The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Another contest? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Another contest?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted June 20, 2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of enjoyed the little contest that Varmit Hunter Started up. I really enjoyed reading the responses.

So when I screwed up Fathers day for this little dog this morning, it came to my mind that I ought to do something along the same lines.

But I don't have a fancy set of scales, and I don't have anything I feel like giving away.

But I have a range finder, and I ranged this little coyote before I touched the trigger.
 -

So here's the deal, who ever can come closest to the exact yardage that the 162 grain Amax had to travel, I'll donate $10 to the Predator Callers Hall of Fame in your name.

Three days is long enough, I'll post the range and winner Wednesday night.

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Knows what it's all about
Member # 157

Icon 12 posted June 20, 2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
oooo... let me guess... 162 yards... that's my guess and I'm sticking to it [Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
That 162 grain Amax traveled 461 yards.

Just for kicks, 16 lbs. 8oz.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
COONASS
Member # 299

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 11:38 AM      Profile for COONASS           Edit/Delete Post 
By the looks of da hindquarter shot........ He must of been at least 527.7 yards... [Wink] With a cross wind of 19.5 knots... [Frown]

--------------------
We live in a world of give and take but few are willing to give what it takes.......

Posts: 44 | From: South Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That prime furred specimen, was ranged and shot at 627 yards.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 03:12 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
SinceI know you are a very good marksman, since it had to be far enough away that you thought you were making a head shot when you shot it in the ass, since you would be able to tell the difference at less than 500 yards, I'll take that number. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What a runt. Texas has bigger rats. 403 yards, with a 15 MPH crosswind.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'd like to guess 212 yds... but I know from reading Q's stories... you guys don't bother rangefinding "close ones" like that.

I'll stick to my algorithimic method of picking numbers... and say;

313 Final answer.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is really a guessing match! I'll go 435 yds.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
357 yards.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
FILL IN THE GAPS! HA!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 05:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
628 yds.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 06:23 AM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
391 yds final answer

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I didn't shoot him in the ass. That would be the exit wound.

I thought about making up a neat story to go along with it about how I was out working for Uncle Sammy and I found him putting the stalk on a bunch of Lambs. So I turned the Airdork nation loose to toll him back for a quick clean kill.

But I decided if some one wants to get filled with crap they can go to a different board. [Wink]

Truth is, we both showed up in the same general area looking for Jack Rabbits. I just happened to spot him before he spotted me. [Eek!]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember his previous signature? If I kill him at 1500 yards, will you go get him? (something like that?)

Maybe he did?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 04:55 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Leonard, My record for a coyote kill is just under 900 yards. This coyote didn't set any records. [Frown] He just stood still for too long.

Does that help narrow it down for you [Confused]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 05:29 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, and others that may know. Where did this term "tolling dog" come from? I have been around decoy dogs or denning dogs a long time but until black board reading had never heard of a "tolling" dog. It may just be something different up here or I just missed something along the way. Just one of those curiosity deals.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 07:14 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Cal. Best as I can determine, it is apparently a highly trained dog that charges for a service, privilege, or a tax and then rings a bell?
IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal- I believe the term came from Nova Scotia. There is a waterfowling dog that is called a Nova Scotia duck toller. They are red in color and about the size of a fox. Apparently, they run around on the bank of a lake and swim around the edges. The ducks would come over to investigate probably thinking a fox was going to get their nest or ducklings. When the ducks got in range the hunters would shoot them. I know this sounds unbelieveable but look them up. That's my best guess.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 09:12 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad you are 100% correct on the dogs.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 12 posted June 22, 2004 10:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, "The Nation" is highly trained?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be damned........

And I thought all this time that an Okie couldn't teach me anything !

LOL! Thanks Brad.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 11:05 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first hear it, I had wondered about the term tolling dogs, so I looked up the word tolling in the online dictionary.

Here's what it says;

Main Entry 3: toll
Variant(s): or tole /'tOl/
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): tolled or toled; toll·ing or tol·ing
Etymology: Middle English tollen, tolen; akin to Old English fortyllan to seduce
1 : ALLURE, ENTICE
2 a : to entice (game) to approach b : to attract (fish) with scattered bait c : to lead or attract (domestic animals) to a desired point

Apparently it goes back a long ways.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 12 posted June 22, 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell you a little story. Tim and I was out last fall, and he brought "THE GUN" with him. I bitched and moaned because it is not trailer mounted, and barely fit in my Suburban. [Big Grin] He said he had to shoot up 20 rounds to reload for a match the following weekend. I am here to tell ya, he can flat shoot that gun. Hell, it takes a round the size of "Heinz Katcup Bottle". [Big Grin]

I would point out a rock, I mean, waaaayyyyy out there, and tell him to hit it. He didn't miss one single shot. He was shooting like 700 to 1000 yards with that THING. And since he is going to "Pony Up" some money to the Hall of Fame, I will not venture a guess.

Leonard,
quote:
So, "The Nation" is highly trained?
You have to be "scattin me." [Big Grin]

Take care.

[ June 22, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: bucksnort ]

--------------------
"There are lion chasers, lion catchers, and lying SOB's."

"Warriors of El Gato - The Lion"

Posts: 368 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

I don't know where they came up with those weird answers. But I have been in the company of what I'm told are the best tolling dogs ever produced.

Tolling dogs are nothing more than Airdorks allowed to run amuck. They love to jump on your rifle and scope with muddy wet feet, slobber on your neck between stands, because they are too valuable to ride in a dog box, And will chase after anything that runs from them. Including, but not limited to horses, cattle, deer, rabbits, javalina and coyotes. They'll run them plumb out of sight and ignore all of your pleading to return until they have run them at least a mile.

You should buy a couple, they will save you a ton of money wasted on ammo each year.

Edit:

I forgot to mention, they also understand English. All you have to do is tell them what you want to hunt each morning, Coyotes, Lions or Bear, and they will understand and hunt only that. Each with about equal success.

[ June 22, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters