The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Mountain lion pics.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mountain lion pics.....
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 09:33 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few pics of a cougar taken this year about a week before the season ended. (little over a month ago) I know some of you have seen it already. Sorry about the re-run. Not the big jughead male I hoped for but she will make a nice rug. Very tasty meat too. [Smile]

-

-

Little scenic pic on the way to second stand....

-

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 09:59 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
She's beautiful Curt. So is the country. What sound did you use?
IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not the big jughead male I hoped for but she will make a nice rug.

She's a hell of a lot bigger than most of us Predator callers will ever even see in the wild.

Congratulations on a great cat!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Curt, Ive been lucky enough to call one in too, and have seen several others while calling. You have a dandy there, thats a nice cat my friend!
I'd Sure like to sit thru the story....surely you got one, give it up:)

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 18, 2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Curt. I think we deserve a full report. What call used, what caliber and bullet? Did she go down hard? How long was the stand? Cold calling, or had you scouted it? Time of day? ....all of it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
What part of the Gorge ?

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much fellas. Sorry it took so long to get back. Long day today. Grabbed some dinner and a shower before getting a peek at the computer.

Rich, I was using fawn distress mixed with some cougar sounds.

Gutpile, I wasn't in the gorge. [Smile]

I'll see if I can put you guys to sleep with the blow by blow.

I left the house about 10:30 AM. Arrived at the calling area about 40 minutes later. I drove till I encountered a long muddy section of road and decided that was far enough. I got my truck off the road and began walking in further. After about 1/2 mile I found a spot that looked like a good place to make a stand. I wasn't seeing much for animal sign other than some hound tracks and man tracks. After an hour of calling with no takers, I moved on.

The weather was beautiful. Unseasonably warm. After walking far enough that I felt I was calling fresh ground again, (about another 1/2 mile) I ventured down a skid trail till I came to a clearing. I had been to this spot before. Last time I was there, a huge slash pile was in the middle of the clearing. Since my last visit the pile had been burned. Now the clearing was transformed into a attractive calling stand with a good view. I set the foxpro on a log at the edge of the burn pile. I found a good place to sit under some low hanging fir tree branches that provided a shady place to hide. Started the stand with some fawn distress on the e-call. Let it play for about 15 minutes. Then switched to some cougar sounds. About this time I'm cussing the unseasonably warm weather as I feel ants crawling in my pant legs.

After another 5-10 minutes I see some movement coming through the trees. I adjust my aim slightly to the left to get squared up with the critter about to emerge. Out comes an eager cougar at a trot to investigate the sounds coming from the burn pile. It was coming in as fast as a coyote. Not at a dead run but a definite trot. None of that sneaky stuff. Things were happening fast enough that there wasn't really enough time to get very excited.

The cougar stops about 25 yards away from the call to look things over. I took the opportunity to shoot. When I shot the cougar jumped slightly so I was confident of a solid hit. It managed to run a short distance making it behind some trees. I racked another round in the chamber, waited a few minutes and went to look for it. I didn't see it laying where I expected it to be and started wondering if I possibly made a poor shot. I circled back and found it quite dead a short distance from where I shot it. Hit it behind the shoulder. Was using Win mod 70 22-250. The Sierra 55gr. HP did it's job well. Tiny hole going in and no exit. No meat loss.

I was basically cold calling. Tracking conditions were poor. There was hardly any snow left and only a few muddy patches. I hadn't really scouted it but this area is fairly close to my house and I knew it held lions. I just tried calling to what looked to be likely cougar haunts.

The meat is very good. I took several round steaks and put them in a crock pot yesterday with BBQ sauce and a little soy sauce. Had it for dinner tonight. It was excellent. Fell apart with a fork. Tasted like BBQ beef. Kids and wife liked it too.

Anyway, that's about it. Thanks again for the kind words.

Good hunting, Curt

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrrrrrrrr (no pun intended) Grrrrrrrrrrr

I'm jealous!!! [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
robins
Member # 410

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 11:35 PM      Profile for robins   Email robins         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh am I jealous. It makes me want to leave school for the year and go home so I can start doing some hunting of my own again instead of sitting behind a desk reading and drooling over all your stories.
That is a beautiful cat, I saw one like that, a real big female, near my house a couple years back in broad day light. Should have taken it but I was without tag and rifle.
Ahh I only have two weeks left then I go home… guess I can wait it out.

Posts: 33 | From: Joseph, OR | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Loco and robins. Appreciate the kudos.

robins, I have a few friends in law enforcement over in OR. They say cougar complaints are at an all time high. Calling should get better and better. Good luck on connecting with one. It will happen.

Good hunting to the both of you. [Smile]

Ladeeraven
Member # 652

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Ladeeraven   Author's Homepage   Email Ladeeraven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, it's my first time on this board. Do you all hunt with dogs? If so, what kind of dogs?

I put together the first ever Coonhound Calendar™ for 2005 and I am working on gathering photos for the 2006 calendar. If you have pictures of your coonhounds during the hunt please visit http://www.ravengraphix.com/Pages/GraCalendar2004-1.html
to see samples of the calendar like this one
 -

Send me your pictures for consideration.
Thanx for your time.

--------------------
Wife to a great white hunter,
People pet to a bluetick
Artist because it is who I am
~Gayle~

Posts: 27 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters