The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » Speaking of new guns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speaking of new guns
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 06:01 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Well since CDog got a new toy, I guess I can tell you about mine. I have a hunter that comes every year that builds some fine stuff. He has brought a 264 Win Mag that he built out a couple times. It is on a Colt light rifle action with a 26 inch shilen stainless select match barrel. Well fitted into a McMillan stock, pillar bedded and all the stufff. I had watched him check zero and shoot a couple of basically one hole groups with it, and watched him kill two antelope at over 500 yards (one at 580) with one shot dead on kills (using a rangefinder and dialing his scope turrets to the yardage). I got to pestering him about me needing it worse than him and we did a little hunt trading. It is a shooter, I have killed a couple coyotes with it, and will take it whitetail hunting. I'm shooting a 120 Ballistic tip at 3400 and shooting as good as I'm capable of. On an off day I can hold it around a half inch and on a good day it does better. I'll get a picture of it one of these days. Fun toy!

[ October 29, 2007, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 06:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT sounds like a sweet rig!

I really like those Colt light rifle actions (basically an Ulta Light Arms) for a serious big game rifle. I used a borrowed one in 7 Mag. on an elk hunt once, have wanted one of my own ever since.

Nice aquisition!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Knows what it's all about
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 06:22 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool,
Gary my hunting pard built his own 264wm last year and has taken some nice animals one Buffalo all with one shot.
He just built a 220 swift for the turny hunts cant wait to see it at the world. Hope to see you thear
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
This in no way matches the rifle that you have. In 1965, I purchased a custom built .264 Win.mag. It had a P.O. Ackley barrel, a hand-carved New Zealand walnut stock and Buehler scope mounts. I worked for the gunsmith who built it. I paid $125 for it. That was a lot of money back then - especially when you are a high school student. Looking in my Number 6 Speer Reloading Manual, I was shooting 140gr Sierra with 4831 powder and getting a 1/2 inch group. I used to make some incredible shots with that rifle. Have fun with it!
Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 05:39 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Dusty, I'm sure your rifle easily matches mine. I like the old stuff too. My very first big game rifle was a 264 win mag. It was a Rem 700 with a 26 inch stainless factory barrel. From the era when they tried to blue stainless, and in about ten years the blueing came off in chunks. It looked like crap, but shot well. I killed a lot of stuff with that rifle and have always had a fondness for the 264. Bullet selection sucked and I finally rebarreled that rifle. Now with the popularity of the 6.5s skyrocketing, there is a good selection of bullets and I would be hard pressed to say that there is a better allaround western big game cartridge than the 264 win mag. but all I have shot with mine so far is coyotes. Drilled another yesterday while guiding hunters. Which was rather fun, I had some guys that thought that the whole reason for hunting was to see how much lead you could get in the air without actually hitting anything. My one shot, 350 yard coyote kill quieted them down. We actually did finsh getting them tagged out yesterday and now it's back to the grind of coyotes.

Kevin, I won't be attending any of the contests this year. My new job doesn't allow any contest hunts. I didn't think it would bother me much, but Rawlins is this weekend and not going is weighing pretty heavily. We had spent several years getting territory and learning it to the point where we had placed there several years in a row. Now I turned it all over to my old partner and his new partner and they are gettting primed to go and I'm not [Frown] .

[ October 31, 2007, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 05:55 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal

Any comments about shooting that thing off of sticks. Not real fond of shooting my old 700 adl off them. I try to remember it's not one of my heavy barreled 250's. [Smile]

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 08:20 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I have the Vern Howie sticks that have the cradle on top. And I have a short Harris bi-pod that stays on that rifle to shoot prone, which is about the only way I can shoot very well past a couple hundred yards [Big Grin] . Anyway the cradle on the Howie sticks works well with about any fore end.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teen, and the Model 700 had just come out, it wasn't like now. Winchester chambered and Remington chambered. The competition between the 7Mag and the 264 Mag generated a lot of ink.

In those days, I couldn't understand how some people could overlook the obvious. The 264 was better, based on published data, case closed.

I never got one, in fact, my first "big game" rifle was a 270. Then, I was struck by a meteor or something and decided the 7MAG was the ultimate, far surpassing the 300 Winchester Mag. Just read the data!

A gun nut is always pursuing a dream. I never owned either of those fine calibers. I got a deal on a 300 WinMag, and soon discovered that I could cherry pick tons of data proving my choice was the best. (I still have it)

But, that 264 sticks in my mind as like a corvette stingray, something like that? Today, there is a lot of powders and bullets, and if the application is narrow, the barrel should last many hunts. It's one of those "MAGIC" numbers, for me, probably always will be?

Good hunting. (while strolling down memory lane)LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 01:40 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't killed any big game with a rifle for several years. I really got bit by the bowhunting bug and that has been my weapon of choice. I still have a fine shooting 338 Win Mag and now the 264. I can at least justify the 264 as a long range coyote rifle. But I still have an unspent deer tag and some whitetail areas are open in November and I am planning on a trip to Texas via Oklahoma in December for whitetail and coyotes so the new toy may get a little work yet this year. I really want to go to Mexico and get a good Coes (sp?) deer one of these years and I can't think of a more perfect rifle.

--------------------

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 02:45 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you gonna hunt a little in OK, or are you just passing through? Maintain, Geordie

edit: for spelling.Y'all probably cant read 'okie'

[ October 31, 2007, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: CrossJ ]

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 03:37 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad allways wanted a 264 Mag for shooting down these pipelines. About 15 years ago, I was perusing a pawn shop and on the shelf was a Rem 700 Left hand bolt action with the blued SS 26 inch barrel in 264 WM. I bought it, bedded it, did a trigger job. added a nice scope and gave it to him for a Christmas present. I also worked up a load using 125 Partitions and he has used it for Mule deer and whitetails. Everything he has hit with it has dropped or only ran a few feet. Those cartridges look like they are going 3000 fps just sitting on the table. He never has been a big fan of the big boomers but he just loves this old rifle.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
We're gonna hunt a little bit here Geordie, but get to Texas as quick as we can. For some reason, Cal doesn't want to buy two out of state deer tags. We're going right by Kelly's honey holes and would like to stop by and see him. You out there buddy?
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 31, 2007 09:01 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

A buddy of mine is the Game Warden over on Vic's side of the highway. He and another hunter came over the weekend before last doing some final checks on his rifle out to 950 yards.

He is going for a trophy Mule deer in Mexico, but also guides guys from this side, onto several ranches in Mexico for Trophy Mule and Coues Deer.

If you are interested in talking to him, let me know, and I'll get you in touch with him. It's a lot easier to take a rifle into Mexico and get set up on a hunt, if you have a guide from this side of the border, who knows the rules and paperwork needed.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2007 05:47 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great Tim. I appreciate it!

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 07:29 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you and Cal let me know when you get close. If I'm home we will make a stand or three....Dec is cat season and I am ready.
If Cal only has a Texas license, I got a place across the river about 20 minutes from the house. We culd go there.
I was in New Mexico last week working and got the weekend off. We whacked em good out there.
Catch you later Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal sorry to hear you wont make any hunts this year Sounds Like you nead to look for a difrent BOSS!LOL
Good luck on keeping your nervs in order.
If I can find your E-mail addy I will try to send you some potos of some coes deer
I loved to hunt the little deer The ranche I worked on for many years has some of the largest in the state Lots of cats to Better be in shape.
If you end up drawing out a tag in AZ In my areas I would gladly help with my old hawnts.
I may be going down next year to hunt with my son If we get drawn? The first 4 day hunt is the hardest but easey to draw out a tag and
The 264 will be the ticket for a erly hunt.
Good luck. Hope to see you again. Let me know what you charge for a 2 day coyote hunt in Wy in Jan. I might be interested
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters