The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Firearms forum   » 204 coyote loads (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 204 coyote loads
JeremyKS
Knows what it's all about
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2008 01:37 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 204 Im going to play around with some and was wondering what everybody is shooting for coyote loads?
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine likes the 35 gr. bergers and benchmark so far , still working with it about .5" at 100 yards was hoping for better but that may be about it with this rifle.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2008 06:54 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeremy, I shoot 30.7 grains of BLC-2 and the 35 grain Berger.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2008 09:26 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the load I have seen most shoot, but what about the 39BK? any better or any worse?
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
the 39 grain serria Blitzkings are probably the most accurate bullets for the 204. I use them for Prairie Dogs and couldn't be happeir, [Big Grin] a friend of mine uses them exclusivly for PD's and coyotes and swears by them. [Cool] no exits at all. [Smile] i use the 35 bergers for my coyotes and I do get exits on occasion but not very bad at all. the 32 grain V max are great also.
my loads for the the 39's are 25 grains Reloader 10 X with a remington 7 1/2 primer WW cases . with a COL of 2.366
for the 35 grain bergers I use 28.4 grains of H 4895 and the remington 7 1/2 prinmers with a COL of 2.271.
The hornady 32 grain V Max I use 27 grains of H 322 and the remington 7 1/2 primers and a col of 2.360
With my Browning Varmint Stalker I have to use a tad shorter COL with the 35 grain HP's it jsut wont load right, [Mad] the plastic tipped bullets are all OK at the longer lenght [Big Grin] [Big Grin] .
Now remember these work well in my rifle so start a little under iand work up, all these loads will shoot under a 1/2 inch at 100 yards eccept the 39's they shoot under 3/8th

[ December 28, 2008, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 07:21 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys i will try the 35 bergers.
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 08:01 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
cal powder chg weight primer bullet oal
204 H4895 28gr Win S/R 35gr Berger 2.257 oal.

This has shot well in three 204's that I have played with.
Does good on cats, no exits to date. Blows hell out of fox.
On coyotes its all about shot placement.
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 02:16 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got two loads that have worked great for my AR. With the 35 gr. berger over 28.0 g. H4895 and the other is 40 gr. berger over 27.2 g. H4895. The only thing close to a pass through that I've had was a broadside shot runner that I hit way low in the chest. Basically unzipped his chest. Otherwise, I've had zero pass throughs with either load.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 06:25 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a good factory round someone prefers? I shoot the 40gr hornady vmax now. Always looking to improve.

Anyone try the 45 grain spire point?? Anyone shoot coyotes with it??

[ December 29, 2008, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: Patterson ]

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 07:49 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
You would need a 1-10 twist barrel to stabilize the 40+ grain bullets. Most of the factories are using a 1-12 twist.
IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 07:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hornady 45 is pretty stubby, they work fine in a 12T.

Shot a few coyotes with them, and it worked well, but I'm launching them about 400 fps faster than the .204 does, so not an apples to apples comparison.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 09:49 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Its common knowledge that not all 1-12 twist barrels will stabilize a 40 grain bullet. DPMS has a disclaimer attached to their 204 stating such.

Even if the 45 grain Hornady bullet is about the same bearing surface and over all length of a 40, will not mean it will be stabilized in a 1-12 twist, as it cannot be pushed as fast. It does mean it will have a lower B/C and will drop more in a given distance and have less energy upon impact.

Furthermore, there is a 600+- FPS loss of velocity between a 32 and a 45 grain bullet, to say nothing on the lower B/C of the 45 as compared to the 39-40 grain 204 bullets. Velocity made the 204 Ruger what it is.

http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_ammo.php

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 11:05 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, be all that as it may, the 45 gr. Hornady works just fine in factory 12 twist, .204 Ruger barrels, and I've never heard of or personally seen one having any stability issues with it.

The 40 Vmax, the 39 BK, even the 40 B-tip, all I have heard or actually seen have problems in 12T barrels. But never the 45 Hornady. I don't have any with me right now to measure, but I wouldn't be surprised that the 45 is actually shorter than any of the plastic tipped 39/40's.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That, and the fact that with a higher capacity case than the parent 223, as Dave said; he drives a 45 gr. Horn 400 fps faster than a factory 204Ruger, this can be enough to stabilize a marginal bullet in a 1-12 twist. Of course, all things being equal, a faster twist might be appropriate for long, heavy bullets, but velocity can overcome the stability problem with marginal specs and components.

What you got, Dave? Is it based on a blown out 250 case? So, you are getting roughly 4200 with a 45 grain bullet? At those speeds, it sounds like it might be a good coyote bullet, exits the far side with a hole about the size of a quarter? Just a guess?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 12:46 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problems stabilizing either the 40's or the 45 in either one of my 12 twist 204 rugers.One is the Ruger Hawkeye,the other a 23" contender barrel.They both shoot very good groups.I have been running the 45 grain softpoints at alittle over 3600 fps and with a BC of .245 with 26.5 grains of H4895, that's pretty close to the ballistics of my .22-250 and #1365 sierras(55 grain soft points) at 3600 fps.As far as a good fur bullet I have had great luck with the 35 grain bergers and 28.2 grains of H4895 they are running between 3850 and 3900 fps.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 01:15 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using 35 grain Bergers as well with H4895 28.6 grains and Remington 7.5 primers. No complaints, and no chrono test. I am using my hornady and sierra brass from when I was shooting factory ammo.

For factory ammo performance the 32 vmax had the best field performance for fur and targets. Around an average of .75 moa on paper. 40 grain vmax grew to around 1" moa and I had a lot more exits on coyotes. 39 bk's had large exits on broadside shots over 100 yards and about a .75 moa on paper. I ran through a two boxes of the 45 sp loaded by Hornady, and just felt I was giving up too much speed to put them down the way I like. Every shot was a pass thru. Ranges from 5 yards to 190 yards frontal, and 260 yards broadside and rear. I shot 3 shot groups at 100, 200, and 300 yards and they were stabilizing just fine out of my 1:12 twist to that range. I didn't end up handloading any of the 45's, but I might like them if my rifle could handle the pressure and oal to run them a lot hotter than the factory loads. The Berger just shoots to well to try anything else for me at this time. Everythign was shot out of a Savage Model 12, 24" Barrel with 1:12 twist.

[ December 29, 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: tlbradford ]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
tlbradford,

How was the bullet drop on those 45's, say out to 200-300?

Also how about runners vs. DRT. All the dogs you got get good damage and drop?

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 02:19 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, did you mean the 12t wouldnt stabilize a 40gr bullet or just not bullets over 40gr? I have a CZ 527 American and the book says its a 12T?

I have shot 32 VMAX, 40 VMAX and 35 Berger. It seems to shoot all of these weights well.

Just curious.

I went to Sierra a couple weeks ago and bought a bunch of seconds by the pound. I got some 39 BK seconds. Some of them have the plastic tips missing. Im going to load some for prairie dogs. Just curious if anyone has shot those without the tips and what to expect. It has a hell of a hole in the end...

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:02 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I just did check, and the 45 Hornady is in fact about .075 shorter than the 40 Vmax. And only about .040 longer than the 32 Vmax. It's totally fine in 12T barrels. I talk to a lot of guys from the small caliber crowd and have just never heard otherwise.

Leonard, I'm just using the plain '250 case necked straight down with no other changes. My working load with the Hornady 45 is about 4040 fps. Mostly no exits, but what exits there have been, from quarter to fist. Haven't really shot too many with it though. As previously noted, it suffers a trajectory penalty vs. lighter sleeker pills, and flat trajectory is what my Big Twenty is all about [Big Grin] .

Andy, I've never tried shooting groups with the tips missing, but I imagine they probably shoot fine like that. A bit lower B.C. without the tip, I'm sure, but probably no big whup. I HAVE shot a few p-dogs with missing tips, and they don't seem quite as explosive without the tip, but still plenty graphic enough.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We might need to get quite specific, Andy as every bullet has a slightly different shape, ogive, bearing surface and base. The caliber is the only thing they share, so a 40 grain weight is a good indication, but not the only criteria.

As a for instance, Sierra makes a 63 grain semipointed .224 that stabilizes fairly well in 1-14 and 1-15 twists. That sounds a lot like the 45 grain 20 caliber Hornady that is discussed, above.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 5 posted December 29, 2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who shoot the .204 Ruger, is there any noticeable difference in noise from say a 22-250 with barrels of equal length?

Thanks

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 06:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
"Its common knowledge that not all 1-12 twist barrels will stabilize a 40 grain bullet. DPMS has a disclaimer attached to their 204 stating such."

Of the 61 20 caliber rifles with the 1-12 twist I built over the years, I have not heard of any not stabilizing a 40 grain bullet. Nevertheless, I'm now recommending 1-10 twist barrels because of the controversy of the 40 grain bullets. and there are heavier bullets available.

I have heard that not all will. Some of the information I have, is from a site I trust knows what they are talking about. http://www.rugerhunting.com/204_ammo.php

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks to all for clarification. i havent killed enogh coyotes with it yet to decide what i want to shoot out of it. thought i would ask before i kept trying bullets. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 09:39 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like the BC of the 35 grain Bergers.When I first got my .204 ruger Berger listed the BC for the 35's at .191 but now I see they list the BC at .184.Which is not good.At the speeds I am running them (3850-3900 fps)They are great out to 250-300 yards(about 400 ft lbs @ 300 yrds) but much past that they really lose energy quickly.

That's one of the reasons I have been messing with the 17's(thanks to DAA)those damn 30 grain kindler golds are amazing.With the .270 BC they have, they should have the same energy(400 ft lbs)at almost 400 yrds while running about the same speed(3900 fps)as my 204 ruger does at 300 yrds.FWIW

Good Hunting Chad

[ December 29, 2008, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 12:12 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,
Thanks for the info, I'm going to build a fur rifle sometime and I have been leaning more and more towards a 17 something. I'm going to shoot this 204 for awhile though. I kind of like the idea of DAA's 20-250 due to it's flat trajectory but he says that sometimes its not too fur friendly.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters