if they were chambered in a serious predaor cartridge. They seem to be mostly 222 or 223, or 308 under a twelve gauge, sometimes with a 3" chamber.

As much thought as you put into selecting a rifle based on the cartridge, you should put into the scope. I see some odd combinations, 6X18 scope with a large objective mounted on a relatively short range chambering. And, same thing with powerful cartridges, but using a scope meant for prairie dog towns. Well, to each his own?

If a guy has varied terrain to hunt, brush and wide open plains, does some night hunting and day stands and handloads....all predator hunters should handload, as far as I'm concerned. But, if you are looking for the all around rifle, take your pick of the various factory rifles out there, paying close attention to stock design and select either a 22-250 or maybe a 243? Too much gun for you fur hunters? Well, that's another subject, altogether.

So, what you got?

Good hunting. LB

edited for spelling

[ January 02, 2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Knows what it's all about
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
In the thicker stuff which I try to stay away from I use a short barreled 17REM and 12 guage 3 1/2inch w/#4. In the more open stuff I use 6BR with 55grain BTs or my 22-243AI with 75grain Amax. Like Tim Im in the process of having a 7mm most likely WSM built for that really long range stuff. I think the most versatile round to be the 243.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Until this year I would have totally agreed with you.As far as the .22-250 and up goes.Since most of my calling for the last 20 years has been with one(.22-250).With some calling with a .223 Rem. and a .223 AI with which I much prefer the latter of the two.But I've been using my .204 ruger alot this year and it continues to impress the hell out of me.I haven't been calling a lot this year but have managed to kill 14 coyotes so far with it, from 75-300+ yards bang/flops except one,that one I hit high,but he never went more than 5 feet from where I hit him.Granted it still has along way to go to prove anything but hey it a nice start.If I were calling for big numbers,or contests and/or predator control I'd still go with the .22-250 but that .204 is a damn fun gun to shoot. [Wink] Good Hunting Chad

[ January 02, 2006, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! Hawkeye's back! We missed you and Mark Zepp at the campout. What happened? Be sure and tell Mark that I did not wish to piss him off with my comments about his video. I know that he is wanting to offset production expenses, but some people are offended by so many plugs and commercial endorsements. Other than that, I enjoyed it very much.

In any case, congratulations, you made some excellent shots on that video.

How many shots do you have through your 22/243AI? What twist? How many shots do you think you have left?

Good hunting. LB

[ January 02, 2006, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
My main target animal is the coyote. When I started driving down to north texas every year, I found that the range can be long and the wind can be horribly strong. I call all of my coyotes in daytime, and I lost a few at the longer ranges with my .22-.250. I didn't like that very much, so I had a .25-06 built on a Mauser 98 action. I topped it with a Bushnell Trophy model scope in 3x-9x-40mm. Shooting 90 grain Sierra hpbt "Gamekings" out of that quarter bore at around 3500 fps accounted for many dead coyotes. Once I learned to whack em on the run, I didn't lose very many coyotes with that bugger. I ended up having a second Mauser 98 built in .25-06 for a backup. In later years I had a short action Mauser built in .257 Ackley. I did a lot of the work on the Ackley myself, so I have a special kind of fondness for it. I mounted a Nikon Monarch, 3x-9x-40mm scope on this rifle and currently shoot the 100 grain flat base Sierra "Pro-hunter" bullets through it at 3200 fps. The only down side to the Mauser rifles is that they are heavy. That part didn't bother me ten years ago, but it does now. If I ever decide to plunk down the bucks for a new coyote rifle to use while calling, it will probably be a Browning A bolt "Micro hunter" in .243 Winchester. It will probably wear a 3x-9x-40mm Burris scope, and I will probably shoot the Sierra 85 grain "Gameking" bullets through it.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard we were hunting are way up to the campout on saturday I wasnt doing very well called it a day early and went home. I would bet Mark would not be pissed off. As far as the 22-243 goes Ive got close to 250 rounds fired by the way its an 8twist, Ive been told I wont make 500 rounds Ive been told 600 to 700 max. Wait and see I guess. Im not pushing at 3410fps. Thanks on the congrats on the shooting.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 09:37 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Two seasons ago I had a .224 Vais built,for a dedicated coyote rifle,thinking I needed a"point and shoot gun".Velocity with a 50 grain Ballistic tip is at 4350 fps.Set it to hit 1.75" at 100 yards.It hits 5" low at 400 and 10" at 450.I killed 142 coyotes with it last year.Maybe 10 of those 142 where killed over 300 yards.The longest was at 360 and I did'nt allow for holdover,it's like a lighting bolt.Don't care how long the bore lasts,there's more at the store.However,If I get just 500 rounds with it, that's allot of Coyotes for the price of a re-barrell.I try and clean the bore after every 10 rounds to prevent carbon build up.After 250 rounds,It takes an additional seating depth of .035" to touch the lands from when it was new.I think it's a real shame to use this baby at the typical range a called in coyote is shot at,way too much horsepower,but catch one out in an open field or pasture and it kicks ass.This season I've been using a .22 Middlestead with 55 NBT's,so far so good.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rob Love
Member # 723

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 03:42 AM      Profile for Rob Love   Email Rob Love         Edit/Delete Post 
This I believe we all will or have embarked upon.
I’m currently working on a multi-duty tool for calling and deer. It’s a .223 with an 8 1/2” Twist and McCormick trigger from GA Precision. You can see what it will look like at their web site. I’m mounting my existing Night Force on top and then a red dot on the side or a laser. This should give me decent accuracy with the heaver bullets out to 600yds and for the close movers the red dot would provide quick target acquisition. Well we‘ll see when it gets here and I can get it to the range.
I hear the is a 1000 yd range about 60 miles west of me in a town called Mingus, This will be a fun experiment.

Posts: 24 | From: TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Saddlemaker
Member # 321

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Saddlemaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
When I had a trappers license and lived in California I used a 222 Remington with a 52grain Speer hollowpoint and hand calls. Now that I'm in Arizona I enjoy using either a lever action or single shot rifle 45-70 to 45-110 and hand calls since smokeless powder is just a passing fad. I kinda like the smell of black powder. I try to keep the shots under 100 yards, 50 to 75 being better. I still use hand calls but am going to move into the 21 century and try a electronic.

Since my hunting partner refuses to believe the Calender went past about 1881 I'm afraid when I use the electronic I'll be hunting alone or with a different partner and my triple deuce again.

For long range I prefer the 243 AI with 107grain Hornady or Sierra and a 1 in 7 twist. I've seen these rifles shoot right along with the big loudenboomers at the 1000yard range at Three Points with a lot less recoil. In my mind less recoil means less fatigue at the end of the string.

Posts: 15 | From: Tucson, Arizona Territory | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know Three Points?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 01:39 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as for shotguns. My favorite, was my Marlin 12ga. model 55 36"barrel, 3"mag Goose Gun. She was a lug, to carry. But she really reached out there.

As for rifle's, I like this new Oly .243WSSM AR upper. Bucks the wind pretty good. Pretty accurate out of the box.

I've only killed one coyote with it, so far[95gr Win BT]. A little female. To much trauma after the 2nd tag. Hope thats not the norm [with this ammo]on the long ones.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Afew months back,i stated [something to the effect] i didn't care much about using a shotgun on coyotes.Too many coyotes were getting away,hit with a shotgun(not by me)but others.

After watching the video[Predator Pursuit,]made a believer out of me.I since purchased an H&R topper deluxe in 12 gauge 31/2 inch mag.It's a light single shot that kicks like hell!
If it weren't for the shotgun,i would be a few coyotes shorter this season.My favorite rifle is the remington,in 243 winchester,using the 100 gr.pointed soft point.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Saddlemaker,

I've sat on that 1,000 yard firing line a number of times, listening to the Cowboy action shoots going on below. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I grew up shooting cap and ball revolvers, and keep thinking about picking up another one.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Saddlemaker
Member # 321

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Saddlemaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
The Three Points range I'm referring to is South of Tucson on the Ajo Highway.

Tim,
I got a limit of quail for the first time (15) last Sunday. Found a water tank South of Marana that held more quail than I've seen in a long time. Lot's of coyote sign but to close to homes to be safe. Hows the birds in your neck of the woods?

Posts: 15 | From: Tucson, Arizona Territory | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I know the place quite well. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2006 07:49 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Just pick one. Have added four more sice this picture was taken.
 -

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put another spin on this one. My bottom limit is the .223 and I shoot my AR alot in the winter. Close in called coyotes and it is the handiest damn pickup gun ever. It has accounted for numerous cats and coyotes out the window, and it has saved me a couple cats that pulled out of traps as I pulled up in a vehicle, but in the summer time it collects dust. But I do have an upper limit and it has nothing to do with caliber necessarily. But recoil. I want to see the bullet hit. I want to know if a coyote was hit and where, for me it is a must, and if the gun is too light or the load to heavy I can't tolerate it. I want to see a coyote crumple (or run if thats the case) so that I know what I am doing next. Whether it is following up a shot, concentrating on a second coyote, or just picking up brass.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I since purchased an H&R topper deluxe in 12 gauge 31/2 inch mag.It's a light single shot that kicks like hell!

Hey Melvin, what load/choke are you running in your H&R?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep it fairly simple, I use three different rifles,all small caliber, considering what most others use. I have a CZ 22 hornet that I use when I know Im just going to the tight rocky canyons in the mountains for fox and the possible bobcat. Most all my other calling situations I take either my 19 Calhoon hornet, or my 17 rem, either one works equally well on coyotes, unless Im going to the really wide open areas I sometimes hunt, where I could possibly have a long shot situation, then the 17 rem is in the case.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 02:12 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m in the camp that doesn’t believe that there is just one perfect predator hunting rifle. Like several of you have already pointed out, different places, different conditions and times make room for different rifles to cover each.

Me, I call daylight stands the vast majority of the time. In typically fairly open Western high desert terrain. And do like to skin my coyotes when the fur is good. I also very much prefer to see my shots in the scope, like Cal brought up. This has led me to using a .17 caliber for most of my calling. Since custom rifles and hand loading are hobbies I enjoy, my taste in chamberings tends to be kind of esoteric. But really, for the most part, I’m not getting anything done with my hot rods that can’t be done with factory chambers.

My current favorite “every stand” rifle is a stainless Model Seven action in a McMillan Rem. Classic pattern stock, with a Lilja #4, 24” long, chambered for the .17 Predator which is based on the .223 case and runs a couple hundred fps faster than the .17 Rem.

I really like my .17 Mach IV for a lot of situations too, but it hasn’t made it out this year, just loving on my .17P too much.

I’m working on a new one with a very similar configuration, except with barrels chambered in .20-250 and 6-284. Those will be for situations where either I’m not overly concerned with fur, targets of opportunity out there on the far side of 300 yards, or where I just want to be sure the coyotes don’t take a step after getting hit. I’ve been using a .22-250AI and a 6AI for this stuff, and they work great. But I like trying new stuff.

As for stocks, I’ve settled on the Remington Classic pattern. I don’t care for wide forends on a calling rifle. Or Monte Carlo’s or raised cheekpieces. Or vertical pistol grips. Or palm swells. Or thumbholes. I do like checkering, for it’s function not it’s looks. In other words, I pretty much eschew all the “features” found on a lot of factory “varmint rifle” stocks. Just give me a plain old “classic” style stock for my calling rifles, thank you very much! For a calling rifle, I’m not the least bit adverse to walnut, either. Although most of mine do sport synthetics, and I do appreciate the advantages inherent in a good synthetic.

Scopes… Kind of a do as I say not as I do kind of thing. Almost all of my calling rigs have 4.5-14x40’s. But that’s because most of my calling rifles also get used for shooting rock chucks. I really think a fixed 6x is all a dedicated calling rifle needs. Nothing wrong with a plain old 3x9 either. But, most of mine carry more glass than needed for a dedicated calling rifle.

So, I spend a lot of money on rifles, pursuing the perfect rifle for every situation. But I think a guy could do just fine, and have a lot of fun, simply choosing his favorite factory rifle in his choice of .22-250, .220 Swift or .243 Win., and topping it with either a high quality fixed 6x or 3x9. I’ve got a 700 ADL synthetic, in .22-250, with a Burris 6X on it, bone stock except for my trigger job, and I think I could use it and nothing else, and kill almost all the same coyotes I kill now.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dogcaller
PAKMAN
Member # 776

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 03:37 PM      Profile for dogcaller   Email dogcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
1st post! [Cool]

My favorite in an 18" Wilson AR; optics vary a bit. Usually a Leupold 1.75-5X, or an EoTech. The EoTech is FAST! Whether I hunt mountains or desert, the shots are rarely more than ~150 yds (that would be a long one), and I like the fast follow-up shots for the runners.

I'll use any good hp or psp load, but I have a soft spot in my heart for 40 gr. ballistic tips.

If I'm with a buddy, one of us will carry a tube. Mine alternates between a short barrelled Benelli M1 or a Mossberg 835 "goose grabber" 3.5" chambered 12 ga.

My only complaint is NOT ENOUGH TIME!! [Mad]

I just noticed that Sparky is also in SoCal. That's a lot of dogs! Go ahead and just email me the directions to your hunting honey pot! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1 | From: SoCal | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,most of my shots are at close range...9 pellet-00BK...I'm switching to no.4
If your shooting in open country,try the no.4 buck,i think it is better.[you get a much better pattern.]should be good out to fifty yards.

[ January 04, 2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
rooster32
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 09:06 PM      Profile for rooster32   Email rooster32         Edit/Delete Post 
My .17 MIV is my favorite coyote gun right now. Built on a Rem action with a #4 Lilja 24" 9 twist 4 groove all wrapped up in a H&S stock. Has a 3x9 VII on top. Shooting 25gr Bergers it works well for me. My shots are usually under 150yrds.

I have a .221 FB that I like to shoot and have taken a few coyotes with it, but since building the MIV it doesn't get out much.

Was actually looking around today for a .243 to add to the collection. Figure my son (6yrs old) will need a rifle to hunt deer with shortly and figured I could whack a few coyotes with it in the next few years till he's ready [Wink] (at least that the story the wife is getting).

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Every time you get to talking about that .17 Predator, I get all wishy washy on what rifle I want to build the most.

I really want to build a big new boomer in 7mm to reach out and touch a few things. But a light weight, handy little calling rifle like your .17 Predator just sounds like too much fun.

I wonder if Dan will make a deal on two barrel orders? [Big Grin] (I wonder if the wife would get pissed if I ordered two barrels? [Eek!] )

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters