The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Muzzle Break ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muzzle Break ?
RedRabbit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 09:13 AM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
We all know theres a difference between felt recoil and noticed Recoil, so heres my question If I put a Vias muzzle break on my .17 Remington even though It probably wont be necessary from some perspectives, but will it eliminate the noticed recoil at all? I understand why the heavier calibers benefit from this due to the ammount of muzzle blast generated, but will there be a noticeable effect on this little mighty mite? I dont want even to see so much as bump in my scope view, except for what I expect from the trigger...

RedRabbit

Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The 17 Remington doesn't have enough Jump at the muzzle for you to notice the difference.

You would be better off hollowing out the stock and adding weight to it.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wouldn't want to offend you, but that idea has little merit.

You must use hearing protection in the field, regardless of the cartridge, if you have a muzzle break.

Adding weight, or using a longer, heavier barrel is a more practical solution that you should have thought of, before.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
I was stupid enough to actually put a brake on my 17 when I had it built it does make a difference but not worth putting one on 17 but if you really want one I will sell you mine
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 02:28 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the noise is increased from their use and that Ive considered. A guy I was hunting with during last years elk season muzzle braked his .300 Ultra we were at the top of the mountain me on one side, him on another and I pushed an elk to him and then he layed the forest down with his artillery, when asked "was that break loud" he said "he didn't notice any difference", that sucker was loud from where I was standing I told him and I was on the back side of the ridge parallel with the elk.

I heard awhile back one of the gun shop owners was saying there was a surge of people doing that to their .17 varmint rifles at one time and thus there was a slow turn around on break instalation, so its prompted me to ask the question if breaks were at all working in that respect (.17s)

Im trying to avoid putting any more weight into this rifle, than it already has, but I might have to do it.

Hawkeye,

Tell me about your muzzle break, what your seeing for the difference.

what flavor of muzzle break is it?

since Its already mated to your rifle why would you want to part with it?

Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 03:41 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
There is less recoil, when shooting steel prairie dog shoots you dont need a spotter because gun does not move. Without brake there is not much movement but used spotter. For shooting coyotes w/out brake you dont lose sight pic so that loud boom is not wanted thats why I quit using brake. Its a Vais.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2006 04:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawkeye, what about that 22/243 you were using when Rich and I were down there? That was an AMax, if I remember correctly, but I don't remember the weight? Do you like it for coyotes? You had a Harris Bipod on it? Prone, does it kick up a lot of dust? How is the loud, for the shooter?

You know, after we left the restaurant, we got snowed on. Called one; I had a lousy shot situation and missed him.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 07:55 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Im using 75amax great on coyotes harris bipod not to much dust even in dusty Az its borderline on break noise. How many wets did you call in? Ucla is getting whipped.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters