The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » varmint rifles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: varmint rifles
young hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1394

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 01:28 PM      Profile for young hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i am 15 years old and im looking for a good gun that can take out anything from a prarie dog to a coyote. im looking at a ruger mini 14 but i would prefer a bolt action what would be a good gun. also i want to know if i should buy a new gun or find a used one.
Posts: 14 | From: colorado | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Hutmasters, young hunter. Glad to have you on board. We need more young blood around here.

I'd personally stay away fro a Mini 14, if it were me, but there are a lot of choices. Let's see what the others think.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
young hunter
Member # 1394

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 03:23 PM      Profile for young hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i do not care about noise and recoil because i will mostly be hunting on private land any ways. i want something that can shoot flat and straight up to around 400 yards. i want to be able to kill not slaughter a coyote so that i can sell the hides to pay off the gun. by the way coyotes in the green sell for around 50 bucks now!!!
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 03:54 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
i want something that can shoot flat and straight up to around 400 yards. i want to be able to kill not slaughter a coyote so that i can sell the hides to pay off the gun.

The only way you are going to get a flat shooting accurate Mini 14 is to get one of the new modified MOA ones. 400 yards in a .223 is stretching it, unless you use FMJ's and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.
If you want a round that is going to do what you ask, a .22-250 or .220 Swift is more your style.

IP: Logged
young hunter
Member # 1394

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 04:13 PM      Profile for young hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
ok i probably will be doing most of my shooting between 100-250 yards but i want something that can take out a coyote up to 300-400 yards away. what caliber and gun would be the best? im looking now at a .204, .22-250, and a .222 what would be the best i have heard that the .204 isnt very good over 150 yards sny ideas?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The .204 and 22-250 are both excelent coyote rifles, but the .204 is more fur friendly.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 05:53 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't personally own a .204 but from what I have heard it is very good out past 300 yards and maybe more. I am not the most gun saavy guy on the board so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The only rounds I would personally feel comfortable trying to take a coyote with @ 400 yards or more would be with .22-250 or above. With whatever choice you make there are going to be trade-offs. Long range power equals close quarters damage, more oft than not. Short range and fur-friendly equals long range dud. This is, of course, if you would be using factory loaded cartridges.
The .204 may in fact be the best option for you. Although at 15 the affordability and availability of .223 rounds is hard to beat.

IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 07:30 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll throw my 2 cents in, I have had several 22-250s and now have a 204 but I haven't had enough experience with it to make a reccomendation. As said the 22-250 will work way out there but will do more damage up close. I wouldn't hesitate to use a 22-250 for all my coyote hunting though.

But I use a 223 most of the time and limit my shots to 250 yards or so, while calling my average is about 50 yards so it would depend on your circumstances as to whether it would suit you. Same goes for the 222, with it's minimal noise and recoil it's hard to beat for 250 yards and under.

Welcome to Huntmasters.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing about it, you won't be making a mistake, regardless of which of the above recommendations you decide on. Nobody ever says;

"Man, now I'm stuck with a useless 22-250!"

...maybe it has been said on one or two occasions refering to a Mini 14? It's just not the best choice for hunting predators and especially not for ground vermin.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 01:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok......another .02¢ worth.

It's no secret around here that I'm an unrepentant Mini-14 user. It works for me. I consider it my 'long range' gun, meaning out to about 150 yards. My 'close range' gun shoots red plastic shells. All of that having been said, I would NOT recommend the Mini in your case.

Far more important at your age is to (1) Learn to shoot well (2) Learn to hunt well & (3) Learn when to shoot.

I would suggest that you look at the Thompson Contender or Encore frame with shoulder stock & carbine barrel in .223 under a decent 4 power scope. Later, for the price of a barrel & scope, you could try any number of different calibers for different applications.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 05:46 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
get a 22-250 and never look back. A 204 more fur freindly than a 22-250? Another myth spread by the sub calibre crowd. 22-250 is an excellent fur gun. it's just that not all bullets are fur friendly. By the way you just can't throw any bullet in a 204 and get wonderful results. The only advantage that a 204 has is that it's quieter.

A good quality gun is always bargain compared to on that is cheaply constructed. The tikka's have good rep. The new remingtion sps's model seem to be a good buy. the advantage to a to a rem. is that if you decided to make changes parts are readily available. A good stock is worth the extra $.

Anyhow for coyotes a 22-250 is just plain hard to beat.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
young hunter
Member # 1394

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 06:27 AM      Profile for young hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
alright thanks for the help now what kind of gun should i get i will probably get a .22-250 should i look into a used gun or just buy a good new one. does anyone own a CZ out there cause there cheep and thats what im looking at now. i am a huge ruger fan is the only reason why i like the mini 14 but i agree it probably isnt the right gun for me. although i do like the m77 in .22-250 but the price is kind of alot. my price range is from $500-$700
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 06:43 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience with the .204 it has definitely been a more Fur friendly round than my .22-250,with the right bullet.I wouldn't use the plastic tip bullets for coyotes on a bet.But it's hard to beat the 35 grain Bergers as a fur bullet.That's not to say I didn't have good luck with my .22-250 as a fur round over the last 18 years,again with the right bullet.

I hear people say all the time to get the larger calibers for this reason or that reason.Most of it is just plain BS.

Simple fact of the matter is my .22-250 collects dust most of the time now because my .204 is getting most of the action.

Bottomline,The .204 is a VERY versatile round.It's hard to beat the 32/40 vmax/blitzkings for PD's and rockchucks.And for me the 35 grain bergers have been an incredible fur bullet.The new 45 grain Hornady softpoint has so far really impressed me,and is VERY comparable ballistically to the 55 grain sierra gamekings I shoot in my .22-250.

Hype?Call it what you will it is one hell of a fun/effective gun to shoot.GO WITH THE .204 AND NEVER LOOK BACK. [Wink] FWIW Good Hunting Chad

[ April 27, 2007, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
young hunter
Member # 1394

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:07 AM      Profile for young hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i have herd that the .204 is terrible in windy areas. is that true or a bunch of BS.
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:16 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the Bullet you use.But that's mostly BS too...

[ April 27, 2007, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another interesting and entertaining fact.

This bantering about cartridges, much less the rifles that are chambered for them, has been going on in one form or another since Jack OConner first suggested that a necked down 30'06 (270Winchester) might be a better choice than the parent cartridge.

Welcome to the 2007 version of the same argument; 204 versus 223.

The beauty of these discussions is that everybody starts with an opinion and learns why they have it, as they go along.

Don't get it? One day you will.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

blakyote
Member # 1064

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 09:34 AM      Profile for blakyote   Email blakyote         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my price range is from $500-$700
You could probably get a savage bolt for around that and less,a friend of mine just won a Stevens 200 in 243 I bekieve,it seems to shoot pretty good.I have a Rem 700 in .243 that shoots pretty decent.
Posts: 36 | From: N.WI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 02:22 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
get a good bolt gun, Rem. savage,ruger,sako. and stay away from the single shots...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
YH
the link below will take you to a Ruger 204 for $525 You could get a Burris fullfield II 3X9 and be right at 7Bills
Good luck with your choice.
Kelly
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52552223&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 06:30 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
TA17Rem:and stay away from the single shots...

I don't agree.I've had alot of fun/success with my T.C Contender Carbine.Plus it's Very economical.If I remember right the frame cost me about $150-200,forearm $20.00,Butt stock $50.00,Each Barrel runs about $200-250.The only problem is they become quite addictive. [Smile]
But they are a great gun for the money.

Bolt actions are great especially for multiples and I use one most of the time for calling but the single shots are good too.Just different.Good Hunting Chad

[ April 27, 2007, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 06:57 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2c I own Both a full blown custum 22-250 Ad have killed a truck load of coyotes with it.

I also own 2-204s one is a simi custom that I cary ALL THE TIME.

I do shoot a hevier gun during Hevy winds (20-40 mph)
i HAVE SHOT P DOGS IN nm GROUNG SQERLS IN iD AND COYOTES IN 7 SYATES WITHE THE 204 AND AM HOOKED ON THE 204.

i PREFER 35GRAIN bURGERS IN THE SIMI CUST. AND MY ONCOR LIKES THE 40 GRAINERS

I Think you would be happy with ether in a bolt or a oncor But if I could only own 1 It would be hard to decide witch oue but I think it would be my 204

Hope it helps
Good hunting
Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a savage 22-250 cheapest one I could find because I couldnt bear to spray paint a fine firearm.also I can drop it with out tears damn thing shoots better than I do. havent rergeted it once.However if you really want a mini 14 let me know got a beautiful gently used one [Big Grin] lol
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:07 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
A Note on the oncore and contenders I own 3 contenders and 1 oncore with multipol Barrols

I shot my oncore during the Midwest Championchis this year in a 240 wetherby ( The wind was blowing with gusts to 50 MPH)
I called 4 coyotes at one stand my Pard was shooting a bolt 243 I Killed 2 of the dogs He Killed 1
If you know yor gun and Practic you can reload almost as fast as a bolt gun.
Hope this helps
Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
lol is right. Paul you are a true gentleman, to part with a treasured Mini14. Yeah, I can't keep the grin off my face....you are pretty sharp!

Good hunting. LB

edit; I think Kevin is talking about an Encore?

[ April 27, 2007, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2007 09:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep those Encores are pretty accurate, thats why most BR. shooters use them.
I owned a pair of T/C at one time, also had a pair of XP-100's. The T/C are a little better than the mini -14, but not by much..Either they shoot or they don't and there is not much you can do , other than get another custom barrel and try it. By the time you are done going through barrels, you could of saved some time and money and got a good bolt action rifle. But they must work for some and i'm happy for them....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters