The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Another contest? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Another contest?
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, that coyote was about 5yds away when you took the picture.....

As for how fir away he were when you shot him.... I am going to venture that you pulled the trigger when he was in the neighborhood of 342 yds from the muzzle of your rifle....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 06:50 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, Thanks for the clarification. That enlightens me considerable in the ways of tolling dogs. I will have to stick to my "denning/decoy" dogs. They ride in a dog box and are only allowed after coyotes or there are some severe consiquences. They will make a pass at an occasional rabbit if they aren't worked enough, but they know better and come right back. They will work a coyote back with considerable finesse on most occasions and haven't been accused of running many out of the country. Actually a couple guys here have seen my dogs and might even vouch for me. They actually up my ammo use most of the time. But in the world of coyotes and Higgins, there are no always'.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 08:14 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I remember sitting behind the camera, watching Cal's dogs work and wondering how the hell a man goes about training a dog to do that. One ranges several hundred yards out, looking for all the world like it is just goofing off, instead of on a mission. The other ranges close by. When a coyote shows they both work together. It is a thing of beauty to watch. The long ranging dog will make an oblique pass by a coyote, kinda like Scott does to us on the board, to draw him in. When the coyotes check up the dog makes a studied display of examining a bush or a hole, totally ignoring the coyotes. The dog just piddled around in front of them until they approached again. How the hell do you train a dog to do that?
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah? Well, how did you "teach" Mady to do what she does?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
elpasotbagger
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2004 11:28 PM      Profile for elpasotbagger           Edit/Delete Post 
dam thats ugly.

440 yds

and it was the third shot that hit him.

Tom Bagger

Posts: 18 | From: Ciudad Juarez | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted June 23, 2004 12:06 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
Define the word "vouch" LOL
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 02:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Leonard, I didn't train Mattie to work the coyotes. She is extremely protective of all that she owns and surveys and she prefers not to share any of it with coyotes. She is small enough not be intimidating to most coyotes which also curbs her aggressiveness. All in all it makes for some entertaining video. Whole 'nuther ball game with Cal' dogs. Mine are more like J-H's airedales. From what I hear and see on video and pics his dogs are just big pets that he dearly loves and takes calling with him because they enjoy it so. Same reason I take Phoebe. Mostly they are not an asset on stand but occasionally they will bring in coyotes and elicit behavior that is so spectacular that it pays their way for a while. J-H posted some pics last month of a dust-up between his dogs and several coyotes that to a photographer, are the equivilant of a seven point royal to an elk hunter. When I nail behavior like that on video it keeps me smiling for days.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Vic, You had me worried there for a while.

Of the three digits, you hit two of them right out of the box.

Then you let Dave kick your butt by only one yard!

-

The Answer I was looking for was 727 yards. I held a foot in front of his nose for the wind, and took him right in front of the shoulder.

It was actually the second shot that took him. At that range, my Bushnell YP1000 can't pick up a coyote. I have to range the brush around him. The nearest bush was between us at just over 700 yards. I guessed him to be 50 yards beyond the bush and shot over him. He moved just a little ways, and held up for a second shot. I ranged the brush just to the right of where my wife is standing, and dialed 17 3/4 MOA into the scope. The 25 yard difference in the first and second shots, meant a full Minute of angle for the bullet to hit.

He only moved a couple of yards from the point of impact. Just below my wife's left knee is the place he was standing when I shot. A couple of inches from her toes is where I picked him up.

The Red circle shows where I was sitting. Here is a closer picture.  -

There is a little "cave" there, just big enough to sit back in and stay in the shade until noon if the rabbits are running good. 500 yards directly in front of my hide is a water tank, that tends to be surrounded by Jackrabbits in the mornings and makes for a lot of fun shooting.

The coyote was just a bonus. He showed up looking for the same rabbits I was looking for.

I'll have the wife send a $10 Check in the name of DAA to the Predator Callers Hall of Fame first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your guesses. I may be easily entertained, but this has been great! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 07:30 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you didn't say what caliber you were shooting. 162 grs. would probably be 7MM. Which one?
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. It's a 7mm Remington Magnum, with a 26" barrel and 9.5 twist. The stock is Glass bedded and shot off of a 27"S Harris Bipod, with a leupold 6.5-20X50 scope. The 162 Grain Amax bullets are pushed by 64 grains of H1000 in Norma brass at 2781 FPS.

What did I forget?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you "utilize" it?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted June 23, 2004 08:49 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yeah. I took his picture and raised $10 for the Hall of Fame. What happened to the last coyote you shot? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You got me there pal:) I stand corrected. Honest to christ Tim....its dejavu....I had 727 as my first swag too, no shit.
Pretty fair shooting my friend, I don't believe I can recall shooting anything, that far away. Did it bang/flop, or spin and run?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 04:19 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
It was more of a spin and tip. I heard the hit before I could get him back in the scope. When I did he was spinning and biting at his butt. I thought I hit him too far back at first and worked the bolt. About the time I closed the bolt, the coyote quit spinning for just a second and tipped over dead.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 05:49 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang fine shooting!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 06:40 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
What Dave said. 27 in Harris, does that mean you shot from a sitting position? No way I could do that.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not seeing the pics? As described, I think I know the spot. [Razz] LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 05:13 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

Most of the places I shoot rabbits from are too rocky to shoot prone. The rocks kill your belly and most angles would have something blocking the barrel. I've a couple of places that I shoot from behind a rock in a standing position with the bipod. But most frequently shoot with the bipod extended from a sitting position. I use my left hand on the sling to pull the rifle down and back into my shoulder and it seems to work pretty well for me.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim;

Now that the pictures have arrived... I have to question your original intent....

You took your beautiful wife out into the middle of the desert to sit in a cave like structure in the rocks for the purpose of shooting jack rabbits? Sounds like an excuse to me [Big Grin]

Good shooting...

Sounds like you need a better range finder...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Any time I see tennis shoe foot prints out in the desert, I figure it's a wetback....or Vic!

edit: I don't remember exactly how the subject came up, but Vic told me how he happened to be wearing his teni's in the coyote gods video. Perfectly understandable, and was not his normal hunting costume. Poor guy said he has been hammered pretty bad about those shoes! [Frown]

Good hunting. LB

[ June 25, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
His bright white Nikes are my favorite part of the video (as I count how many paces to the bobcat), along with his stellar call blowing skills! [Smile] LOL

I actually like the video a lot and watch a little bit of it now and then, I rarely have time to watch the whole mini-series in one sitting though.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 14 posted June 26, 2004 08:08 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent shooting Tim. Congrats on thinning the ugly coyote gene pool. The thought of that ugly dude breeding more like him next year gives me bad dreams. LOL!

That would be a tough shot laying down even. Good work!

Take care, Curt

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters