The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Home! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Home!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
They made it. Discovery is home. Only in America!!!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ever sleep? [Big Grin] Yipper good to see this one down.
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Just seen it on tv! Good to see them make it back ok!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Wheew! We were all holding our breath on that one. Edwards AFB got them out of the air ASAP, even though Kennedy SC was open.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 6 posted August 09, 2005 11:25 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, I seen em touch down on T.V. Our old buddy NASA did it again.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

They need to reassess the program. Like the last trip; children's experiments. I'm sorry, this is not a valid reason for the risks and the expense.

Time to develop the new technology they have been talking about, and retire the Shuttle.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I agree on most points there, especially the one about the importance of children's experiments and moving onto the next generation of shbuttles. But, how much of the time that those missions have been up do you suppose they've been doing important stuff like (re)positioning satellites and the like to watch over our friends in the Middle East? I think that there's a lot more going on with them when they're up as far as national security goes that we simply don't know about. And I think that this program is what gives us such an edge on our competitiors in the world. And it's a big part of why the Chinese getting into space is so concerning to so many. Just a thought.

Oh, and Todd, they landed at 7:10 a.m. my time. I'd been up for an hour. Best part of the day, man.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know if you have seen the proposals, Lance?

They want to position the crew and payload above the rockets and use parachutes and land in water, all in the name of safety. I am 100% in agreement with maintaining our status in space, as long as we are moving on to new endevors, completing the space station and using it as a jump off point to Mars and beyond....if we can do these things and reduce risks to the crew.

We can have 100 successes and one failure, and the failure is what we remember, and (of course) the Dems start a lynch party.

The shuttle is old and risky. It's time to face reality. Develop other launch vehicles, or hang it up.

That's my word. (with apologies to John Gibson)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad they made it. I remember where I was when the last one crashed. I was coyote hunting on a big ranch out in West Texas when my buddy (Bucky) say's "WHAT WAS THAT" I said "What" he said "YOU DIDN'T HEAR THAT? IT SOUNDED LIKE A BOMB GOING OFF". Heck I'm deff as a door knob (Shooting without protection) Come to find out it was the shuttle and it sprayed debris all over Texas. With my luck I glad a piece didn't hit me in the head. Can you imagine the anxiety on that shuttle as they entered the atmosphere? Sure glad they made it. [Big Grin]

[ August 09, 2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Byron South ]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Weve had two failures. One blew apart shortly after take off in the mid 80's, but that is still a good track record considering the task at hand.

Byron

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Guess, I'm the only [black-sheep] on this one. I heard a couple of yrs ago. It costs us taxpayers around 65-million, just to launch that bird.

Geez, wonder what else that could've went towards, Hmmmm. I do believe however, we should have a space program. But not like the one, thats operating now. To much fluff,...IMB.

It doesn't amaze me, of all the [swinging meat] in this World. As well as the toys they need. I've seen the same things many times in my own home town, go figure [Frown] .

OK boys, put the boot to me [Big Grin]

black-sheep kirby [Cool]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Byron, We were hunting on the Krooked River Ranch north of Abilene and heard it. I thought the rock quarry right down the way from the ranch must have been using some mighty big Dynamite.
When we got back to the lodge it was on the big screen TV. I'll never forget it just like the first one in the 80's. You were in diapers then weren't you? [Wink]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted August 09, 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs, I am very pro space program because of all of the advancements in technology due to that effort. Hell Clinton spent $65,000,000 taking 1000 people to China for vacation. What did we learn from that? [Big Grin]
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
"Power corrupts, Absolute power...Corrupts absolutely"...........Author?

[Frown]

Leonard, I'm guessing you've been around the block...A few times, eh. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ August 09, 2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,

Jay once told me that Leonard got his predator hunting start while hunting for Saber Toothed tigers while riding on the back of a modified Wooly Mammoth ( The original California rig ) One guy would drive the mammoth, while one blew the call and held a big shiny quartz to redirect the moonlight into the Animals eyes. He said Leonard was the best spear chucker of his time!

He hasn't just been around the block, he made wheels out of them!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was the technical adviser on "Quest for Fire".

These young pups have no respect. <sheesh>

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, Was Leonard a youth then??? or old? [Big Grin]

RATS!! I want a video of that [Smile]

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 04:09 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Spear chucker? Spears were not invented at the time, we used rocks. Where do you think the phrase Rock & Roll-em come from. [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
WHOOPS!, sorry Leonard. I meant that at Gerald.
I have cataracts [Eek!] can't read to swell.

But......BTW Leonard, is that really true, about the Sabor Tooth Tigers [Confused]

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 04:33 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
"I think that there's a lot more going on with them (shuttle) when they're up as far as national security goes that we simply don't know about."

Lance, more than you know. Much more than can be talked about. [Wink]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You betcha, Nasa, and 2dogs, I'm all for the money we spend on the space program despite what the liberals contend we could do with all that money. Fact is, the technological developments that have come from NASA are what make our standard of living in this country what it is. I work hard - just like you. And my reward is that I can afford a few of those advances rather than spend more of my time making money for entitlement programs to support the people that don't see a need for space exploration. Or, making an honest day's wage for an honest day's work. Or, not getting food stamps. Or, ... you get my point. Another truth is that without the technical edge we have over the rest of the world because of the shuttle program, we wouldn't be able to support the millions who choose not to support themselves in the first place. That shuttle program is what has allowed us to operate militarily the way we do. Two and a half years in a hangar has hobbled us a bit.

Laonard, I agree with you wholeheartedly. My truck is only ten years old while those shuttles are around thirty. Despite its "youth", I'd never dream about driving it as far as they took that shuttle this week. Maybe they need to make a "Ford" shuttle!!! [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[ August 09, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911,

Not everyone, thats not "into" the shuttle is a "liberal" LOL!, you know that though.
---------
Touching on "welfare" Not [all] that are on it...Are "slackers"...well known as per usual.

"Children have no say"

There are...we all know. Pleanty of "dung-parents" out there. That don't give a "rats carcass", about [working] or [parental-responsibility]...thus putting their kids through a tough life...Been there, done that. Didn't volunteer as a kid neither.

Thats why, I was laying on the couch...next to Gerald, whilst he was confessing about" spinners". Un-beknownst to Gerald [Smile] .

Need more anger management class's [Mad]

Almost healed-kirby

[ August 09, 2005, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

I was just North of you around Crowel (Foard county). When we got back to the cabin was when we discovered what had happened and what the sound was. My wife was at home in East Texas and thought a huge wreck had happened. She said the sound rattled the windows.

When the first one exploded in the 80's I was on a construction job in Dallas [Razz] .

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------

Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
When Challenger blew up I was watching it on TV in the classroom. We had written to the teacher on the shuttle, they brought in a TV for the special event. You can imagine the horror as 20 little kids watch it all unfold.

Jeff and I were heading to the Hoods hunt on the second one. When we arrived to pick up a buddy he was watching it on TV. He said it rattled his windows also. What a sad day.

Hope they get the bugs worked out and start the new program soon. Sounds alot safer for the crew, if that is possible.

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 7 posted August 09, 2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I was an audio\visual salesman for a year Byron when I took a sabatical away from the game call business. I had made an early run to Temple that day and came home listening to my favorite Ricky Skaggs tape. When I walked into the showroom of the AV company I worked for everyone was crowded around one of the TVs.

I walked up and made some wisecrack about everybody being on break and someone said "you mean you haven't heard". The crowd split to let me in and my first view of the TV was the replayed scene of the split vapor trail of the exploded shuttle. I will never forget that day.

Man Todd, what a tough way to have to learn about the cold realities of life. That had to be a shocker.

I will never forget the day President Kennedy was shot. The principle came in the classroom and announced the sad news. He almost couldn't talk and the teacher started tearing up. We were dismissed from class early that day and Dewey Kirby and I pumped our fists saying with glee "we get to go home early". I did not really know what the impact of that day was until I saw my mother crying when I got home. She explained it to me.

Bet you were in your diapers for that one Byron. [Big Grin] 1963 wasn't it?

[ August 09, 2005, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters