The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Optics forum   » Tell me about Scopes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell me about Scopes
Pilgrim on Earth
Knows what it's all about
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
2 questions. Answers based on practical experience are appreciated.

#1 - Considering their use for predator hunting (night time hunting included), do you think the high end optics are really worth the considerable extra expense?

#2 - Considering their use for predator hunting (night time hunting included, but not talking about night vision), what's the best scope for under $1000?

Thanks fellas.

Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if they are still making them, but by golly, I sure had a lot of luck with 3.5X10X44 VXIII Leupold scopes. Not too fancy, but they sure work.

I have gotten into higher end scopes, the past ten/fifteen years or so, but I could still use those scopes. Plenty of magnification. Currently, the only one I own is on my 300Win. Mag. and I have no plans to change it.

I'm assuming you hunt with a light. If you are hunting by moonlight, the big 56mm Europeans can't be beat.

So, question #1, no, not worth the considerable extra expense, unless you really get into night hunting in a big way.

Question # 2. I don't know for sure, have not looked through every scope on the market? The 4.5X14X50 VXIII Leupold and the 4.5X14X44 Conquest are very nice scopes for that application. Well under $1000.

The very best, strictly night hunting. I'd get a 2.5X10X56MM Zeiss. The best night hunting scope I own is a 3X12X56 Kahles, but those cost a little more. But, these are a little bulky for all around work, day stands and night hunting.

So, we are back to the compromise solution, and I think that 3.5X10 Leupold is a good dual purpose scope.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had a high end scope. But, I can tell you this, I have had great luck with Swift. Good scopes and great warranty. Best I have seen. I have several 4-12 and one 6-18 and love them.

I got a gun from AZ Hunter with a Simmons ATech on it and was gonna scrap it, til I used it. Now I got another one of them too....

If Vic chimes in, he may actually talk of those scopes some, at least he has in the past. I like them too...

FWIW

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 03:50 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
For my money it's hard to beat the Burris fullfield II.I've Got two of them.A 3x9-40 BP on my .221 fireball,and a 4.5x14-42 BP that I used to have on my .22-250 but I swapped it to my .204 ruger.I'm probably going to get a couple more this year.One for my rebarreled .22-250,and one for my .223 AI.Both will probably be 3.5x10-50 BP.FWIW Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 06:34 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Warranty? Don’t know too much about warranty? I know the Burris warranty is good as I have sent in two scopes to them. Leopold is another story don’t know if there warranty is good or not, mainly because I’ve never had to use it. Yes I do own several Leopold’s

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leopold....was a nature lover and author,he never made optics. Maybe your thinking of the optics firm called Leupold? [Smile]
I don't know why that bugs me so much, but every time I hear the name pronounced that way, or written, it makes me squirm?
Kind of like the proper pronunciation of Sako, so many guys will pronounce it "say'-co", instead of the correct "sock'-o". Kind of like bellying up to the counter at Taco Bell, and asking for a dozen tay-cos:)
Language is a funny thing aint it.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a regional thing, Vic? I'm with you 100% on Leupold, but indifferent on Sako. Albert gets a little slack, he's Canadian, and he promised me a wolf, this year. Whoopie! I'll be there, checking fares now.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
#1, yes, I only complain about the price once, but using a quality scope is a joy every time. Whenever I lend one to a novice, they really see the difference.

And #2, If you're going to get into a lot of night hunting, you might look around to somehow pay less than retail for the best 56mm you can find. That's the only way you'll keep it under a $grand.

Similar to Leonard, I own and like both the Zeiss 2.5-10x56 and the Kahles 3-12x56 30mm tube Europeans the best. But I've always shopped and managed to pick them up pre-owned, slightly ringed, or with a rifle already underneath, and deeply discounted. At dusk and dawn, or with a spotlight, they're really really good, and neither is AO, but they are still big and cumbersome. I'd consider a Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 to be of similar quality. The only scope in that category anywhere close to $1K new/retail though is a fixed power Swarovski 8x56.

I also own and like an older NightForce 5-20x56 30mm (it's now a 5.5-22) and that is also an excellent piece of glass, but it's really big and heavy AO, and not something you want to carry further than the hatch.

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters