The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Mag Box for 22-250 Ack.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mag Box for 22-250 Ack.
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 5 posted March 17, 2007 05:51 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of building another 22-250 Ack. on a Rem. S.A.. I would like to use a slightly longer overall length than is allowed with the standard mag box.

Will a mag box out of a 243 work? or is there a better solution.

Thanks Albert

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 11:28 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The mag. box for a 243 or a 6mm rem should work for this project. I just measured my 22-250 ackley magazine and i came up with 2.836 for O.A.L.. Does youre rifle have a stop block in the magizine ? If so you can go with a longer follower without makeing any major changes. On my rifle i'm not sure of what it was before i had it built into a 22-250imp it might of been a 6 mm rem.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 11:36 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Both the 22-250 and the 243 have the same box and follower. It's about 2.850 give or take. There is no box bigger than the one Remington uses that will fit the SA.
IP: Logged
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 11 posted March 18, 2007 06:36 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan

I guess you are right. I have never owned a rem short action bigger than a 22-250. So I checked with a buddy and the only thing that they do do is make a shorter mag box for the .223 family of cartridges.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert,

What's the point in needing a longer box?

Wouldn't you be better served to have the reamer set to cut the throat short? That way you could adjust your seating depth out to chase the lands as you burned out the barrel.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 08:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, write, phone, or parachute in. Did you leave a message a couple weeks ago, on my machine? Come to think of it, just email me, I'm back in AZ, right now, for a week or so? I need your address and you were going to send me a package.

A 22-250 Ackley should fit the magazine of any 22-250 Rem. or 243 built action. I assume the concern is seating heavy bullets way out there? Because the Ackley actually makes up shorter than a standard 22-250. The trick is matching the "leade" or freebore, if any(?) on your barrel with the limitations of the magazine.

Sometimes I think the length of the 6MM Remington cartridge has a lot more to do with the limitations of the short action than utility, or popularity?

But, there is a lot of chatter on the 'net about 22-250 Ackley, which is well deserved, but a good one I see employed amongst the locals out here is the 243Ackley. That one, with a proper bullet, really does it all. I think (possibly) many of the hot rock 6/284 users would be better served with a 243AI?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 10:33 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The 243 ackley is pretty popular here also and the 22 cheetah. Both are very accurate and make good long range fur gitters. The only down side is a little more recoil but none the less fine cartridges to work with....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters