The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Question for you .44 mag. shooters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for you .44 mag. shooters
bajabug
Knows what it's all about
Member # 919

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 01:13 AM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone out there now of a load for .44 mag. that I can safely use in a handgun and also in a Ruger carbine? I want to use Unique powder and a 240 gr. cast lead bullet. It would be great to know of a primer that would work good in a handgun, and would not be too soft for the carbine.Realy need your help.

Good hunting. ... Emilio ... Pico Rivera Ca. [Smile]

Posts: 34 | From: Pico Rivera, Ca. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect powder,and great bullet choice, of course Im jaded, that is the exact combination Ive used for my .44s', for many moons.
For 44 special velocities,and just a great all around general purpose load, I like 6.0 grains of Unique under that 240 hard cast bullet. Drop 7.5-8.0 grains under the same bullet,and it has all the punch you'll need for most any task a .44 is up to?
There is still the "gold standard" 44 powders,296,2400 and H110, a stiff dose of any of those powders, with a hunting type jacketed HP or solid, is what most guys carrying the 44s with longer than packing pistol barrel lengths, take to the fields with.
Out of my 4" 629 mountain gun, the 7.5-8.0 grain loading is pushing 900 fps, plenty of poop to poke a 44 hole in anything that lives in Arizona. I have some specialty ammo I picked up, that had a 300 grain hard cast bullet, tipping the 1300 fps mark, damned wicked stuff to light off in a light N-frame like the mountain gun.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 12:26 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ-hunter
Thanks for the reply. The load using Unique powder sounds good to me, What I'm afraid of is piercing the primer when using it in my carbine, if I use pistol primers. I guess the question is, are pistol primers too soft for a rifle, and are rifle primers too hard for a pistol. Which way would you go? [Smile]

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Winchester large pistol primers, for the loads mentioned, will work fine in your carbine.
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 14 posted November 02, 2006 06:51 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Az-hunter

Thanks again Az-hunter, I'll give the Winchester
primers a try this weekend.
Happy hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca. [Smile]

S.Frame
Member # 89

Icon 4 posted November 05, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for S.Frame           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic is right on the money as usual, but you should never fire lead bullets in a Ruger .44 carbine.

If you do, you will foul the gas system and start getting aggravating jams and misfeeds, and eventually wind up with a rather clumsy manual repeater. And it doesn't take a hell of a lot of lead bullet rounds to do it either.

Once fouled by lead, the gas system is a real bitch to clean (ask me how I know [Wink] )

Stick with jacketed bullets in your little deerslayer foresaking all other bullet types and life will be good.

Posts: 27 | From: AhiA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Shaun rightly corrected me, the two carbines I had, were both lever guns,a Marlin and a Ruger. No problem with them using hard cast lead, but with the auto, he is right on.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice, Shaun. I have never understood the desire for lead, hard cast bullets in rifles, generally? Yes, they are damned hard to clean, and in this case, a semi-auto, the focus has been solely on primers. I don't even understand the desire to have one load for two different firearms? I have two 22-250s and two 220 Swifts, and in the past had two 6mm Rems. I never considered developing a single load for two guns. In fact, I go out of my way, different brass and different bullets, spitzers for one and exclusively HPs for the other.

Anyway, I'm glad you brought it up. I didn't think of it.

And, hey! I wrote you an email after you left a message on my machine but got no response? I lost your phone number. Please try again, or give me a valid email or a phone number. I have said before, aside from Bruce Kennedy, you are the next most difficult in cracking your email.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 10 posted November 07, 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
S.Frame,
Thanks for the reply,

I understand the problem with a gas operated rifle. I have the Ruger model Ninety-six lever action and I'm looking for info. on a round I can use in my .44Mag.Ruger carbine and my .44Mag. handgun (that I carry while hunting)I don't want to carry one load for the rifle and another for my handgun.

Happy Hunting .. Emilio .. Pico rivera, ca.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal, Emilio. I talked to Shaun a couple nights ago, and we discussed your question, a little bit. He did mention the lever action Ruger, in which case his comments wouldn't apply, but he also said that nine times out of ten, when a guy says Ruger "carbine" he means the semi-auto.

Now, I wonder why you want to hunt with a handgun, in the first place, especially one that fires the same cartridge as the rifle you are also carrying? It's your choice, and I respect that, but (personally) I hardly ever carry a handgun when hunting with a rifle.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2006 06:42 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive thought along similar lines myself Leonard, though not of a guy wanting to hunt with a handgun, thats fine by me. My question arises when I hear of a guy wanting to know what would be a good back-up handgun when rifle hunting amongst the big bears etc.
Ive always thought if a guy steps on his dick,and gets sideways with a bear,and the rifle can't settle matters, what in the hell does a guy think a handgun will do to bail him out?.....I assume it must be the handgun is easier to place to ones temple, to end your quandry than your rifle barrel is? [Smile]

bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 7 posted November 07, 2006 10:10 PM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
Az-Hunter
I will be using the carbine to hunt four leged critters. The handgun is for protection against two leged critters. I think you already know that.

Happy Hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, Ca.
[Smile]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters