The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » C abela's---- Anti trapping??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: C abela's---- Anti trapping???
Lungbuster
Knows what it's all about
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
Please excuse me for being a "dumb ass back East".
But what is 1080?

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
a very effective poison.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
1080 was developed by the U.S. armed forces as a rodenticide against rats in Burma,
China, and Indochina. Chemically known as sodium monofluroacetate, 1080 was so
named because it was the one-thousand-eightieth in a series of formula modifications that
the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service had tried in readapting the compound for use as a
predator control agent. In practice, preparation of a 1080 bait station usually involved
shooting an old or wild horse, mule or burro. Just before killing the station animal, a
Morton Meat Gun containing 1080 was readied. As the animal fell, it was deeply injected
in several places while the carcass was still at normal body temperature. Capillary action
circulated the lethal compound throught the meat. If proper techniques were followed, all
segments of the treated carcass were fatal to canines. Portions of the carcass, well
anchored to avoid scattering, were then distributed on a selected canine run.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad has told me about when 1080 was used in this area. Ranchers would donate an old work horse and a government guy would inject the meat as Rob described. Everyone in the area was told to keep their stock dogs tied up for a few days if they wanted to keep them alive. Dad said Ol'Shep snuck underneath the jeep pickup the meat was loaded on and snuck a couple of licks before anyone saw him. A couple of licks of 1080 laced meat was all it took to kill Ol'Shep several hours later. From the description the stuff is damn lethal and has far reaching effects. Even magpies that picked at what a coyote barfed out would be dead on the spot.

They used 1080 in the chicken house to control rats. After one use they didn't have a rat problem for years afterward.

One old rancher who lived to be damn near 100 years old was so impressed with the stuff he got the Idaho license plate "I 1080". He had that plate for many years until he died a few years ago.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the new World. Cabalas wants to see more stuff like this. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc/research/predation/index.html
Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Barndog,I know where they can shove that at to! Up there ***,If they got one?
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters