The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hello, ACC (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Hello, ACC
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 06:40 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Things have slowed down a bit and I have time to discuss your concerns and questions that you posted in the "Questions" thread on July 24.
Come on down. We can get some action going on the board. [Smile]

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 05:40 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the idea of going toe to toe with a championship ball room dance like yourself, has scared the poor boy off.

Some folks need to feel the security of censorship and Moderator protection before they can really start running off at the mouth.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 05:42 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 08:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I question the need, but who am I?

I searched his posts and what I got out of it is that he wanted to know what made Vic and Cal and Rich so special?

Most people find that to be rather obvious. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 11:21 AM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ACC said:
I have a question that has been floating around in my head for a while about this whole mess.

What places you up in the upper circle of coyote hunters with Cal, Vic, and Rich? Is it number of prime yotes killed, seen, called. Time or number of posts on a particular internet forum. Is it being a member of shade tree in the past? Is it financially linked. Just what makes a guy as good as these fellas think they are.

I had a chance to look up on the internet and try to find some info on these guys. I entered their names into google and hit enter and the results were..... nothing. I thought I would finds boatloads of information telling me about all their hunting experience and so forth. Nothing, I found so far. There was no coyote god, no internet link to their all so famous website, no letters after their names, no former president of the United States, no heroes status, nothing.

So again I ask what makes this guys such idols in the group.

I have been back and forth on this site and PM and see a lot of mud slinging and name calling from guys that claim they are friends and above the rank of amatuer but seem to lack professionalism. There has been some comments here about jockstraps and it seems to me that yes the jockstraps are off and the guys that seem to know it all have their hands in each others pants stroking each other, and telling each other how good they are.

Someone just tell me how I get there please.

I think I answered his question with my reply in that thread.
quote:
ACC,
Move to an area that has a good population of coyotes, grab a call,gun,camera and/or camcorder and shoot a bunch of dogs. Write about it on message boards, post pic's and videos, maybe even write a book, and BAM your in.
Its funny you asked that because I always wondered what makes someone an "expert" or a "pro" myself. I'm just the opposite, I've been chasing coyotes for about 14 years and to talk to me you would think I just started hunting them and I like it that way.

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, I think most people will shy away from an "expert" label, even if it's deserved.

We used to call it "time in grade" in another life, but your peer group will be who confers status, seems to me?

Along those lines, I have been hunting predators for almost forty years. I know thousands of predator hunters. I (think I) know who walks the walk and talks the talk. You may not be able to "Google" that much information, but it doesn't mean that your results will validate, or invalidate the status of the individuals in question.

I can also recognize phony credentials compared to reality. There are some people that appear to gain a whole decade of experience with every passing season, or video, as the case may be?

An Internet expert does not compare favorably with a real wolfer. Of course, this is where opinions will be important, or not very important, as the case may be.

I could name a few people that don't impress me, but who else really cares what I think? Again, it's your peer group that will give you the status; like, big fish in a little pond; run with the big boys, etc.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 12:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the guys that seem to know it all have their hands in each others pants stroking each other, and telling each other how good they are.

Maybe he's just lonely and needs a date. [Smile] Richard Simmons?

[ August 17, 2006, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgins,
As you have probably noticed already, some folks just ain't brave enough to use their real name when talking big on an open board like this one. I used my real name (Rich Cronk) on this board until some idiot decided to steal my identity and post some crazy stuff. Now I just use Rich for my screen name. I place Cal Taylor and Wiley E right up there with the rest of the best. You ain't too bad yourself except for being so ugly.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 01:59 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you hit the nail on the head Leonard.After a while you can see who walks the walk and who doesn't.At least for the most part.And no it isn't how many pictures of dead coyotes you post, even though that does help.LOL Or how many videos you star in.Or if you get any hits on google.Hell,some of the best coyote callers I know don't even own a computer let alone know how to use one.LOL It's just that once you've hunted coyotes for a while you can tell who knows coyotes and calling and who doesn't.And you are drawn more to the guys that make you a better caller.And IMO Rich H,Cal,and Vic are the real deal, not to mention many many other guys that are members of this site.FWIW Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the guys that seem to know it all have their hands in each others pants stroking each other, and telling each other how good they are.

quote:
I've been chasing coyotes for about 14 years and to talk to me you would think I just started hunting them and I like it that way.
Well, it seams to me he is just a troll with homosexual tendencies that is incapable of learning or “stupid” as I like to call it. Could be wrong though? Probably just a good o’ll boy. LOL

Experts and pros seam to go hand and hand with what ever click you are in. I know of several pros and experts that couldn’t poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel. Then again they aint in my click.

It isn’t really about who is the best or who thinks they are the best it is all about perception on the Internet. All the information you will ever need to hunt coyotes is one mouse click away. If you have a slick tongue, the morals of a whore and keep your nose buried in the right holes you can accomplish a lot. We have all seen it.

I will ditto what Leonard said. I know who walks the walk and who talks the talk. I haven’t been around the boards quite as long as Leonard but I did get to set in on some good Shade Tree discussions. LOL Weren’t them the days? LOL

Internet predator hunting boards have a high turnover rate so it makes it even easier for the pimps to operate. The problem is that they forget about the old dogs on the porch that watched them go from struggling callers to Internet legends in the course of a few years. Ya got to hand it to them though. They are/were smart enough to know who to listen to.

What I like about this little click is that in my mind most of you fellas walk the walk so when you decide to talk the talk you have my undivided attention.

Thanks

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 06:11 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above posts.
I'm not ACC I just quoted his post from the other thread.
I did say:
quote:
"I've been chasing coyotes for about 14 years and to talk to me you would think I just started hunting them and I like it that way."
and by that I meant I don't like to brag and would rather listen to what you have to say than say anything myself.
I think its funny when you go onto these message boards and you read posts from all these self-proclaimed "experts" and "pro's". I think as far as the internet goes the more posts you have the "better" you are, more so on PM's than any other board.
I do not doubt that Rich H,Rich C,Vic,Cal,Leonard,etc. are very proficient at calling coyotes. On the other hand, when you live/hunt in areas where they are abundant its not that difficult, Its like deer hunting in PA.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 06:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand, when you live/hunt in areas where they are abundant its not that difficult, Its like deer hunting in PA.

There's a statement from an Eastern caller that surprises me.
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what makes one an expert at anything. However, I do know that when I'm having problems calling and killing coyotes, Calvin is the first person I call. If I had the other guys numbers, I'd probably call them too.

After talking with Calvin and spending the time to interpret what he has told me, I usually have a pretty good grasp of what I'm doing wrong.

Even if his analysis is that I'm a dipshit and doing things totally bass ackwards.

Q, "morales of a whore", that's some funny shit. I wish the Red River was wide enough to keep 'em out of here!

Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:26 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
PA Hunter, I think you are mostly on the right track and seem like a good enough guy, and you are correct to an extent. I do live in good coyote country and so do most of the others you have mentioned and maybe we do have a distinct numbers advantage over the guys in the east. We are at a disadvantage if you compare our numbers to Texas, where I hear you can call coyotes to squeaky brake drums. On a good day here you can go to Wal-Mart, buy the cheapest call there, take your weapon of choice and find a place to hunt and maybe call a coyote. Maybe kill him, maybe not. We don't always have good days here. The numbers game is great and there are some guys here that can rack them up, but I have just as much respect for an eastern guy that can consistantly handle coyotes, and while I don't know any of them personally, guys like Higgins have seen them and do know them so they are out there. So geography isn't as important as you think.

[ August 17, 2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a statement from an Eastern caller that surprises me.
Why is that? [Confused]
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
I know its not "easy" in the west, or anywhere. Deer hunting in PA is not "easy" either, but the population is here and if you do your homework its not hard to kill one year after year.
It won't be long and you won't hear the east vs. west issues anymore.

TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 08:11 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Message boards are all about sound bites.

I'm an eastern coyote hunter.

The message board sound bite might sound something like this....

"In the last 4 trips we have called 4 coyotes. They're out there, you just have to work to get them. Keep at it."

To the uninitiated that makes me sound like a pretty successful eastern coyote hunter. Or a liar. But for some it could give me instant credability.

The reality

Those 4 trips we called one coyote the first day, none the second, two the third (they came in together) and one the forth.

We actually killed one.

We spent 7 hours hunting the first day, 6 the second, 4 the thrid and about 5 the forth.

22 hours of stands and calling to call in 4, kill one.

So much for knowning what the heck I am doing. Law of averages. Sooner or later you run into a dumb coyote even in the east.

But the sound bite makes it seem a whole lot different. No one knows what I don't tell them. Perception is reality. One of the big downsides to the internet.

On the upside, the more I go after these darn crittes the more I seem to know who to listen to on the internet. It's why I lurk over here.

Al
THO Game Calls

[ August 17, 2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: TheHuntedOne ]

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to post on this.

Killing deer in the east, at least near the metro areas is about like shooting ground squirrels in the west. A single bow hunter for years has had no trouble killing over 40 deer every year on my Fathers 80 acres just outside DC. All legal since deer are mostly in the vermin category. "Rats with hooves" is a normal description of them.

Driving after dark is more life threatening than skydiving. Even in the day you are probably 10 times more likely to hit a deer than another vehicle.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 06:54 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, those Pa. freeways looked like war zones when I was up there two years ago. Driving south from Erie at 11:00 pm just inside the city limits the freeway was reduced to one lane as firemen swept and hosed the remains of a herd of deer that several vehicles had plowed through. Three fire trucks and four ambulances blocked three lanes of traffic and four or five crunched vehicles were pushed/pulled to the side. People were strapped on gurneys waiting to be loaded on the ambulances.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 07:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand, when you live/hunt in areas where they are abundant its not that difficult, Its like deer hunting in PA.

PAyotehunter, I thought it was surprising because most Eastern callers that I talk to know that low densities will adversly affect coyote's security levels, but that pressure is the primary influence. If you come here to the campout in Oct. I will take you to some areas that have lots of coyotes, you will see lots of scat and tracks, and I'm betting that you can't get them to come in to your calls. They are abundant AND difficult. [Smile]
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to come to the campout, but as of right now I don't think I can. The wife wants to go out west somewhere so maybe I could talk her into it. I'm going to Maine and Mexico predator hunting, and about 5 or so hunts in various parts of PA, so I doubt it.
I made an offer on here last year for anyone to come to my camp in PA. That offer is still open, here is a link to more info.
http://huntnpa.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1154635517/0#1

quote:
I will take you to some areas that have lots of coyotes, you will see lots of scat and tracks, and I'm betting that you can't get them to come in to your calls.
You never know, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. [Wink]
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 03:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Mexico are you going to hunt? Targeting anything in particular?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
You will like coyote hunting in Mexico, lots of coyotes, most of whom have never heard a predator call.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not real sure on the particulars yet. I'm going with a friend and what he told me is we will fly into Texas and some agents will pick us up and take us over the boarder. I think its north central, not real far over the line.
I want to call cats and coyotes.

I talked to my wife today about the campout. She won't be able to make it but I think I might have an ok. Would anyone be willing to run me back and forth to the airport and let me tag along with them??

PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2006 11:29 AM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I talked to my wife today about the campout. She won't be able to make it but I think I might have an ok. Would anyone be willing to run me back and forth to the airport and let me tag along with them??
Anyone??
Come on guys I don't smell........that bad.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters