The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .204?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: .204?
browning204
Knows what it's all about
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 05:13 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what you guys thought would be a better selection for the eastern coyote, 32grain v-max or the 40grain accutips. I am sighted in with the 32 right now but am thinking if I should go heavier for penetration. Thanks
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 06:14 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I would try the 40, and use it, if your rifle shoots it well.

Even better, try the Hornady 45 gr. ammo, if you can get ahold of it. And again, if your rifle shoots them well.

Or if you handload, get ahold of some Berger 35's, or 40's.

Any of the above will be a better bullet than the 32 Vmax for coyotes.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA pretty much covered it.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 21, 2006 01:29 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks!
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 05:50 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of the vmax bullets. Never tried the accutips. I like Berger 40gr HP. You might give Calhoon 33gr "double HP's" a try. If you're looking for loaded ammo with some of these bullets, you might give these guys a whirl:
http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/hsmrifle/204ruger.htm

My .204 does pretty good with their 40gr berger loads.

Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
claimbuster
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 01:25 PM      Profile for claimbuster   Email claimbuster         Edit/Delete Post 
My 204 really likes the SIE 39gr. BK the best. Shoots bad with either V-Max, doesn't do well with Bergers or Noslers. Got 250 Calhoons and will be trying them next.

--------------------
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."

Posts: 70 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters