The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » Simmons 6-24x50 rifle scope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simmons 6-24x50 rifle scope
mtnman4x4
PAKMAN
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2004 08:31 PM      Profile for mtnman4x4   Email mtnman4x4         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm new to this and am wanting to get in to VArminting. For a entry level scope, (i'm in school and on a budget)What do ya'll recommend for $100 or less. This is what I'm looking at but I'm worried about the objects getting fuzzy at 250 + yards. Simmons 6-24x50 rifle scope with Adjustable Objective and Target Turrets.......This Simmons scope is the Blazer Model # 800517. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

--------------------
Because man cannot live on concrete alone.

Posts: 6 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2004 07:09 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are going to put that scope on a $100 rifle, it's going to be a waste of money. As a general rule of thumb, spend as much on the scope, as you do on the rifle.

Here is a link to a Thread on another board from a young guy who did what you are thinking of doing. You will notice at the end of the thread, his rifle is now topped with a Leupold.

Best thing you can do is scour the pawn shops, and see if you can't find a Leupold cheap. Don't worry about if it looks beat up and battered. They have a lifetime warranty, just send it in and they will repair it.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
COONASS
Knows what it's all about
Member # 299

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2004 10:10 AM      Profile for COONASS           Edit/Delete Post 
No saying it's junk..............

But always remember.......

"A junk scope on a great rifle is still junk"

I say save up a little more and buy something that will give you many years of good service.. or even maybe buy one used of good quality...

Good luck

Jamie

--------------------
We live in a world of give and take but few are willing to give what it takes.......

Posts: 44 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mtnman4x4
PAKMAN
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2004 10:22 AM      Profile for mtnman4x4   Email mtnman4x4         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, Thats what I needed to know. I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'll save up some more money and get that Leupold. I thought that would be best anyway but I haven't bought a scope in 15 yrs. I have never thought of checking pawn shops. I'll give that a try. The last was a leupold and it is great. I din't know if optics had gottem better and cheaper or not.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, mtnman4x4. Glad to have you on board.

As you may be aware, there are differing opinions on what kind of glass to put on your rifle. Leupold makes a good product, but it's not the only choice available. However, most of mine happen to be Leupolds. They have a dandy warranty.

Simmons, I can't say? Never owned one. Some guys like them, though? For an inexpensive scope, they are probably a decent value.

For what it's worth, I certainly would not get a 6X24X50. That's something more suited to potting squirrels at extended range than picking up moving coyotes. And, unless you are night hunting, I doubt that the 50mm objective would do you much good, and it may be a liability when it comes to getting a hasty sight picture, because of the high mounting necessary, to clear the barrel.

Anyway, if you do find a used Leupold, you will likely keep it for a long time.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mtnman4x4
PAKMAN
Member # 304

Icon 14 posted February 13, 2004 06:58 PM      Profile for mtnman4x4   Email mtnman4x4         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the info about the magnification. Makes alot of sense. I will probably stick with 3x9 or 3x10. I've got Leupold 3x9x40 on my 300mag, a little overkill for coyotes but effective. I bought the scope about 15 yrs ago..... and they haven't gotten any cheaper.
I'm getting a 22-250 for western OK and want a descent scope so I may just save up for another leupold. Excellent scope.
Thanks for the welcome.

[ February 13, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: mtnman4x4 ]

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2004 06:08 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
check e-bay as well.... they have many goldrings for sale... but becareful as you can spend more there than at a retail store....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
COONASS
Member # 299

Icon 10 posted February 14, 2004 12:45 PM      Profile for COONASS           Edit/Delete Post 
Go by www.midwayusa.com and check dem out ....

Look at item #697896 burris 4.5-14X 42
I have two of dem and love them...
one on a encore 25-06 ..under 1" groups with factory ammo @ 200 yds.........

Other on my baby.... a .270 S.S. A-bolt
It's just as sweet........

I think it's the best $320.00 one can ever spend

Happy shopping
Jamie

--------------------
We live in a world of give and take but few are willing to give what it takes.......

Posts: 44 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 02:08 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a simmons ONCE... for about a month... I will never go back to one. Fuzzy, definately. Even under 250 yards, not a clear definate picture. Poor light gathering, even if it was a 50mm objective. Ended up going to my local sporting goods store and trading it in, plus added $70 on top and went back to my Tasco Golden Antler, but this time a 4x16x50. This is my second Tasco Golden Antler and they are well within anyone's price range. IMHO

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody, quick.

Ask Vic: What was that scope, that he had on his thousand dollar, 19 Calhoon?

Could it have been a SIMMONS ? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 05:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I own something like sixteen Leupolds. I'm happy and comfortable with them. I also own three Simmons Pro-Hunter 3X9s. Granted, they sit atop low-recoil calibers, 17AH, 22K-Hornet, and a trick 10-22. But they've been there for four years now with no problems and no complaints. The quality of the lens is amazing for a 70 dollar scope. Several times I have laid out rifles with Leupolds next to the ones with Simmons and one with a Nikon Monarch and asked my guests to pick the the highest quality scope and a Simmons is picked more than the others. Tyler prefers the Pro-Hunter to a Leupold and when we were shooting SB Silhouette I removed the Leupold from my rifle and replaced it with a Pro-Hunter.
These three scopes are the only Simmons I have any experience with and do not know if they are typical of the make and model or if they are a fortunate fluke. Mine are great.

IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2004 06:30 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a 4x12 Prohunter that I've used a heck of a lot and like quite a bit. Think I paid $80 for it, years ago. No plans on replacing it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Member # 9

Icon 8 posted February 19, 2004 11:28 AM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy mtnman4x4 welcome to the New Huntmasters.

Some really good advise has been presented. Remember though that Value is relative. Optic and mechanical function vs cost is subjective to the users needs.
I have some of the very high $ scopes and ONE of them is Junk (with a capital J). I also have less expensive scopes that perform well for the application. Some of us older shooters often tend to forget where our roots are when making suggestions about what someone else should buy. Yes, I agree with the majority, get highest quality you can afford.
Back in my younger years I bought what I could afford. When I could afford better I moved up. I bought a lot of inexpensive scopes when in school and in the Air Force and they served me well for many years. A $700 rifle may deserve a $700 scope, but can you afford it. Fit your budget today and let your budget tell you when you can afford to upgrade.

Have as Safe Hunting Day

Ray

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mtnman4x4
PAKMAN
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2004 08:25 PM      Profile for mtnman4x4   Email mtnman4x4         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the advice and wisdom gained. I will probably move to an upper end simmons since I've had pretty good luck in the past with the 44mags and I can't afford a Leupold for at least 6-9mos unless I get lucky on a used one somewhere. I can always move up later.
Paul

--------------------

Pete in Idaho
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2004 09:28 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Wanting a scope for my new Ruger #1 Hornet I reviewed the Scopes&Hunting Optics board. I'd seen this thread and reread it. Then off to my favorite pawnshop to have a look at their scopes. Most of my scopes are Leupold, Lyman All Americans, the "new" Weaver V seiers, and an odd Redfield and old Weaver K or 3 thrown in.
Anyway, upon Rich Higgen and DAA's advice I bought my first Simmons. A Pro Hunter 6X18. I checked out the paralex as best I could at the store and it seemed to adjust out ok. At home after mounting it I took it to my shooting bench. The rifle zeroed with 6 shots and the scope is clear and bright. Now this hornet is used only as a ground squirrel and magpie gun. I won't be out in the rain with it much and if it fails me I always have another gun with me.
I paid $60 for this like new scope, THANK YOU Rich and DAA. Pedro

PS--I took a marking pen and blacked out the name Simmons so friends won't laugh at me. [Wink]

IP: Logged
Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
For night hunting I use a $40 Bushnell 6x40, on a $300 winchester .223. I've had it for years. I too was in school and didn't want to put a lot of money into coyote hunting if I didn't like it. Well I still love it and still use the old cheap set up. I used it so much because it was all I could afford at the time. I shoot the heck out of that gun. I know ever inch of it and feel safe shooting it at night becasue I'm so familure with it. It has a heavy duplex which is nice for shooting long periods at night. And if it breaks, dents, scratches who cares I'll buy another one. I've even dropped my gun one night on the highway when the sling broke and the scope hit first on the top adjustment knob. It is still on zero, even after all these years. So buy a cheap one if thats all you can afford and go have fun. REMEMBER you still need to buy ammo, gas and grube. FUN FUN FUN is the key, you have the rest of your life to build the perfect rifle. Besides just as soon as you spend all your money on a gun, the sewer is bound to back up or the transmission in the truck goes out. I know some of you guys know what I'm talking about.
Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
MJM
Member # 270

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 02:23 PM      Profile for MJM           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also NOT a Leupold fan. If I have some real money sitting around for a scope I grab for the Bausch & Lomb elite series (Yes I know that those knot heads at Bushnell changed the name to Bushnell) in either the 4200 (or 4000)or the 3200 (or 3000). For the money these are VERY difficult to beat. My #3 223 has a 3x9 3000 Elite that cost less than $150.00 (Bearbasin) and it an excellent scope.

But my 22-250 carries a 3x10 Simmons 44mag and my 243 carries an older 3x9 Simmons "(Something or other)hunter" scope. Both scopes have preformed well in all conditions. The 3x9 on my 243 was on the rifle when it left the pawn shop. I paid around $100 for the 44mag. I like the 44 mag line of scopes, but have not been impressed with either the Aztec or the prohunter lines.

If I needed a scope I'd look very closely at the Bushnell Elite 3200 series at both Bear Basin and SWFA. You'll get alot of scope for the money.

Posts: 97 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rooster32
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 07:56 PM      Profile for rooster32   Email rooster32         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a Bushnell, go to www.natchezss.com

Their prices are hard to beat on the Bushnell's.

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MJM
Member # 270

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 08:24 AM      Profile for MJM           Edit/Delete Post 
Natchez has fair prices, no question about it, however I just looked and Natchez's lowest price on their Bushnell 3200 Elite's is $199.00, Both Bearbasin and SWFA have 7 models that are $10 - $20 cheaper. I've dealt with all three of these companie and have had very good service from all of them.
Posts: 97 | From: Tucson, Az | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
rooster32
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 12:13 PM      Profile for rooster32   Email rooster32         Edit/Delete Post 
MJM,

When pricing Natchez, make sure you call them cuz they run specials on the Bushnells often. I just bought a 4200 6x24 from them and they were the cheapest at $359. SWFA is $389 and Bear Basin is $399 for the same item.

Take care.

Posts: 26 | From: Sandy, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mtnman4x4
PAKMAN
Member # 304

Icon 14 posted April 27, 2004 12:53 AM      Profile for mtnman4x4   Email mtnman4x4         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the good info. A friend has a 44 mag and I got to compare it to the aetec. the 44 mag was more clear. I bought a 3-10 44mag off ebay for $48 with ride. Should be out of school in a month and will be working at the VA. Will save up money for a better scope and a 22-250.Right now she sits on a Savage 93 17hmr heavy barrel. They are tack driving rifles. 3 shot nickel size hole at a 100 yds.
Good Hunting,
Paul

--------------------

Jon E
Member # 403

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2004 08:53 AM      Profile for Jon E   Email Jon E         Edit/Delete Post 
I as well have never had a problem with a Simmons scope. But I think I'm going to give a higher end Tasco a try instead this time, I've never had any trouble with them as well.

Well I went and picked up a Tasco 6x24x40mm OA TT (about $90.00) and got it sighted in on the Remington 700 ADL .223 Rem. This one will be for longer shots and seeing what is out there farther away so a 6x24x40mm I want to be able to see a 2" x 2" square clearly at 300 or farther.

[ October 12, 2004, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Jon E ]

Posts: 12 | From: Kalispell, Mt. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
coon_whacker
PAKMAN
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 03:17 PM      Profile for coon_whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at either a 6-24x50 or a 8-32x52. this gun will be for groundhogs and predators. There are some really nice looking scopes on www.sportsmansguide.com for under $100 with the specs specified above. Let me know what you guys think about them for a .223, there is also one that is a rangefinder scope I was interested in also. All input is greatly appreciated.

mike

dafooge
Member # 432

Icon 10 posted November 02, 2004 04:59 PM      Profile for dafooge   Email dafooge         Edit/Delete Post 
try this link for a scope,,www.muelleroptics.com [Big Grin]
Posts: 27 | From: syracuse new york | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
foxhunter69
Member # 617

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for foxhunter69   Email foxhunter69         Edit/Delete Post 
take a look at the simmons atec its only 130 dollars and it is a good clear scope go to SWFA.com
Posts: 16 | From: VA beach VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters