The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » Chance sighting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chance sighting
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an outage call today at lunch time. I had to meet a man from El Paso Gas for a no voltage complaint.

The meter was about a mile off of the highway, I got back to it and quickly determined I had a blown fuse back at the highway, only the indicator hadn't dropped for me to see it as I drove past it the first time.

So I drove back up to the highway, replaced the fuse and started the paper work that occurs with any outage.

When I finished up, I checked my driver side mirror out of habit, even though I was off the high way on a little dead end dirt two track.

I was really surprised to see a large Bobcat walking up the middle of the road with a cottontail rabbit in his mouth. He was a little more than a hundred yards away when I first saw him, he got to with in 50 yards and turned off down a wash. I hopped out of the truck with some binoculars and watched him disappear into the brush.

I guess I know where I'm going to be calling come Sunday Morning!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Would have been nice to have gotten that on film,Tim

I was sleeping in the front of my truck a while back...I woke up and looked out my window and there stood a bobcat in front of my truck.

About 20 yards further,across the dirt road layed a budweiser can.
The bobcat went over to the can and started sniffing where it was popped open.
It sniffed at the opening in the can for a while and then left.
About 5 minuites later it returned to the can and started sniffing again...[I didn't know bobcats liked beer] [Confused]
I wish i would have captured that on film and turned it over to the budweiser people.LOL

I never seem to have a camera along when I wanted it the most. [Frown]

Good luck to ya calling him in [Wink]

[ November 17, 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 233

Icon 6 posted November 17, 2005 10:34 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool sight, Tim, thanks for sharing. Whatever else might happen to you that day, any day you see a bobcat is a pretty good one, huh?

And Melvin, yep--I always try to remember to bring the camera with me in the truck. Worth mentioning though, that in order to get a bobcat filling the frame it's gotta be within about 30 feet, using my 200-400mm Nikkor.

Hey, you can always try to squeak 'em closer, that's what I do.

Ummm... on the other hand, that Leopard roar I emailed you guys the other day might just freak out a bobcat, wouldn't be my first selection of the stand...

LionHo

[ November 17, 2005, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 09:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
This kinda qualifies as a chance sighting. A novice in our club called in a lion and his partner shot it for the Sept. club hunt. Same novice glassing for whitetail in unit 37 last week saw two lions hunting together at mid day. Blew a couple of waaa's on his call, both lions turned and ran toward him. He shot the first one to reach him. Two lions in two months.
Not bad for a novice caller.

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Rich. And I bet the guy's sitting around the clubhouse telling everyone 'bout how it ain't so hard callin' lions. [Wink] Doesn't know what the big deal is anyway. [Confused]

[ December 01, 2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters