The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Who are We? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who are We?
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The statement about someone "being famous, for being famous" (and moreso, another one I'll quote later) got me to thinking. A lot.

How did I get to be "who I am" on the internet?

I've spent quite a few days looking back over half a dozen websites, trying to understand.

Not to defend Mr Guess, but I wonder if he wanted to be "who he is"?
I certainly know I never wanted to be who I have ended up being (on the predator boards).

I know this wasn't meant to offend (and it didn't), but this isn't how I want to be remembered.

"Krusty is a legend... Noted for being stubborn and not playing well with others when stressed. ...who has never killed a coyote."

I think Mr Higgins said it well... "knowledge, experience and attitude will ultimately decide how you are perceived by whichever group you join."

Another group saw me as;

"I had the priviledge of meeting him at Skaha. He's a good guy."

"Krusty used to be a pillar of this board. ...I think he moved on to other hobbies but as far as I am concerned he has always been stand up."

"I climbed with Jeff, and I'd be more than glad to do so again. ...His skills are on par with the best, and his attitude was awesome..."

I guess it's all about perception.
But I sure find it confusing how wildy these perceptions conflict one another.

Of the three main "criteria" Mr Higgins lists, my attitude seems to be the only thing in my direct control (when I can keep it under control)...
I guess I'll work on that.

Take care,

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Knows what it's all about
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
knowledge, experience and attitude will ultimately decide how you are perceived by whichever group you join."

Curent events might dictate an adendum to that statement.

Please insert Integrity after experience.

Al

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 06:49 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, you are also known for being determined and making a great call or two. I don't know much about you but I've heard nothing but good about your calls and if you've been at this, this long without "killing" a coyote you've got to be determined.

I think the only thing I'm known for on the net is being opinionated. But I guess I earned it!

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 07:04 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
This Mr Guess is a very popular guy. Many post all over the web appear about him. Personally I dont have anything against him, but i did take a shot at him because of his doooo-rag. Looks like he should be in New york City instead of hunting critters.

Me, not much of a killer when it comes to coyotes, every blue moon I will take a crack at them. I have become pretty close to them actually. Just spent a week in the north east studying every move they make with some new friends that have some collard. What eye opening experience it was. Herer are some good picts of some of the guys in the study and one we put in the study.

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 

[ October 01, 2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 07:56 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 

[ October 01, 2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 09:47 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, what beautiful animals. The top pics look just like our Mexican grey Wolves. The bottom one looks like classic c.l.thamnos.
I would very much like to talk to you. Would you mind if I called you?

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 06:20 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Who the heck is c.l.thamnos?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:36 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Canis latrans thamnos

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:46 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my new penname, Rich. "C. L. Thamnos".

Not really. Too much hair on every critter in those pics for any of them to pass as me. [Wink]

And Higgins, is it really a "classic" or are you just saying that? I thought C.l.thamnos
typically had lighter toenails?

(How's that for being a PAK?)

[ October 01, 2006, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an Egyption rulers name.I seen a pyramid dug at the entrance of a den a couple weeks ago.That explains it all! Insurgent coyote!

[ October 01, 2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
They're all insurgents, Melvin. Destroy the insurgency!!!

Back to Krusty's initial question, here's what I have to offer...

Who you are is the sum total of the opinions of those whose paths you've crossed in your time here. Who you are is the impressions you made on others and what they thought (or think) of you. If you will, a twist on the old "if a tree falls in the forest..." quip.

If a man does nothing but evil and causes grief to everyone he ever knew, who will he be when he's gone?

It's a sad, sad thing, but we often don't really get to know who someone is until after they've died and we're afforded the opportunity to share and compare our perspectives with those of our friends, family and the many, many people that we cross wires with in our day to day lives. I was once again reminded of this after my dad's death. So many people with whom to visit about who dad was, what he was all about, and how he made an impact in their lives. I learned things about my dad that I never knew.

Going through his personal belongings and finding things I hadn't seen since I was seven or eight years old, and knowing why dad had put it away for safe keeping. All these things together are "who he was" because the memories are all of him we have left. I've wondered since, many times, how my actions impact those around me - people whith whom I am close, and strangers, too. You never know when the most insignificant action on your part may have a life changing effect on someone you don't even know is watching.

I'm trying to find time to play dolls with my daughter, have real talks with my son, and share the things with my wife that I think about day to day but never take the time to ask her of her opinion. I want to do these things because I want them to know just how important they are to me. Sometimes it's hard to make the change, but I don't want my kids to think of me as the dad who was busy with everything but never had time to play, be silly, just talk, or let a little of himself show so the most important people around him could know him and who he was just a little better.

Any one of us could die tonight. If it was you, who would you be tomorrow?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 04:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Any one of us could die tonight. If it was you, who would you be tomorrow?

Just dust in the wind

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but read what Lance said and it hits very close to home. Believe me, I have had many opportunities to think about stuff I did, and didn't do for my wife. I sure wish I had done a few things differently. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 05:51 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
TA17Rem, that's just the opinion you have of yourself. When you're gone, your opinions of yourself, regardless of how grand or how humble, are gone with you.

It's the opinions of you that the living hold on to that comprises the essence of your legacy. That can never be "just dust".

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 05:57 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't start this thread to elicit praise, not for myself, and most definitely not for my calls.

I did so to "announce" that I had reached a milestone in my life, and that I don't want to be "who I am" anymore.
I hope to become a better "who I am", and I don't think I can do it all by myself... I didn't get to be who I am, by myself, but (as mentioned) I do have to admit to being THE driving force.

Lance,

Thanks for putting this back on track, and for truely understanding where I am coming from.

In the last month, I lost two people very near and dear to me.
Both were extremely sudden, with no time to "brace myself" for it.

It was in considering my own demise, and how different people would "take it", that lead me here (as well as Leonard's statement about people "stepping up to the plate" where needed... this is my "step up", and I think a bunch of us needed it).

I wish you guys knew me for "who I am" in real life, and that when I am gone, that is who I am remembered as instead.
The "eulogy" I got here was a bitter pill indeed, but as this thread proves, maybe it was medicine I needed? Maybe not?

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 06:23 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty you are not the first or last to ever loose a loved one, you need to pick youre self up and shake off the dirt and move on. That is how the ones you lost would want you to do. just go out there and do the best you can and live for the ones who are unable to.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 06:39 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
You know its a funny thing. It kinda makes me sad to think who i will be when im gone. Its scary actualy. You know ive done so many things already in my life of 27 yrs that alot will never do. I rodeoed, roped, faught bulls, played on a tournement stock class paintball team, raced harescrambles on dirt bikes, owned a trukin co, construction co, Making videos, and the list goes on and on. All them things i either did or still do to the best of my ability.

I always wanted to be best or or at least good enough every one to know who i was. But even though i was one of the best a one time at some of those, not a one person in that area will know me now. Just because ive quit doin it.

Alot in the last few months have changed for me. Im going to be a dad, ive met or either got aquainted with new friends,etc. Even though i still want to be the best. Ive come to the realization that being known dont mean shit.
Because you can go ask anyone in any one of those things i listed a year from now if i died tonight and they wont know i was even here or there except for friends. Most of my employees think im a dick head, my wife prolly thinks im a prick, and i dont know what some think of me. But its sacrey for me because the thought of being forgotten is just bothers me.

So i guess after all that mumbo jumbo i just dropped that prolly didnt make any sence, I hope that i am remebered and not forgotten.

quote:
It's the opinions of you that the living hold on to that comprises the essence of your legacy. That can never be "just dust".

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you're seeing it, Steve. (BTW, congrats on the new baby)

When my dad decided to no longer volunteer as a firefighter let alone a chief, we had a good long talk. He was a hard working man. Task oriented. Spent a lot of time working for other people. Always wished he'd had done more for and with us. He told me he came to a conclusion about all those outside "jobs" he was doing, and he realized that you retire from your job, but never from your family and friends.

Leonard-

My dad and I had the chance to talk about his marriage to my mom one night riding home from a K-State basketball game. Like you, he regretted not having done more for her and doing things better. I reminded him that he and she did things to the best of their ability at the time, and how things ended up were because they both wanted to be there at that place and time. She never did or said a thing to show she was ever unhappy. She had a man that loved her til death did they part. That, in and of itself, is hard to come by these days. Nancy was just as lucky.

People who just know you for what you've accomplished will forget you when the next great guy comes along. Your kids will remember you to their dying breath. My kids are the most important job I ever had.

Krusty, I know what you mean. Going around to my landowners has been a challenge this year. Everyone wants to know how we're doing since dad died. It bums me often, but I remind myself that dad taught us how to weather the rough times and if I want to show his legacy, I do best to keep a stiff upper lip. Sorry to hear about your losses.

Just do the best you can and when it's all said and done, people will say you gave it your all, and you were nice to all. Between the two, you'll get past the gates.

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:13 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I rodeoed, roped, faught bulls, played on a tournement stock class paintball team, raced harescrambles on dirt bikes
You've got quite a background of competition. Do you still have the passion for it? If so, have you thought about coyote contests? Agreed, it won't make you "famous", and it damned sure won't make you rich (just ask Leonard). But, like rodeo, you will be pitting what you know and how well you know how to do it, against others with similar skills. Same concept, different arena. And you'll make a lot more "lasting" friendships, too. [Wink]

Not everyone is born with the drive and ambition it takes to compete.

[ October 01, 2006, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations again, Papa Steve. You had better bring pics and cigars to the campout. [Smile]
Krusty, sorry for your loss. I hope you mend soon.

IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:39 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Steve, Jr. is ready to come out of the oven, just yet. The dough is still risin'. [Big Grin]
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:42 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Rich, I wont have pics yet it aint due till april 26th. You know its weird, That felt good typin that. I cant believe im going to be a DAd...But i will bring some cigars. I dont know alot about them so let me know what you like.

Tom, I compete alot. Still play on the tournament team, and Rope a bit. I would love to hunt a contest but there just aint alot around here. Ill have to figure out how to make it happen i guess. That would be a good excitment to win one.

Cdog, Thanks for the congrats.

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish we had contests of the sort in my neck of the woods. Problem is, Texas is 99% private land and most ranchers don't favor contestants shooting on their place. One person at a time is often a different story for sure, but makes for pretty weak competition!

And congratulations in advance Papa Steve!

[ October 01, 2006, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Being well known isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Fifteen years ago, I was pushing myself as hard as I could, with the goal of becoming famous. About the time I became pretty well known, some things happened, I lost some family and then some friends, And then I realized that I didn't know my own children.

So I packed them all up and moved 2,000 miles to the middle of no where.

My family and I have never been closer. Those are the one's who really matter to me, they are the only ones I now want to work hard for. I now put my family first, and life has never been better for us.

Leonard,

Your "Away from my desk" Forum brings a fiery tear to my eye several times each day. I can't bring myself to open it again, but the memories of what you went though pain me, I hope I never have to face what you did. My prayers are that I can be as strong and as dedicated as a husband to Joyce, as you were to Nancy.

I'd like to write more, but at this point, I can't.

Tim

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters