The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » ? for Cal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ? for Cal
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, Found this track today leading into a deep cedar-choked creek channel.

-

That's a .22-250 casing beside it for reference. It's on ice/ frozen snow and sunk in about 1-2-inch, it had three fairly discernable lobes to the back edge of the tarsal pad.

Does this look like cat or dog to you?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Knows what it's all about
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Feline.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat.

Just to be certain, I compared your pic to some pics that I have taken of known lion tracks and they look the same.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
But,... there aren't lions in KS. Just ask the guys with the state. Now I am confused.

Funny thing, the whole area was crisscrossed with buttloads of deer and coyote tracks, and this is the only track of this configurationt that I could find because whatever made it stayed in the truck tracks down the road, but it stood right out and got my attention as I walked by.

Thanks for the input so far.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
Cat, no toenails.

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
It does look exactly like the tracks in the snow Bearman Rick showed me, only bigger, which were lion tracks.

The cat tracks we saw also stayed directly in our tire tracks, and if it wanted to cross over to the other wheel track, it did so in a single bound.

Footprints in the snow will grow some with time and sun, how old do you figure those were, and what kind of sun exposure did they see?

Pretty cool, I hope you get to see it.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 04:47 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Call in the Hounds!!!!!
I'd guess a cat, but I've been wrong before, (if you don't believe that, ask my wife). Sometimes it is hard to tell with a snow track. I once followed a pyranese guard dog track for a few hundred yards before I could be sure it wasn't a huge lion track, so from one track it's hard to be sure, but I'd sure guess it to be a lion. Maybe another from the Black Hills of South Dakota, I know Kansas already had one of those this year.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 05:52 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Cal.

This place is stinkin' with big cats. The one in Lawrence was "confirmed" through epithelial DNA found in droppings. Of course, KDW&P poo-poo'd that as planted evidence or an escaped pet. Two have been killed just over the border in MO in the KC area, one just over the border in NE near Omaha, one on the KS/OK line that was apparently hit by a train, and of course, CO is so full of them you can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting another one. But, and we thank God every day for this, they have all met their untimely demise just inches and moments before crossing the line into Kansas.(that one by OK was CLOSE!) God save us if they ever breech our perimeter.

KDW&P has changed their stance from the old position that "we do not have cougars in Kansas!" to, "We do not have conclusive evidence to demonstrate the presence of cougars in Kansas." Yet, every time we show them a track or a video or a picture, they want DNA. When we give them DNA, they say it's a pet. If I ever see one, I'm not going to kill it, but I'm damned sure gonna wing it enough to collect some blood, then get someone in regular law enforcement with some brains to help me secure the blood and submit it for testing once and for all. Hell, I might just kill it and stick it in my freezer, then see if the urban legends about inerperitoneal transmitters are true. If the stories are accurate, I should have a game warden on my front porch inside an hour.

Then again , the stories are great. For instance, just a mmonth ago, a guy told me someone who is related to a guy he works with ( [Wink] ) shot one attacking their cattle. They called the local CO who came to their farm where he rolled the tarp back off where it lay in the bed of their truck, grabbed it and dragged it to his truck and drove off without saying a word. Hmmmmmmmm. This guy was surprised I didn't believe him. Well, first off, as usual, nobody had any pictures. Don't you think if you were the first person to whack a cougar in Kansas in over a hundred years, that you could find a damned camera to take one picture? Apparently not. And don't you think that if you whacked the first cougar in a hundred years and had the physical evidence to put the debate to rest once and for all that the CO would have either one or a thousand questions to ask you? The last thing I'd expect is for him to load it up and drive off without saying so much as a word. Go figure

My only ***********, er, misgiving, was that it might not be round enough, yet at the same time, it sure looks like a cat. For purposes of bragging rights, I agree with you. Thanks again for the reply, and to the rest for your input as well.

[ January 15, 2005, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
I will say a dog. Pic is not very clear. Looks like a toe nail mark above the right toe. Also the upper pad seems too round and doesnt show a double lobe. I cant see the tripple lobe on the botton either. I can be wrong. Tracks will fool you sometimes. Poop almost never does.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Using the information at this site that was sent to me late this morning,

http://www.cougarsanctuary.org/tracks.html

I would have to lean toward dog as well. I'd never really noted the indention in the anterior tarsal pad, but I went to a fur sale here in town and was able to look over a half-dozen bobcat hides with their feet attached and, by golly, they're there. Good eyes. Thanks. To all.

--------------------

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to say dog. It appears to have only one lobe at the front of the plantar pad and normally a cougar track is either more round overall or wider than it is long. Most dog tracks do show toenails but in an old track or one on hard snow they may be tough to see, especially if only a couple tracks are available. The stride of a large dog and cougar will be close to the same but the gait will be different too.

I bought a book years back I think was called "mammal tracking". It has a wealth of info on many types of animals. Highly recommend it. There is plenty of the real thing out there to see too though. [Smile]

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters