The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Varmint Rifles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Varmint Rifles
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious as to what rifle guys are reaching for when going Varmint ( Not coyote ) hunting.

My .243 Win has been seeing the most use. Shooting the 68 gr Berger MEF's it's hell on jackrabbits.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that's what I use too. 74 gr. Berger.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 01:41 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
All I have shot on varmints this summer is my Freedom Arms 454 Casull. With a 250 grain Hornady HP it is a real rabbit killer. I just got it this spring and am practicing with it alot. I think I will elk hunt with it this fall.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 01:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend I killed a bunch of ground squirrels with my .20 caliber Beeman R9 and a few with my new Bowtech Guardian (those G5 Small Game Heads do a number on squirrels!).

Most of my summer varmints are rock chucks though, and most of them get shot with my old .22-250AI. Have shot a few this year with the new 6/284 as well though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Knows what it's all about
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 02:26 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,
How does the R-9 and specifically the .20 do on the ground squirrels? We were invited to shoot on a golf course last weekend, I had a RWS 350 in .22, my brothers had the same gun in .177. Most shots were in the 20-25 yard range. I shot and retrieved 19, had another 7 that were not recovered. (Proof was requested by golf course management.) My brothers only brought back 6, with a bunch not being retrieved. Even with the .22, I had to go to head shots only or if not available, try to hit the spine to anchor them. Crazy how many of them can use their last 5 seconds to make it underground. Just wondering how the 20 did for you, and what range you were shooting them at.

For crows, p-dogs, it's been a Savage 12 in .204 this summer--same as last, 40 v-max.

Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's my only one, this is easy [Big Grin]

My Winchester .243 Model 70. Bobby Hart did a little work on it (new barrel, scope, trigger work, new sling, painted the stock). I've been overHARTed... lol He also loaded up some nosler 85gr balistic tips. Before that I was using Winchester power points.

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 04:12 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
My limited varmint shooting has been with several rifles. Mainly prairie dogs. 25-06AI seems to make the best dramatics. Stuff flys everywhere.

223AI does a good job. 204Ruger does good, but past 300yds, they just swell up like a balloon and deflate real quick. But you get to see it in the scope.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 04:32 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
My .22 Hornet is still my go-to rifle. But I'm slowly getting attached to my .204. That is just a fun rifle to shoot.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 05:15 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
GCrock, it sounds like my .20 R9 did about the same as your .22 RWS did. Or maybe just a hair less effective. All but a handful of shots were at the same range, 20 - 25 yards, with a few that were closer. I started out with solid chest hits, but quickly realized that the chest shot wasn't going to anchor them in place, so switched to the head shot. Head shots were a bit harder to make [Smile] . But at least most of the ones I hit, didn't go anywhere. Tried the chest shot again on a couple that were only about 10 yards, did anchor one, but not the other.

I was using the 14.3 gr. Premier pellets.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 06:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my 17 rem.'s or 22-250 ackley. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
claimbuster
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 10:06 PM      Profile for claimbuster   Email claimbuster         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I am "playing" with two new calibers for PD's. The first is a 20 Vartarg. A thousand or so PD's are in PD heaven due to this new rifle. My load so far is a 32 V-Max and AA1680. Awesome!

The second, and quite new, is a 20 TAC. I have two 204's and why I bought this rifle I'm not sure other than I had a set of dies for it. It is very accurate and has definite promise. It has 250 "notches" so far.

My 17AH is still my short gun (200 yds and under).

--------------------
"There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."

Posts: 70 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2007 11:00 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my 204 upper strapped on and although I am yet to drag blood, I did kill hell of two tomatoes that had bad spots on them...
204 with 40 gr Bergers = plenty good tomatoe medicine. Getting to watch them explode thru the scope was cool.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2007 12:21 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a .20 Tac. built this year just for a carry gun for Jackrabbits and such.Very happy with it.Can't make up my mind on bullet weights.I'm using both the 32 and 39 Blitzkings,shoots them better than the V-Max.The 39's are allot more accurate and more so when a breeze picks up.The 32's are wicked fast and fun to shoot.
Did'nt plan on killing Coyotes with it,but I've taken 6 with it in the last couple weeks.2 with the 32's and the others with the 39's.Had one of the 39's splash on a shoulder.Shoots like a rimfire with a brake on it.Very nice.

[ August 08, 2007, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: sparkyibewlocal440 ]

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:03 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
My summer p-dog shooting has been good and the 17 hmr did most of the shooting, but my 22-250 and .243 both got plenty of longer range shooting. I just got my Savage 12 lvp .204 back from the gunsmith with a new Boyd's thumbhole stock and got out 2 days ago and got a pet load found for it. Got 175 rounds loaded up and am going out this afternoon to put'er in action!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:21 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Sparky,
A gunsmith I sometimes use, says he puts brakes on all his varmint rifles. He can watch bullet impact better. But, isn't the report from your braked rifle so much louder.

I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard a couple of weeks ago in 223Rem.. It's a nice rifle for the price, and about $100 cheaper then a Rem 7oo sps.

I'm wanting to used my rebarreled Rem 700 in 223Improved, and a 204 Ruger.

[ July 29, 2007, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2007 08:38 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Remington 700 22-250 bull barrel with floated synthetic stock and trigger job - 2.5 lbs. A tack driver deluxe.

2) Ruger .243 Mark I.

Factory loads in both.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 08:48 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,
Muzzle blast is much greater with the brake on,allot of the noise is directed to the sides and rearward.Ear protection is a good idea.I use the cheap foam ear plugs in my left ear which would be closer to the blast and a Radian for my right ear for some hearing while on stand.
My Coyote specific rifle is a very light .22-243 Midd. with a Vais brake for the sole purpose of witnessing bullet strike and it does exactly that.Really nice.So nice in fact,I'm having the very same set up built again,but in a different Wildcat chambering.
Would'nt want to shoot it laying in the dirt 'tho,would kick up allot of shit.

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another method that is kinder to your ears is a light bullet and a heavy rifle, which equals little or no recoil. But, you wouldn't want to carry such a piece very far.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2007 04:54 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I assume when you say light bullet and heavy rifle is kinder to the ears, I assume that the lighter bullet also associates with less powder? I'm not sure, but I'd guess anytime a guy can ignite less powder, no matter the size of bullet it launches, it will have less report! NO?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2007 06:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda, sorta. Has something to do with physics, as explained by the late, Sir Isaac Newton.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2007 07:55 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't reach for anything. Florida is devoid of chucks and prairie dogs.

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 06:09 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
A short video clip, of my .22-250AI being put to use on 'chucks a few days ago:

Pigs On The Wing

- DAA

--------------------

Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 07:27 AM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice video clip! One of my favorites is my .204 Remington LSV with Hornady 40gr ballistic tips. In my .204 CZ, I shoot 32gr ballistic tips. I just picked up a Weatherby 22-250 that I need to work up a load for. I haven't been out yet, the fire season had things pretty much closed and now we've got mud from the monsoons. As soon as that clears up, the PDs should be good and fat and ready for some sudden impact.
Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 07:34 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I loved the way the con trails showed up from you're 22-250 AI on Varmint Safari III. We just got a new 60" plasma TV. It is almost like being there, but I don't get to shoot and smell the powder.I have had to be in bed for 24 days this round, so that new TV is paying off.

See I can spell varmint correctly.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Clip!

You guys with your flying pigs sure do make me jealous!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters