The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Chronograph (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Chronograph
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it was windier than heck, I went to the range today, practice is good no matter what. [Smile]

I got to shoot my 7.62x54 through a chronograph.

Using the 123 gr Hornady SPs, pushed by 47gr of IMR 4895, I got an average of 2495.5fps.
I dunno if that's fast or slow, but I got a pretty consistant speed (2484-2508, for a variance of only 24fps).

I think Leonard is right, when I have time to think about aiming, I mess up. If I "just shoot" I do a lot better, I shot my best 50 yd group in under 30 seconds (loading one shot at a time into the magazine)... breath out, aim, fire, load.

I have yet to repeat my ragged hole, or even a group I could cover with a quarter, but it's good 'nuff fer me. [Wink]

It seems like it takes about a whole box of shells to calm down after a really good cleaning too (which I did, knocking rocks out of the bank behind the 200 yd targets).

Is a chronograph really a good thing? [Big Grin] Poor Red, all his guns (SKS, 30-06, and .444) were quite a bit slower than the numbers he expected, and he was feeling pretty bad... but the Handi-Hornet saved the day, running a few hundred feet faster than expected (just like our .222 does), and grouping the Nosler 40 grain ballistic tips very well.

They opened the gate to my favorite calling area last week (been locked for the last three months), I'm gonna go make one last attempt to kill a stooooopid gat-dang coyote tomorrow... gawd I hope I stumble onto some fricken luck out there.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
greasewood
Knows what it's all about
Member # 815

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 11:00 PM      Profile for greasewood           Edit/Delete Post 
I've wanted to get into handloading, but up to now, never have the time.

Fortunately, with an upcoming shift change, I'll have more time.

There's a lot of reloading stuff that you can buy, including a chronograph.

People develop accurate loads for their rifles all the time without a chronograph, so how much do you gain by using one?

Posts: 13 | From: Nevada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, greasewood. Glad to have you on board.

Yes, I developed accurate loads before I owned a real chronograph, but I was always dependent on published data, for my velocity and had to compare one load against another by how high each was shooting, relative to the point of aim.

So, a chronograph tells you right away which is the best load, without excessive pressures. And, it gives you the consistancy, shot to shot, reasons for fliers.

It's just another tool, but it's unique information that would be hard to get, otherwise.

Good hunting. LB

[ March 24, 2006, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
greasewood
Member # 815

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for greasewood           Edit/Delete Post 
LB,

Thanks for the greeting. I'm glad to be onboard.

My experience with reloading has been with pistol cartridges, on a Dillon Square Deal.

I've looked into rifle reloading, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of different types of presses and all the other gadgets and gizmos.

I'd like to develop some loads for my 22-250 to replace the factory ammo that I'm now shooting.

Single stage, or progressive reloader? What do you guys think?

Posts: 13 | From: Nevada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Greasewood,

It depends on your objective. Do you want to make a lot of bullets to fling a lot of lead, or make fewer more accurate bullets?

Progressives can really turn out the bullets, but at the cost of accuracy.

I'd keep the Progressives for the handguns, and get a Rockchucker for the rifles.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an example of how a Chronograph can help.

This morning I was working up a new load with AA8700 I've never tried this powder before. I was shooting 3 shot groups over the chrony, but really wasn't finding what I was looking for on paper. One group gave me an ES ( Extreme Spread ) of only 10 FPS. But on paper the group was over 2" nearly all vertical.

Two main causes of vertical spread are inconstant velocity and shoulder pressure. ( Mostly shoulder pressure )

So I tried that load again, free recoil. Now I'm glad that I did, my next group was barely over 3/4" And the ES stayed at 10

Now I can plug the velocity that I got from the Chrony into my ballistics program and get a drop chart that may not get me on the bulls eye at longer ranges, but it should be close enough to get me on paper. Saving me a lot of extra rounds fired.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 5 posted March 26, 2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Any advice on which reasonably priced chronograph to buy?

Thanks

[ March 26, 2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is a large problem, Lonny. I really think the best "reasonable" chrono on the market is the one I have; a Oehler 35P. They recently announced that the were discontinuing that model. They also make the ballistic laboratory, I think it is the model 43, but that is a lot more money. Maybe they have plans for something else for the hobbyist, I don't know? But, parts for the 35, and the 35P flew off the shelves right after the announcement.

Of what is left, my guess is the Pact is a much better machine than the Chrony, but I don't have any experience with either one. Just bits and pieces of conversation gleaned off the internet, and while at the range.

If nothing else, borrow an Oehler from a friend, leave a deposit, whatever? Years ago, before I owned one, I used to pay a buck a shot at the public range, but that leaves a lot to be desired, if you ask me?

Maybe some (Oehler) machines will show up on Ebay, some must have been purchased in the frenzy strictly for speculation?

Good hunting. LB

edit: I can't give you an exact figure on what a 35P costs, or did cost? The "P" stands for printer, by the way, you can buy it with or without. I got mine from Brownells, and including 2 lighting stands and a longer 4' spacing pipe, and the carrying case, I think it was somewhere between $450 and $500?

[ March 26, 2006, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 11:41 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Your "shoulder presseure" statement gives me a lot to think about.

I really need to do something about this stock... the forend is rubbing again (the action has sunk back into the stock after the shim job), the angle of the wrist is awkward, the cheek too low, and the toe angle is wrong (the sharp edged steel buttplate is killing me, a couple boxes of 180gr Winny white box, and I'm hurt [Frown] ).

I have an idea to do a laminated AK style tailstock, with a pistol grip, a cheek similar to the "Winslow" pattern on Mr. C's old work horse (and our Newton/Mauser), and a better toe angle (with a limbsaver pad), by splicing it in just behind the action.
Bedding the action, shortening the forend (exposing the barrel), and camo'ing it, would finish it up nicely.

Greasewood,

RCBS makes a start-up kit that includes a Rockchucker Jr press, they seem a pretty good (and popular) way to go.

Leonard,

I'd have gladly paid a buck a shot, but the guy was nice enough to turn down any offer of payment.
He did make me prove I had $150 on me, and let us shoot over it, on the "you shoot it you own it" plan.

We tried to talk him into just selling it to us used, and upgrading... we almost had it.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, it's coming....
"I really need to do something about this stock... "
You're changing things around on this gun, fixing this problem, modifying that.... Consider that as you go, you may have been better off to get a real hunting gun. Been there. done that. Spent a lot of time and effort fussing with one that wasn't ever going to be what I wanted. Sure, I had it and each "upgrade" didn't soak me much. But, wish I hadn't "been there". Sorry if I'm squashing toes here but there's a better life out there... :>)

[ March 26, 2006, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Doggitter ]

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
K, I'm not sure you understand what Tim meant by shoulder pressure. It's the difference between snugging the stock up tight against your shoulder, and not touching it, at all, allowing free recoil.

Good hunting. LB

considering the previous comment, he's right, of course. But there is something to be learned by assuming a project such as yours, even if when you are finished, it still lacks a certain "refinement".

edit: the offer by the guy with the chrono is reasonable, considering that (last I heard?) sky screens cost $50 each, and an Oehler has three.

[ March 26, 2006, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Leonard.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Doggitter,

So far the changes I made didn't take long at all (less time than it took to clean it of cosmoline), and haven't cost a dime.
All I have "done" is shim the action (to float the barrel) which cured the diagonal stringing, and changed/tried bullets, and powders.

After changing the stock, I'll sell off the military parts I won't need, which should nearly pay for the rifle itself (and a pair of swivel studs, so I can use my good speed sling).

You're right, things have changed for me, and I could now go out and buy anything I want. But when I started this, I had to scrape together the $79 just to buy the thing.

The Remington .222 will probably be my main calling rifle (now that the Sako extractor throws empties into the next county [Smile] ), but I don't generally bail on a project (once I've started) until I finish it.

I don't ever expect to turn this "sow's ear" into a silk purse, but it's already a good sow's ear bag.
And I think I'd enjoy making it more comfortable as much as the comfort (even if it never goes hunting).

Leonard,

I dang near asked Tim what he meant (I was lost on bullet shoulder for a minute).
But I got it.

Yeah, when finished my M-44 custom will lack a certain refinement, but in the same sense so do my "custom" calls, and I'm okay with that. [Wink]

And at the same time it will have a level of refinement few other Mosin-Nagant's have achieved... the nicest "beater" around, for less than the price of a steak.

Being unique has value, for me. [Smile] So does being frugal.

The chronograph I shot over had two pairs of V sticks, and a blue "base" on a tripod. The $150 covered the base only, none of the wires, printer, benchtop screen, etc.
If he'd have sold it to us, the price would have gone up some, and/or we'd have needed to buy some accesories.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The "sow's ear"...

-

Krusty  -

--------------------

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Got any before fotos Krusty? I guess I hadnt seen it before?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Before (not my rifle);

-

Krusty  -

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted September 14, 2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!! I had no idea by looking that was an old 30cal carbine. Pretty neat idea.

Had a buddy in high school that deer hunted with one of those with a 30 round clip. Didnt shoot the straightest, but he could lay down enough fire to get the job done most times. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Krusty, I was wondering where you were haven't seen any post lately. Good luck on your hunting.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
doggin coyotes
Member # 914

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 08:12 PM      Profile for doggin coyotes           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you'll ever find a 30 round *clip* for a Mosin M44. And some folks might call ya an amatuer for calling a MAGAZINE a clip. Kinda like calling a coyote a yote or dog. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10 | From: colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so just what is the difference between a magazine and a clip?

I've always considered a magazine to be a storage compartment for stacked rounds, and a clip was a magazine that could be removed.

Do I have it backwards? What's the difference?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 09:08 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know either Tim?

I am an amatuer in the area of military surplus firearms though...

--------------------
Andy

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 09:20 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you're compass is pointing South. A clip is usually used one time like the stripper clips on the Springfield 03. Also the pop out clips of the M1 Garand. A magazine is intended for reuse after being empted like most of the semi auto pistols and rifles made lately.

In these parts clip and magazine mean the same thing.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
varmint hunter nailed it.
A clip is what is used to load the magazine.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most of us old M1 soldiers know the difference. Kids!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 05:45 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters