The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 17 HMR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 17 HMR
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a Magnum research MLR-1722 chambered in 17 HMR yesterday. Its a clone to a tricked-out ruger 10/22 made by Volquartsen and alot cheaper than the Volquartsen. I took three different brands of HMR ammo out to the range and sited in the rifle and then tested the loads. All three brands of ammo shot 1/2" or less in this rifle. To date i fired over 50 rounds in it and have not had any misfires or chambering problems.
This willbe my go to rifle for calling coons and redfox and may use it for coyotes in tight cover along the creek bottoms where a quick follow-up shot maybe needed..Anyway its a pretty nice rifle and it should work great on coons... T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 04:55 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
1/2" at 100 yds? If so that is an impressive HMR. Mine will shoot around a half at 50 but at 100 it opens up to around 2". It's a heavy barrel Savage with the accu-trigger. I never have got it to shoot exceptionally well at 100. I have killed a handful of coyotes with it. All just targets of opportunity and it's what I had handy. What happened TA, did you hit the lottery? New toys everywhere!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
alhersch
PAKMAN
Member # 2204

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 06:13 PM      Profile for alhersch   Email alhersch         Edit/Delete Post 
1/2" at 100 yards is darn good!!

My Marlin 917VS will do a 1" group at 100 yards, not dunno if I could ever get lucky enough for a 1/2" group. That's a might fine shooter ya got TA.

Al

Posts: 6 | From: Kokomo, IN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2008 08:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the 1/2" groups at 50 yds and 3/4" at 100yds.
quote:
What happened TA, did you hit the lottery? New toys everywhere!

No Cal! Some hunter in Az hit one of Santa's reindeer with a stray bullet and he also had a runner break so he was a little late getting up here to my house, but non the less he made it. [Razz]
Actually i had some money set aside for a few hunting trips to S.D. and i did'nt make the first trip, so that money was used for the new equipement. Still planning on one trip to S.D. if the weather ever straightens out.If not i got my eye on a new rem. with the triangle shaped barrel with muzzle brake.. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 01:15 AM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

You will have a blast with that gun I have a Magnum Research in .17 HM2 and it's a shooter.

This was six shots with my Volquartsen .17 HMR dead nuts @50 and 1/2" high @100.
 -

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2008 04:00 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
My 17hmr is a half moa rifle. If you want one that really shoots , get the Volquartzen.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2008 07:24 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

The coyotes that you have shot,how far were they and where did you hit them? Reason I ask is I have shot 2 with my HMR and they were both around 75 yrds and I hit one in the head,and the other in the chest(frontal shot)and I was very surprised at how they dropped right there.I think I was waiting for them to run after I hit them.lol That's even with the 17 grain Vmax.Go figure.

Good Hunting Chad

[ February 15, 2008, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters