The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Who ya'll be? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Who ya'll be?
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 06:59 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Take heed Scott, predator calling is addicting. I was in your shoes 12 yrs. back -- once it your blood it hunkers down and stays put.

Yes, feral pigs can be called like 99% of all four-leggeds. If you prefer electric, I believe Johnny Stewart has a good piglet distress tape you need to try. If a mouth caller, get the tape and practice emulating the perturbed puny porker. You'll soon be as they say...in hog Heaven.

Catch you outdoors,

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Scott. Glad to have you on board.

I've never tried calling hogs, but have no doubt it can be done.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31532 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
I am 34 years old and have been hunting most of my life. I have 2 kids and a wife that is almost as pretty as me.
I just started coyote hunting not long ago, mostly for something to do when archery season was over. I didn't realize how much it was going to affect me though. After I got my first Kill I couldn't get coyotes out of my head. New calls I need, new places to hunt, new kinds of tactics to use, gotta get a new gun. What the hell happened to me?

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is nice to see some of you lurkers coming out of the shadows. Great bunch of guys here and you don't have to be an expert to pull up a sit down and join right in. You'll soon find out what I said five minutes after getting here for the first time: this site is more cerebral than just about any of them. Not a lot of fluff or oddball forums to get lost in. Just predators. I can bet that there's not a guy here, regardless of years hunting, that hasn't learned something new from the exchange of ideas and information.

Let's hear from a few more of you. Where are the Chinese chicks?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
"Let's hear from a few more of you. Where are the Chinese chicks?"
Lance, if you're looking for coyote recipes there are some in Dobie's book. [Smile]

IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy MR. Tripp

I am Ronnie Robison. Will be 60 in June. Born and raised in Orange TX. I live four miles from the Louisiana border. I am a swamp rat. Got my first Duck and Goose call by age eight. Had my first pirogue at ten to run my trap lines with.

Was lucky enough to work shift work as a machinist for 33 years. This gave me 14 days a month of to hunt, And fish. Also plenty of time to raise and train Chesapeake's, Pointers, And setters for many years.

Started predator calling in 1959. Spent the last 18 years on Lohman's Gold Staff doing videos and trade shows.

I was hit with a rare neuromuscular disease seven years ago. Now I hunt from a bad ass off road wheel chair(Camo of course), And a customized 650 Honda. Now I spend way more time talking the talk rather than walking the walk.

This has to be the best place to talk the talk. There is more talent and skill here than Holley Wood and the NFL combined.

If you are ever headed East on I-10. Stop in Orange and I will hitch you up with a real cup of coffee. Then we will go for a air boat ride with a Chinese girl.

Ronnie

[ April 01, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 10:34 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr., Tripp

I have had "0" luck calling hogs with the JS tape. We produced a baby pig tape under circumstances I can't go into. We then overplayed the sound four times. It will produce a sound that would cause a PETA member to jump into bubbling lava.

I have called around forty Coyotes with both tapes. Four were called to within seven yards. I have yet to have a hog come in.

I am very open to suggestions, As I am trying to deal with a bad Hog problem now.

Ronnie

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"It will produce a sound that would cause a PETA member to jump into bubbling lava."

If that's the case, you need to be promoting this tape and get as many copies out there as possible.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I, like Ronnie, am very interested too. I have shot a number of hogs in Texas and know quite a few guides. Between all of us, we've never called any hogs in no matter what the sound. Many times they never even look towards the sound because they seem to have tunnel-vision in getting to where they were origonally headed.

One call I haven't tried yet is the Feeder Repeater call. Seems like that would work. We thought we called some in one time but discovered that we were directly in between them and a corn feeder. We were fairly proud of ourselves until were heard the feeder sound off behind us.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScottD
Member # 244

Icon 10 posted April 05, 2005 06:48 AM      Profile for ScottD   Email ScottD         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy All!

My name is Scott Davidson, and although I've lurked here for quite some time, this is my first post...I think. I'm 50, live in New Waverly, Texas, and have hunted for about 45 of my 50 years.

The recent post on calling hogs has brought me out of the closet. I deal with problem hogs all year long, and hitched my pony to the hog-calling wagon a few years ago. Since then, I've managed to call exactly ZERO hogs. And I've got quite a library of "hog-calling" sounds. The JS Piglett in Distress works great on coyotes, slightly less so on cats, but I have never managed to call a hog, despite actually calling to a hog I could SEE on a couple of occasions.

I'm dealing with some troublesome hogs now. I'd sure like to know how to call 'em.

Please share your secret.

Thanks,
ScottD

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 07:08 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott, good to see here. I hope you contribute often. Ronnie told me about the hog problem.
ScottD
Member # 244

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 07:43 AM      Profile for ScottD   Email ScottD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich!

Thanks, and good to be here. Ronnie and I are supposed to team up on 'em in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll know how to call 'em by then. [Smile]

ScottD

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the reed from any open reed caller, purse lips, and squeel..."Heeeeeeeeerre, piggy, piggy, piggy, piggy!" Repeat every 2-3 min. Get camoed, and sit down wind. Oh, don't forget the Satan Cap ooops, I mean the Santa Cap. [Wink]

[ April 05, 2005, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 
Been trapping solo since age 10;been in predator control since 84;still trap/call multi species,but about 80% is yotes.

Edge

I was referred her,but I was already registered.Cant for the life of me remember the name of the guy that referred me.

Posts: 18 | From: Iron County, UT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Edge. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott; My best hog calling device was a metal bucket with some ears of corn broken in half....

stand out and rattle it and they came a running...

it may not work in the wild though....

if you can get close... the javelina call sure works on these desert rats... not sure if it would work on actual pigs or not...

Good luck....

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 
**Cant for the life of me remember the name of the guy that referred me. **

Steve Craig.

How embarassing........but man,I had a brainlock.

Thanks for the welcome.

Edge

Posts: 18 | From: Iron County, UT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Eddie Hawkins Im 34 Im a mailman in Tucson been calling for 6 years was hooked on my first ever stand have given up all other hobbies for my addiction. Im still learning but have come a long way Im already looking forward to next season cant wait for the chance to hunt with some of these guys at the next Huntmasters hunt.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert_L
PAKMAN
Member # 281

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Robert_L   Email Robert_L         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,
Another long time lurker rearing his not so pretty head. Yep decided to come out of the closet.

Anyway, I am a stay at home dad for the time being. My wife and I decided to adopt twin 18 month old girls last July and believe you me my life has changed (sheesh that's alotta work for a 47 year old man). I live on the wet side here in OR. and am trying to call in my first cougar and bear.

Originally from Nebraska (where I have actually called in coyotes) I have worked in 21 or 22 different states, most with a hardhat on(millwright). Before that I worked close to 5 years for a major bullet manufacturer. Bought my first set of reloading dies for a .257 Rbt's at the grand ol age of 15 and never looked back.

Enough from me,
Robert
PS great site.

Posts: 1 | From: MP Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Robert_L. Glad to have you on board. So, far, you hold the undisputed record for waiting between registration and making your first post! See, wasn't so bad, was it? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 06:26 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr. Tripp

I'm Sheri Baity, not your typical slutty lesbian or your basic chinese girl although I do highly recommend you take the air boat ride with Ronnie. I'm just your plain ole wannabe, since I haven't figured out what I wannabe when I grow up.

I've been hunting the two legged coyote all of my soon to be 43 years of life. Back in the 90's I finally realized that my success rate was extremely low and they were no fun or challenge to catch and I spent way more time releasing than keeping. All they wanted to do was drool all over ya, hump your leg and responded to a simple call of cracking open a beer bottle, not to mention that they dribbled on the toilet seat and didn't flush the toilet and expected me to buy them dinner.

Then I started chasing the four legged coyote and my life has never been the same again. They are a little more of a challenge, quite rewarding when you do get them. Come home when you tell them they are coming with you with whispers from my 243. They don't drink your coffee, eat your food or steal the covers and pillows. It has been wedded bliss ever since.

Success has been not bad for an eastern coyote hunter. I've dabbled in a lil writing from time to time. I'm currently on field staff for Lohman, going around blowing my calls, giving coyote hunting seminars and still get plenty of responses from the two legged coyotes as well.

I'm a mother and a grandmother, two of my best moments in this lifetime.

Fly Crow Fly

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2005 05:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp, meet Sheri. She's usually not this shy. [Smile]
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2005 07:11 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScottD
Member # 244

Icon 5 posted April 13, 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for ScottD   Email ScottD         Edit/Delete Post 
What happened to Mr. Tripp on this thread? I was waiting with bait-like breath to get some info on calling hogs.

ScottD

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 11:40 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, You and I have been in the dark on this subject. Looks like we are going to stay that way till someone Tripp's the light, are lights the Tripp.

Ronnie

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters