The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » What kind of work do you do? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What kind of work do you do?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm unemployed, I'm curious how our members keep the wolves from their door, so to speak.

It's okay, if there be any lawyers out there, you needn't single yourself out for abuse. [Smile]

What's your job? Any volunteers

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 12:25 AM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I quit working 5 years ago. Promptly lost half of my net worth in the 2000-2001 Clinton market meltdown. No pension, no healthcare, only what I had saved and lost half of.

The next couple years only saw small gains. 2004 and the first part of 2005 have made up the losses from the end of the Clinton legacy.

In the last 3 years oil stocks have done well and China ETFs have really taken off in the last 2 months.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 03:57 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Fire Service, <4yrs left before retirement[emancipation], if my body holds out. Then I plan on sitting in my rocker & just stare & drool [Big Grin] .
Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:29 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Im a Manager for Pepsi Cola. I run the maintenance department, that takes care of the machinery, and all that boring stuff.

Brent

[ August 16, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:22 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have so many occupations I usually can't remember what I'm getting up to do in the morning. My main source of income is guiding big game hunts from Sept. 1 to Nov. 31. But the rest of the year I seem to stay busy. I live on a large ranch owned by a coal company, and do alot of contract work for them at different times of the year. All stuff outside, I build fence, do dirt work, put in culverts, cattle guards, water lines, stock tanks etc. etc. I am in the process of moving a building for them right now. In the winter I trap for a couple months full time and in the summer I work for a county predator control program part time. Some times it's great to be so self employed and other days I think I should go get a full time job with the coal mine and get all the benefits and make the big bucks with fewer worries.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:39 AM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pedologist. In other words I map soils.
Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:40 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I’m a Space Applications Scientist. I do electronic component reliability and survivability analysis for various Government agencies. I can’t tell you which ones, or I’d have to kill you. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sue and Mark Nami
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:04 AM      Profile for Sue and Mark Nami           Edit/Delete Post 
I work for a shopping mall Security.

--------------------
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough
good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke..1729-1797

Posts: 44 | From: east coast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 08:21 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pimp specializing in wayfaring Chinese girls who are interested in predator callers. Believe me, pimpin' ain't easy! [Smile]

No, really, letter carrier for Uncle Sam for only sixteen more years, then I'll retire at 56, not be eligible for SS for at least another 14 years (by then, I'm sure) and hope to supplement my meager pension with the proceeds of my multinational custom, hand-made predator call manufacturing company and what I can beg, borrow and steal from major outdoor magazines who want me to write them stories about calling coyotes. I hope by then to have phased out the taxidermy business.

In truth, I'll probably be broke, divorced and destitute as a result of all the time I spend in the shop doing other peoples' taxidermy, making calls and writing and will be going door to door at all you guys' houses looking for a warm bed and something to eat.

Nope, pimpin' ain't easy.

Hey, where's Tripp?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dogleg
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Dogleg   Email Dogleg         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a directional driller. I handle the engineering and day to day practical aspects of drilling directional and horizontal oilwells. Working eight days a week is cutting into the hunting time something terrible. [Frown]
Mike

Posts: 30 | From: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Already, interesting vocations showing up. I had no idea.

Actually, I retired a year ago, in June. A Dairy Fairy, no more.

Applied for SS the very day I became eligible, intending to suck it dry before Lance can get his hands on any. (keep that nose to the grindstone, folks)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
I own a small business that focuses on enabling others to secure time and financial freedom by working part-time for themselves.

I also work for American Express Travel Related Services and am responsible for the investments in technology that support the management and introduction of payment products that are offered by the company.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
I work for an independant oil & gas company as a database administrator. Basically, I make the accountants, landmen, and engineers' lives easier by designing data warehouses, writing and building query tools, etc. And I support and maintain our database systems. Okay, yea, what a nerd. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, but I bet you get along better with your computer better than I do with mine. It's a love-hate relationship.

Leonard,

What did you do before you went on welfare?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard,

What did you do before you went on welfare?

I designed and worked with process controls, but please don't tell my mother, she thinks I was the piano player in a whorehouse.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a troubleman for the Electric company in a small border town.

When you call in the middle of the night to report your lights are out, it's me they wake up to send to fix them.

I'm also the guy who cuts off your lights when you don't pay the bill.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Joel... you have a great job... I had the same one for L.L. Bean as well as AXP....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
seeinspots
Member # 676

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:11 PM      Profile for seeinspots   Author's Homepage   Email seeinspots         Edit/Delete Post 
golf course supt. i ave. 70 hrs. a week starting apr. 1 through sept. then tapers off and by nov. its vacation time until mar 1. oh well somebodys got to do it.
Posts: 19 | From: kansas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Retired from Qwest Communications, put in 30 years as a telephone man, outside stuff, lineman, installer, cable splicer etc. Still have 11 years till I can wet my beak in the SS trough, so I work three days a week. Im a doggie hearse driver, pick up stiffs from various animal clinics in Tucson,Phoenix and ElPaso to be cremated, then return urns of ashes.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:25 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Work? I mowed my lawn yesterday.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:50 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Not nearly as exciting as some of the above. I pour concrete for a living. Several perks, but the best one is my job quits me when the fur gets prime.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm a little over half way though a job in Adult Day Care (Correctional Officer for you more politcal correctness types)

Its a week on week off, twenty year retirement so I can't complain too much.

It used to fun back in the Max/Max days but now I have moved up to a correctional farm. Perty much make sure they dont burn the place down or walk away, and if they do I just fill out the right paper work and move on. Great food though!! [Big Grin]

Well any way in 9 short years I hope to maybe live somewhere warm were I can hunt all year around (For different critters then swamp donkies and porcibears) At the ripe age of 45 to boot.

Directional driller...is that another way of saying your a Male Gigilo? [Big Grin]

Todd

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Always some sort of technical pursuit, often a manager, never by choice.

Latest gig involves keeping old Motorola equipment and a couple of their competitors' equipment alive, operations in IL and TX.

Raising cattle in Mo. and IL., the return beats the hell out of what the financial institutions have to offer!

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Todd, in the movies they show the inmates throwing poopoo on the hapless guards. How do you handle it?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to breathe exhaust smoke and carb cleaner now I breathe welding smoke and plasma dust. :>(
Weld/fab for a company that makes ground drilling equipment, bits, pipe, in the ground hammers...

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters