The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Some primer pressure opinions please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some primer pressure opinions please?
Doggitter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Shot these yesterday as the first time out for the .17 R. reloads. Berger 25's, Rem brass, Winchester WSR, CZ 527, Varget. Started at 23.5 and went 4 jumps to 24.5gr.s, which is what these pics are. What do the pics says to you regarding pressure? I'm thinking it could use a pin bushing job but prssure is ok??? It IS the max listing by Hodgdon. Loren.
 -
 -
 -

[ March 20, 2006, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say much about the pressure, from here, but you're right as rain about the firing pin needing a bushing job.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CZ just like yours, albiet it with a slim custom barrel, not factory tube. I use WSRP too, but don't share your choice of bullet or powder selection. I load the 25 grain Hornady hp, on top of 22.5 grains of RL15, and have never seen any beginning pressure signs like yours is exhibiting?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 20, 2006 10:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, I can't agree with Vic; and I don't disagree, often.

I see a firing pin problem. Judging by the example, you should be able to see a sloppy fit on the bolt face with the naked eye. Remove the bolt, release the firing pin and closely evaluate the clearances.

Good hunting. LB

edited for clarity

[ March 20, 2006, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 10:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a gunsmith check the fireing pin spring, maybe a little weak. also try rem 71/2 primers. as long as the material is'nt binding when opening the bolt i would'nt worry about it. If you think you have to spend the extra money then you could have the fireing pin hole rebushed. Could also go with a oversized fireing pin and have it ground down to fit tighter.

[ March 20, 2006, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get feeble in my old age, somebody please remind me not to buy this rifle.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 04:50 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment, I can't recall ever shooting a 17 Remington that did NOT cup the primers, when shooting any where close to a full load.

Yours look like a normal full load to me.

Edit:

A few years ago, I went though the same thought process that you are in right now. Folks kept telling me I needed to either get and oversized pin, or have the bolt rebushed.

But I couldn't see spending a couple of hundred bucks to fix a "problem" that didn't hurt anything. Sure your spent primers look ugly, but you are just going to throw them away, so who cares?

Save your money for the gas station so you can afford to go hunting. I bet that rifle will kill coyotes, ugly primers or not!

[ March 21, 2006, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 05:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it only costs $40 to have the pin turned down and the hole bushed by one of the best in the business.

You'd never want to get an oversized pin though. Bigger pin = more surface area = equal more blanked primers. You want a smaller pin. Best just to turn down the original. I like to have mine turned down to .062 and then bushed. Even when they don't have a sloppy fit to start with. The smaller pin has been proven more effective for consistant ignition (most current custom bench rest actions come with .062 pins standard these days), and the smaller surface area means that you won't see anything like what Loren has there, until your pressures are getting way up there.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I may or may not deal with the pin. I'd like to try a bit hotter load and see what shows up. May be able to go a couple more tenths without problems but it also may not give enough benefit to make a diff. Think I'll try it...
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, be careful, because with more pressure, you get more brass flow and the possibility of that brass sticking in the firing pin recess and jambing the pin in the "out" position, like it was soldered. Then, if you don't notice the problem, it may fire as you chamber the next round? I don't think you should ignore that cratering and increase the charge.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 04:48 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

It's kind of like eating only one chip out of the bag. As long as the rifle is going to be in the shop, I feel I might as well have the action bedded and the trued.

Maybe a new crown cut.

And if I am going spend that much on the rifle, it would really need a better scope and new rings.

Maybe a new custom stock and one of those tooled leather slings.

Who can take a rifle to a gunsmith and only spend $40?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is a muzzle break totally out of the question?

All I'm saying is; okay you have cratering and perhaps it is not a big deal, something you can live with. But. If you decide to work up that load to where it flattens primers a little bit, and then back off a touch, as most people do, that cratering might become more serious.

Pierced primers damage your boltface, and can get more serious than that, they can weld the case head to the boltface, and at the very least, put you out of action, while in the field. And, with a cartridge of that size with a bore of that size, pressures increase extremely fast, from safe, to dangerous.

Okay, you probably know all this, but with that cratering problem, you have a known weakness, so I would either leave it as is, or return the rifle for an evaluation. I don't see this as a problem you should have to deal with, if you bought it new, recently?

With the bogus firearm lawsuits that companies have to deal with, I think they will pay close attention to your problem and want to do something about it.

Good luck, LB

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters