The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » .17 mini 14 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: .17 mini 14
tooslow
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 08:11 AM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever tried to re barrel a mini 14 to .17 cal

currious minds want to know.

Posts: 28 | From: Hesperia, Ca. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 10:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Pat, Pat!

Being new, you prolly don't know what a hot button topic seventeen calibet is. And then, you toss in Mini 14, a generally worthless POS.

Well, I think it might have been done before, so let's see if anybody on HM will admit to it. Might as well spend another grand and get it accurized, right?

On the other hand, pairing up what is considered an inherently accurate cartridge with a rifle that has a well deserved reputation for inaccuracy, well, whatever? Miracles do happen.

I have shot your Mini 14, long time ago, if you recall? Sell it or put it way in the back of the safe. No sense in spending money on it, silk purse/sow's ear type of thing, ya know? [Wink]

(just jerking your chain) (and sharing an opinion) FWIW

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:33 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
My 182 series of Mini 14 was the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. Pure death on coyotes. I used to feel sorry for them when I took it calling and eventually quit using it for fairness sake.
The ignorant and uninitiated have never learned to hold their tongue just so in the corner of their mouth and subsequently can't hit squat with a Mini.

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
OH MAN, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard. I think it was back in the 1940,s that I shot my .17 caliber Daisy with the cocking lever open. I figured the little lever would make a dandy rest when shooting prone. Busted all four fingers I think. Hurt like anything. Never had any use for a .17 after that little experience. Daisy corrected the slamming cocking lever problem since that time, but they are still building .17's I guess.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:45 AM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
Intent was to have a killer round for running shots with no measured recoil, need for a tack driving target rifle would not be needed. Your right about accuracy with my rifle is lacking. I know the .17 is deadly out to 150. Seems like I have never found the right gun for offhand daylight stand away from the rig..

It's fun to dream and tinker even though expense is a factor.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I know the .17 is deadly out to 150"
-----------------------------------
Mine wasn't deadly but boy it was hard on fingers. I did bag a cottontail with it once. He was hiding under a shed, and I smacked him broadside at three feet. No penetration, but left an ugly bruise on the meat right there. [Smile]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 12:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For that fast dodging in and out of cover, I really can't come up with anything in my rack, either?

BUT. I think an AR15 flat top with a Bushnell holopoint, or the one used in combat stuations in Iraq
(can't think of the name of that one, right now?)
You need one with high intensity so you can see it in bright conditions, bu they are great for putting the dot on a coyote's nose.

Of course, you can always "whoop them" or bark at them? Worth a try, for sure.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I shot my .17 caliber Daisy with the cocking lever open. I figured the little lever would make a dandy rest when shooting prone. Busted all four fingers I think. Hurt like anything. Never had any use for a .17 after that little experience.
That brings back memories I had the same thing happen thats right up there with the chunk of hide I removed between my thumb and index finger the first time I shot my Ruger Mark II 25 years ago. [Frown]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 03:55 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
A mans got to know his limitations
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 03:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Leonard said the AR-15 and a Bushnell Holo site would be a good combonation. I happen to have both, but i use the Holo site on my 22 buckmark rifle for coon. Also when useing the holo site you aim with both eyes open, the dominet eye will take over and you will be able to pick up a moveing target much faster..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 04:10 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking follow up shots with a semi auto to eliminate barrel jump, the .17 would be like shooting a 22.rim or mag auto with a lot more attitude.
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 05:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Get an AR chambered in 221 F.B.

--------------------

tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 05:17 PM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the worthless mini already. If I was going the fireball route I would just download the 223.
All that does is defeat the purpose of a HV killer.

I still think the .17 would have less recoil than either the 223 or the 221 IMHO.

The only problem that may crop up with the .17 would be chambering issues in semi mode.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, Pat. Assuming you are interested in the 17 Remington, the standard magazine, bolt, etc. it would be (I think) a compatable converstion.

But, the AR beats the Min 14 in recoil and the very distracting operating rod on the Ruger. That's probably a fair share of your jump, such as it is? You are a handloader, so you can easily go with a 40 gr. VMax and that should cure part of the "recoil" problem you are experiencing.

Then too, you can sell it to somebody and get something better. I sure wouldn't put good money after bad, depending on how much a seventeen barrel and the fitting would cost.

Of course, you're a plumbing contractor, so cost isn't a factor, right? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

[ January 02, 2007, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 06:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The 221 F.b. has the same recoil or less than the 17. Ok now lets get to the main question, you want to chamber the mini to a 17 rem... Yes it has been done, was it deady accurate No..
Now lets talk about the 17 rem. yes it is a nice coyote round in the proper hands, that means precise bullet placement just like you would do with any other cartridge. Takeing pot shots at a running coyote with a mini is not going to get it done. Take the mini to a gun dealer, bite youre tongue, take what he gives you and get a good bolt action in 17 rem. Then get what equipement you need to reload it and go out and practice and practice. You should have a 1000.00 left over so use that to buy a nice scope and some flowers for the wife....

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
tooslow,
Don't pay any attention to TA17Rem , I mean shucks any coyote hunter worth his salt can tell you that a .17 Remington ain't no coyote whacker. Blows holes in fox pelts pretty good though. [Smile]

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 07:28 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an AR in .204 for exactly just such purpose. And it will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. With all the tricks for ARs I can't imagine why anyone would try it on a mini 14, but hell, it may work. I used to have a mini 14. I was doing some aerial gunning in South Dakota and we were hunting some well educated coyotes and they would head for the draw bottoms and hide out when they heard the plane. Sometimes we could see them, but couldn't get low enough to do any good with a shotgun so I thought I would try the mini 14 to at least get them out of the draws even if I couldn't hit them with it. Then we would make the next pass with the shotgun. All in good theory until we (well, the pilot) figured out that a mini 14 barrel was way closer to his ear and way louder than a shotgun. After the first barrage, I was informed that if I ever shot that particular gun in his plane again, I would be wearing it home.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 08:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
TA, I'm pretty sure Pat has a seventeen bolt gun, or he did, last I heard(?) I'm sure he has killed quite a few coyotes with it; this guy is no rookie. I know he had a seventeen back in the early seventies, because we both used to use it. But, Cal sounds like he has a good solution, as well?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did'nt mean to ruffle any feathers,But like i said the mini is a bad platform for a 17 rem. And i agree with what Cal. stated, the AR would be a much better platform and there are some gun smith's chambering it in 17 rem also. I have not heard anything bad about that combo, but i have noticed that there are alot of used uppers for sale with the 17 rem chambering..

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 08:55 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an AR (in .223) rigged up with an Aimpoint for close and fast and one rigged with a 3.5-10 for precision. Problem is yesterday I had my 3.5-10 gun and shot a bobcat at 10 yards and a coyote at 15 feet, last Saturday I had the Aimpoint rig and killed one at 75 yards or so and had 3 other shots at over 150 yards. If I'm gonna carry 2 guns, ones gonna be a shotgun.

As for the .17 rem, I've been thinking on building an upper for quite some time now. My only downside is I don't like a 24" barrel on an AR and I've been told the 17 needs a long barrel for the velocity, that makes it do the magical things it does. Anybody know how a 20" gun would do.

Accuracy Systems does do the mini 17rem for $749.00 in blue and $789.00 in SS. AR still makes more sense to me.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 05:34 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have an AR in .204...
Me too, Cal. This is my 2nd season using an AR .204 exclusively and I absolutely love it. For me, it's the perfect coyote gun.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 06:25 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom64 - I had been thinking of buying another upper and putting an EO tech.
Now I am thinking of drilling and tapping the free float tube then mounting it on my existing upper that carrys a 3X9 loopy....what do you think??

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rob Love
Member # 723

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 06:43 AM      Profile for Rob Love   Email Rob Love         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an AR from GA Presision with an Acog and it's provides a quick sight picture on a runner.
But I've got one too many so it's over at http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63367678. Pics if you just wanna see the setup. I had a SureFire Light mounted on the right side so I could hold the front grip and press the button on the back for night calling.
I liked it.

Posts: 24 | From: TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
tooslow
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 07:36 AM      Profile for tooslow   Email tooslow         Edit/Delete Post 
This was the type of discussion I was hoping for.

I guess I am still living in the dark ages, boy technologly is great. So now I have to save up to keep up. Now I have a safe full of varminter wanabees and need to make room for high tech.

decisions, decisions.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
High tech. is good, but I still prefer rifles that look like rifles myself. Just a personal hangup I suppose.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters