The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Cat forum   » The Truth about mountain lions (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Truth about mountain lions
Nahuatl
Knows what it's all about
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 07:09 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my own gear, got up and close and personal, pushed the button on the camera with my very own finger, pulled my own trigger, and even told the truth about it later. It just isn't that hard.

-

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 07:15 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Two cats in 10 days. This one was a bit smaller and weighed 185. The one above was 220.

-

I'm going to target ML's again this season and the gear is almost ready. We're going to start in earnest a little early this year, in August.

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 07:35 AM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl...how old do you think the lion is in your first photo?

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome pictures man give us more!!!

CONGRATS!!!!

For real 220lbs.??? SPECTACULAR!!! What a huge head on that monster!!!

I could be wrong about this so I'll go try to look it up. But,...I'm pretty sure the record Mountain Lion in Colorado was 220 lbs. and killed by President Roosevelt. It was the largest taken until just a few years ago.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 01:23 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm envious. Seriously.

Damned nice cat. We've got plenty of cats down my way, but nothing close to that size.

Awesome. Please give us more pics. Many more.

Drooling,

Tripp

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 06:46 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice cats, Gary.
Where'd you get 'em, whose hounds ran 'em up the tree for ya?
LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted June 10, 2006 07:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and what part of BC was it? (just kidding)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
The big cat above was estimated by a biologist to be nine years old. Cats are Bishop, Minersville, and Dyer. The bear is Kern County, amazingly near my home here in southern California.

I thought these would liven up the off-season. I'm saving a few more good ones, including a monster jet-black CA bear from last season. My intention was to distract all you guys from your coytote jones and some of the internet nonsense that goes on with the real deal.

In all these photos, there's nothing between me and claws and jaws except three feet of air. I shot all these pictures with my own hand under a variety of circumstances. Sorry about the poor quality, but I beat a camera up, lose them regularly, and these photos are taken in less than ideal circumstance. I'm always ready to retreat if necessary.

Leonard, you saw the "Bear in the culvert" series before, so you know I've got a bonfire sized reputation when it comes to tales of big predators. This shot was taken in total darkness. I could see the bear only in the instant the flash went off.

-

I've been head-to-head with mean critters many times now. One of these days, you're going to run into one of the guys who's been with me on one of my happenstance impromptu photo shoots. I never plan this stuff. They all think I'm absolutely crazy. I get my motivation from an old friend who tranq'd a brown bear by hand in a brushpile near the Alaska pipeline on the request of big oil and the AK governor. They flew him in from CA on a private jet. He saved the governor from a beating by the press and the oil company from a $1 Mil fine. After he told me his story, I knew I could do it too. What was I thinking?

I crawled down into a cave with this big tom, took his picture several times from three feet away with my cheap little Olympus auto-everything film camera, then tranq'd him with a hypodermic syringe of PCP on a ski pole. At the time, I thought it was so cool, I never considered the danger, or even thought of being afraid. He'd been hanging out near the elementary school in Bishop, CA. I helped radio-collar and then release this bad dude. I was a big $$$ supporter of a CA DFG deer depradation study in the Round Valley and was an active participant on a couple of their collaring expeditions. This was another world class B&C or SCI head.
 -

Ivan, I think you just got lucky with your trail cam. I don't think you'll ever get this close to a real animal.

[ June 10, 2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm? I shot a lion once, very close to Minersville.

I thought my partner was brave, once. He went down pigah crater mine shaft, after a gray fox.

You might be more than a little crazy, Gary? Like; what's the worst thing that could happen?

Thanks for sharing. (yeah, I remember seeing the bear in the culvert photos, before)

And, I think Danny is right about Teddy's lion weighing 220 pounds?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:30 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure a person could lose the side of their face in a single swipe, and then live to tell about it. Dieing would be easier. But I never think about that in the heat of the moment. All I can think about is the little green light telling me the flash is charged up again. We'll be hunting lions and bears again this season, and I'm sure there will be many times where I'm carrying only a camera and relying only on luck and my (lack of) common sense to get me through.

Liz wants a bear this season, so we're going to try calling one for her. The nice thing about it is game looks so much bigger when there's a little girl standing next to it, instead of my big self.

[ June 10, 2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:41 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl,

Unless I missed something, you didn't say weather you used dogs or not. Cool pics though.

Here's a similar story from last season from this area. These guys went into a cave after a wounded cat.

http://www.scenicsports.com/history/index.html

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 09:42 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Nahuatl,

I'm a big time believer in no fear when it comes to working up close with wild animals.

I really believe that they can sense your fear, and are more likely to attack if they sense it.

It's not a lack of common sense, its good sense you show by not having a face full of fear. Fear is good for nothing but getting you hurt!

And I love the pictures!

[ June 10, 2006, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2006 10:49 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll bite. You've got me curious enough to at least play along to see where you're headed with this thread, Gary.
But if you want me to dance, you'll have to answer a few questions:

First, I believe the question of dogs is still on the table.

Secondly, how old are those lions, really... pre- or post- 117?

Third, is this intended to be, like, somehow "edjumacashunal", or are you just bored?

[ June 11, 2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
You misjudge me Ivan. You're paranoid. It's no big secret I've been a cook in Chuck Bert's camp for years. You ought to try my dutch oven apple crisp. By the way, great kitten pic. Where were you when your camera took it?

[ June 11, 2006, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 09:05 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Nomex suit... check!
Pilstrom snake tongs...check
Pith helmet... check!
BS Scanner... profiled & calibrated!]

Rules of Engagement not satisfied. You answer first.

The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
DING!

Round one.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 12:39 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Awright, break's over! Let's get back to sorting out the pussy's from the cats. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I missed something? Unless this is in regard to some pics posted a while ago using the trail cam and the lion photos?.....two delicate egoes at match here or what:)
I'd like to know too, were those cats taken while lion hunting, or chasing dogs, that were lion hunting?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think the trail cam photo by Lionho is part of it, and my guess is that these two fellas know each other, to some degree? Otherwise, it's a little difficult to grasp who is making what point?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little lost also Leonard...

Either way that is one damn big lion in the top pic. Got any other pics of it? I don't know what is considered "normal" in Nahuatl's country, but around here a 220 lb. lion would be about as common as an 8 foot tall human.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 4 posted June 20, 2006 06:45 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeeez, you g..g..guys are lost, t..t..too?

I f..f..found that this set of t-t-tracks going 'round and 'round the tree and they kept getting bigger and bigger and now here we are in this narrow box canyon and it's getting kind of d..d..dark (he said, jumping up and down in an exercising sort of way).

LionHo

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 07:08 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing is a little bizarre to say the least. Especially your last post lionHo, very odd indeed.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted June 20, 2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really clears things up?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 08:36 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Lionho's last post is hilarious: wise, funny... and pointed.
Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
ninthinning
Member # 900

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 04:33 PM      Profile for ninthinning           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone called a mountain lion with a hand call?

[ July 23, 2006, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: ninthinning ]

--------------------
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Posts: 67 | From: Colden | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters