The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Custom Remington Rifle (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Custom Remington Rifle
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted June 24, 2007 07:30 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Guys and Gals this should be fun.
Due to economic conditions I am ending up with a Remington 22-250 LV-SF it is in about new condition.
I am thinking about it being the base for a new rifle, maybe not. What do you think?

24 inch high quality barrel
Squared/trued/lapped action
new stock? Do the stocks with the Aluminum bedding rail thing in them, need to be bedded also?
trigger, work on or replace?

Or just leave it and shoot it?

Or just get the factory rifle rebedded?

Or??????
thanks for all the input
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
One possible approach assuming that you are content with the 22-250.
It is possible that that rifle is very accurate just the way it sits. Shoot it and see.
If it were me I would put in a Rifle Basix trigger, true the action, bed the stock and re-crown the factory barrel. Make sure it has a clean bore and shoot it. If it doesen't perform to your expectations then rebarrel. The only money you would lose would be the recrown.
Plenty of barrel manufacturers out their and Hart is my personnal favorite.

[ June 24, 2007, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 08:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using that same model, a 700LVSF for a couple seasons now, on daylights. It came in 223 but I had it punched to Ackley Imp. and added the Sako extractor, but the trigger is fine the way it is.

I think I would use that rifle the way it sets. If you want a project, just get a used plain vanilla Model 700 and use the action for a tricked out custom job.

Good hunting. LB

edit: that stock is already pillar bedded, don't mess with it.

[ June 24, 2007, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 09:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do the stocks with the Aluminum bedding rail thing in them, need to be bedded also?"

Yes, they do need to be bedded. Most I've checked really aren't too bad, but can definitely be improved with a simple skim bedding job. A few though, have been pretty bad and really needed the bedding fixed.

"trigger, work on or replace?"

Totally depends on your taste in triggers. For a hunting rifle, chances are that reworking the factory 700 trigger will be fine. Nothing wrong with replacing it either though.

Just my opinion, but I'd never pay to have an action properly trued, only to screw a factory barrel back on. And really, depending on exactly how far out the action is to begin with and just what is done to the action, it may not even be feasible to reuse the unaltered factory barrel on an action that has been totally blueprinted. The headspace will likely be changed, at the very least.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 12:16 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have NEVER disagreed with Dave, but blueprinting my 300 sendaro cut the groups by a third.

Good enough for my gunsmith Glen Pearce to shoot right beside John Lazzaroni shooting one of his "Birds" at 1000 yards. Glen beat him with my blueprinted sendero.

Total cost at that time $200.00. Five and a half inch group at 1000, priceless, and yes I used MasterCard.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 05:35 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the advantages of getting the action blue printed before bedding is that you only have to pay for one bedding job. If you get it bedded and then later get the action blue printed the action will have to be rebedded.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to offer my take on all of these suggestions; which are good suggestions, I do not mean to detract from them.

Most of the modifications are simply unnecessary, for your average calling conditions. Shoot the rifle, if it groups under an inch or so, take it predator hunting. Now, if you have some other application, spend your money as you see fit, but not every coyote gun needs blueprinting. Everybody likes accuracy but it's smart to know when to recognize what is good enough. Look, you are shooting offhand, maybe from sticks and usually a distances of 100 yards, or so. There are many out of the box rifles that are very capable of handling this mission. So, first decide what your needs are, what you can afford, and the possible benefits. Realistically. My favorite rifle for daylight stands is about a one inch gun, and I love it...so does my son, in fact, he covets it. Sure, I wish it was a tack driver, and I will probably order a barrel one of these days, but in the meantime, it gets the job done.
See here:
http://www.affordableafricanhunting.co.za/Children%20of%20Tips%20on%20Free/first_client.htm

That 700 LVSF under discussion (I promise) is good enough for 95% of all predator hunting without blueprinting or rebedding.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 05:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard you are correct, blue printing is not needed for the average caller and for coyotes under 200 yards.
I agree with DAA also on not putting the old barrel back on, sometimes you can luck out and have it shoot better than before. Alot of problems can arise from useing an old barrel. I would just as soon spend a few more dollars and have a new barrel installed.
Sorry Albert but trueing up the action has nothing to do with the out side of action, it canbe glassbedded before blue printing or after.
Maybe Andy could give some input on what he thinks you should do... [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted June 27, 2007 06:21 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I 100% totally know you are correct, TA17 is correct also, except for coyotes aren't safe at 400 yards with that rifle,not 200.
It makes no sense what so ever. but I can afford it, and I sorta want a "really slick way cool rifle" If just hunting I'd just keep using my Tikkas. and I will use them.
What I was thinking for this rifle is more: a prize, a bragger, a beauty that shoots VERY well, one of a kind to retire with and shoot 'til I die.
A special possession, does that make any sense??
Prolly not, My Harleys prolly dont either, but I love them too.
I thank you all for your suggestions, I need more information about barrels,brands, quality.
Carl

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If thats the case then go for it. I was like you once, wanted one good custom rifle. I had one built no holds barred. then another and another and so on.
There are alot of good barrel makers out there, Shilen, Pac-nor, Lihja my favorite, Douglas, hart and so on. go with the second best barrel they make, or the best its up to you..

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 04:49 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of really good barrel makers out there. Lots. Be worth talking to your 'smith about, see if he has a preference. Myself, it would be either Lilja, Krieger or Hart. Most of my own barrels are Lilja.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 11:23 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Contrary to ta17 remark, blueprinting the action can change the length of the action at the front of the receiver and then change the location of the recoil lug.Metal often comes off the front of the reciever to square it and then changes slightly the the recoil lug position in the action. May have little of no effect but it does change..

[ June 28, 2007, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 05:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had one that had to be trued that much, but none the less good point...

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 07:39 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are wanting a really nice rig, why true up a Remington? Not that it won't be really nice and all, I've gone that route myself. I suggest buying a better action. Perhaps a Stolle, BAT, or even a Stiller predator for a repeater. These actions shouldn't need truing and would really speak quality over a trued 700.

Just my $.02

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Roberts said go to a custom action also. Thanks I 'll search the names you supplied, do a little reading.
Carl

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
If Jack said it, it must be true. I give up. Custom actions for coyote stands; give me a break.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Custom actions for coyote stands; give me a break.

I couldnt agree more.

I like guns. I got several guns. I want more guns. But you dont NEED a custom action for a calling rifle. However, I guess with some of the stuff Ive done, I shouldnt laugh too hard. NEED and WANT are two differnt things. Usually WANT wins. [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 02:40 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Need and want really are two different things. And I've gotten to the point, when it comes to rifles, that I just don't care anymore. If I was doing anything with rifles based on need, I would not have bought a new rifle for probably 15 years now. And I'd have never done anything custom. No custom barrels. No wildcats. Just plain old factory rifles. That would have made the last 15 years a lot less interesting.

If I was going to do a full custom rifle, and didn't already have a Rem. action to build off, I'd probably do a full custom action. Actually, I shouldn't say that I'd "probably" do that, I "have" done that and for sure "would" do that again. My newest rifle built just for coyotes is on a Nesika action. Just doesn't cost that much more, compared to buying a Rem. and having it tricked out. But it is that much nicer (a tricked out Rem. is still a Rem., but a custom, ahhh... it's a "custom"). And lets face it, a full custom rifle for coyotes is all about want, nothing to do with need. So much nicer is much better.

On the other hand... If I already had a good donor action sitting there, paid for, I'd just use it. But since I stopped buying factory rifles a long time ago, I don't ever have donor actions just sitting there anymore [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
my next custom coyote calling rifle will be a custom action.... as soon as a get a set of custom coyote calling underwear to match.
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 06:07 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Be real careful there 6mm-284.....
Building a full blown custom is very addicting!Many hours of homework will need to be invested regarding stock choice, stock color, length of pull,barrel length,barrel contour,etc.etc.That just scratchs the surface.Fun.

After you cross that line,next to follow, will be Wildcat chamberings.Custom made ammo,loads you can't buy at the store.More fun.

Very gratifing to have a rifle built to your specs,and ammo you have assembled around your rifle.It will be a one of kind set up.

It's difficult to explain the rational to someone who has to ask,why go custom when a stocker will do?

Be careful,Sparky

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 06:13 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a big Ooops 6mm-284,sorry.....That Bud's for you Bofire!
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2007 09:05 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
The cheapest way is to just shoot it like it is if it shoots to your liking. Anymore I am of the opinion that if it’s factory “fix it.”

If you are set on customizing it then I would have the action looked at. Most all of them can benefit from a tune up job. Truing the action and bolt face and maybe bushing the firing pin is your best-spent money. For a little more you could have it timed and the threads cleaned up. I wouldn’t bush the bolt its self unless it was really sloppy. I probably wouldn’t bush the bolt anyway. For around 100 dollars you can get a custom one. It won’t take long to eat up 250 dollars or more tricking out a 700 action. Unless you have a really special factory barrel I would pawn it off on e-bay and get into a custom one.

I really like Remington’s laminated stocks. Bed your newly barreled action in it and you should have a very fine rifle.

BUT, What are you going to shoot out of it? If you are just going to shoot factory ammo I would leave it as is and not spend the money customizing it. Shooting factory ammo through a fine custom varmint rifle is like running e-85 unleaded through a formula 1 racecar. You need to feed your rifle only the best quality components to realize its potential.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
That's ok sparky. I shoot custom rifles also and enjoy having something just for me. Then to take it another step further I set up my shop and started building my own custom rifles for myself . required machines and tooling and lots of practice and patience..but hunting with a rifle selected and built for yourself is the ultimate custom rifle satisfaction and is definately not a practical way to go about custom rifles. but oh well.
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 07:47 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
The neat thing now if you wont to go with a Remington action your FFL can order just the action from Midway.

I walked out the door with a stainless action for $234.00 and couple dozen goose decoys. No barrel or stock to try and make gumbo out of.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good input here, I like Q's comment about the ammo. I once had this 22LR that shot little tiny groups, but regular 22 shells would not even chamber, had to have $10.00-$20.00 for 50 shells, ammo. minimum. Sold it.
Am I willing to commit the time and money to do this right?
I dont know!! thanks to everyone!
Carl

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters