The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » has anyone tried tanning coyote hides?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: has anyone tried tanning coyote hides?
RedRabbit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 06:46 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried tanning coyote hides? and what products are best to deliver a soft white tan? I been using Deer Hunter's HIDE TANNING FORMULA, but it doesen't give me the soft white professional quality results.
Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Anymore, I just send them off to a tannery and get them done professionally for that professional look. [Smile] Most tanneries use Lutan-F from Bruce Rittel, and Rittel's offers a pretty good home tanning solution.

http://rittelsupplies.net/

But, again, if I want it to last (and I do) or I'm doing the project for a customer, I just let my tannery in Michigan do it for me. By them time you pickle, flesh, and tan the thing, it's well worth the money to me. Anything up to a coyote, for a mount, I may use Krowtann, but for most things, they go to the tannery to get done right so there are no questions about longevity and endurance.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 05:27 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a bunch with Rittel's EZ100. Not too difficult, although it is time consuming. Nice white, stretchy leather when done.

The quality of the finished tan really depends on how good of a job you do fleshing the skin before starting the tan.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I sent a coyote that Blaine sent me off to be tanned. That is exactly what the guy said that called me when he received it. He said that the quality of the tan is directly related to how well the coyote was put up. Well, Im sure youve seen many of Blaines coyotes put up. It made one hell of a tanned hide.

Makes sense that if you dont have a good base to start with, its hard to put out a good finished product.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a few myself. Coyotes, fox, coons beaver, rabbit. Probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

None of them came out as good as the ones I had professionaly done, and by the time you get done buying all of the parts to do it yourself, you spend about the same as sending it off.

I like Moyle Tannery in ID.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 09:36 AM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Wheres that Moyle Tannery at. I never herard of it, and how much do they charge I may want to send a few that way and how do they want it prepared before you send it.

Cdog,

I'll have to check out those products you mentioned, as Id like to do a few myself, since I have the tools now. hell! even if I added an auto flesher I know It'll still take some time to do, but its something fun to learn, anyhow

Thanks Guys

catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Rude I know...

click here

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Heyburn, Idaho 208 678-3421

www.moytown.com

I used them a couple of years ago and the price was around $18-20 each for coyotes.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem, catskin. I've posted links to the darkside a number of times, myself.

Hmmm? I wonder if they ever sent someone here with a link?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 11:57 AM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure I have, JH, well..? maybe not <g> I never thought much of it until I was told on the black powder boards that posting link to other boards was rude.

Now that I think of it though, maybe that’s only a problem on boards that sell advertising - those that run boards for the love of the sport and forums don't seem to mind?

Shalom

Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Moyle's have good prices on their stuff. On critters coyote size and smaller, fleshing the leather down to uniform thickness isn't critical like it is on deer and larger. If you do plan on sending something off to tan, the initial handling is different than what you generally see with fur trade pelts. Rather than air drying, most tanneries like the hides to be salt dried. Simply ( [Smile] ) turn the ears, split the eyelids, lips, and nose, then rub the hell out of it with salt. Either table or small grade livestock salt work equally well. Cover it well with salt and let sit for 25 hours. Next day, shake that salt off until no more falls off with a good shaking, then re-salt with fresh, clean salt and let sit. If, in 24 hours, you have really wet salt, shake it off and repeat. If not, just let it sit. It's important to place the salted hides on a slanted board to allow the water and other secretions to drain away from the hide. And, this works for coyotes, cats, and other critters after the bulk of the fat and meat have been removed. A coon would still have to be completely fleshed to allow contact of the salt to the leather.

Once you have it salted twice, I let it lay for a couple days, then drape the hide over a 2X2 between to chairs and let it dry. After about a couple more days, it will start to get crusty looking (not Krusty looking, but C-rusty looking. If it got Krusty looking, you'd be best to just toss it.). Now is a good time to roll it loosely and place it in a milk crate that can be set on 2X2's or something to allow air flow beneath and all around it. Let it dry hard as a rock, then ship it to the tannery. Easy as all that.

On a regular year, I'll use up about a half-ton of livestock salt doing this. Many of my customers jockey to get that used salt since our deer just love it. Makes for hellacious salt licks. As a matter of fact, I called from one place this year that was nearby a place I dumped salt for three years up to about five years ago. Believe it or not, the ground there is still white with salt and there are deer tracks all over and a depression where the deer eat the sand, dirt and all.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 04:13 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
That old salt makes a hell of a good weed killer. I used to have a real nasty time with poison ivy and stinging nettles along the river where the kids used to swim. I'd spray poison, but it would only last until the next flood.

Then one year I spread a few bags of water softener salt out on the ground. It turned into a pure sandy beach and lasted for years. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2006, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, Tim,

I dont know why It didn't come to mind, but then it hit me. When I was driving into town I remembered a guard at the plant I used to work at kept telling me to take my hides to Moyles he kept calling it Moyles with an "s" (plural) and when you guys mentioned it, it didn't even click with me, but I got it now. Hell! if you coyote hounds are sending them there then it must be ligitimate. This guard used to BS me about all the coyotes that would just run along side his truck, hang out in the yard, and such, so most of the stuff he said I took with a grain of salt.

Cdog,

I been salting my coyote hides heavy then resalting them just on a hunch, but what you wrote was very informative and confirming I had an idea that the salting had to be heavy, but I didn't know all that other detail about how to prepare one for shipping that help me a bunch.

I dont get alot of coyotes here in these foothills, but what I do get are some good hides and I would rather someone else whos been doing tanning professionally take care of them for me. Ive got me a fleshing board, a good hand fleshing tool, a couple of stretchers and salt isn't that expensive for the ammount I shoot anyway, but thats enough to do some of the work before sending them off.

I really value my hides are they pretty good about getting your hide back to you? instead of someones mongerel No! I dont mean that, but you know what I mean? Im green Ive never done it before how can you tell anyway?

Thanks
RedRabbit

PS, thanks Lonny for the Addy and # I'll be checking into them.

[ March 29, 2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: RedRabbit ]

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 08:56 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Catskin,

thanks for that link Im a beliver those are some good hides and fur Hell! even if I get someones mongrel I'll cherish it if they come back that good.

Ooops! "A hammer is used to stamp owners initials on pelt" I got it! I'll remove my foot now.

[ March 29, 2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: RedRabbit ]

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 09:53 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok! I took the tour, now Im picking my jaw up off the floor. This place has been in my back yard, Im embarrassed now...

But thats better than being bare assed I suppose.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters