The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Use of the word YOTE (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Use of the word YOTE
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

I've raised chickens most of my life. I've a few other words for those hawks and owls, but I'm not supposed to say them in public. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance

Is there any truth in the rumors about them **** owls, doing the chickens after dark? [Wink]

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 12:36 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this is getting interesting.."Owls doing chickens"?..I can see it Now!-Cross a screech owl with a chicken and the peeps would all be scroosters and screns!!
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 6 posted June 10, 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim, do you call them Arm-ahh-dillo or Dillo or arm-eee-dillos or what?
Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Utahcaller
PAKMAN
Member # 671

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Utahcaller           Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Q,
If you put alot of time in the field learning by experience(not by watching all the latest DVD's on calling,even though some are very entertaining.Or using all the latest gadgets "guaranteed" to make you a better caller).But instead use Hand calls,Carharts,and good shot placement.You will kill all the coyotes(Ki-yotes)you can shoot at. [Wink] GOOD HUNTING C.O

Posts: 4 | From: Utah | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 03:49 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, I couldn't agree with you more about "chicken hawk", lol. With more than 30 years of falconry under my belt, it still grates me when I hear that term. [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 04:34 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

I honestly don't know, but it's been my experience that an adult great horned owl is akin to a wolverine with wings. Therefore, if such things are occuring after dark, I not going out there. Then again, my studies involved social imprinting in nestling great horned owls, which may sound somewhat benign, but it's essentially an irreversible process by which an animal, i.e., great horned owls, imprint as to what they are, ergo what they are attracted to come breeding age. The birds I've handled have been imprinted, intentionally and accidentally, on a wide array of non-owl species.

As far as the owl X chicken issue goes, I can hear it now the next time my wife serves up that delicious cheesy chicken breast recipe she makes...

"Hey kids, check out mama's hooters!".. SLAP!!!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
CDOG, I was thinking something very similar. [Wink]
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
I also "turn my backside" to any conversation regarding the species when it is addressed as anything other than CANIS LATRANS THAMNOS.( Thats when I'm huntin' in the NE part of the state.) Or, CANIS LATRANS LATRANS, when I'm huntin' in the remainder of the state.
A lot of the times, when I don't really know where I am, or can't remember how I got there, and I happen to kill a critter or three, I'll just call em' "Coyotuses"!! That seems to be appropriate and induces the thought of " Where in the hell is that guy from". [Confused]
But never,never YOTE, or YOTIE.
Even typing "yote" makes me want to go to the bathroom. [Razz]
Bye now.
John

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 

As far as Coy-0-tee’s go…..well the only people I know that pronounce it that way is east of the river. I guess if they haven’t figured out how to call and kill them with any regularity we shouldn’t expect them to pronounce it in the proper “western” fashion either. He he he.

Funny thing...I lived on both sides of the river and heard that word used on both sides...To me that sounds more like the drawn out southern accent in the south east.

Personaly i don't give a good bowel movement what you call him...As long as i get to hunt them. [Razz]

stubbicatt
PAKMAN
Member # 669

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for stubbicatt           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it *really* bother you fellas *that* much what people call a coyote? Jees!

For myself only, I only have to do a double take when someone calls a coyote a "yote", before I understand what they are speaking of. But then I've heard old timers around here call the puragtoire river the "picket wire" and pueblo, colorado, "pee-eh-blo." So I guess I find it easier to smile and nod and accept folks and their ways than it is to get all rankled over something so silly as local dialect or inflection.

But then I guess I'd rather be happy than angry...

Regards,
Stubb

--------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Posts: 2 | From: Colorado Springs, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, stubbicatt. Glad to have you on board.

quote:
Does it *really* bother you fellas *that* much what people call a coyote? Jees!

I'm guessing that the answer is that it does not *really* bother anybody *that much*? Speaking for myself, I would not bother correcting anyone; I just have a preference, in my own speech and the words I use, online.

But, words can be very important. You have to be careful about calling someone an a$$hole or bastard. Doesn't *really* bother me that much, but some for some people, they are fighting words.

This is just conversation, I doubt that anyone will be writing their congressman, complaining about "silly" things such as the pronunciation of the puragtoire river, or using the proper name for a coyote. This is just conversation.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31520 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 07:16 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple more "titles/name's" for coyotes I've used....ie; Buzz-saw & Kick-A$$. As they are worthy of such honorable mention. When fighting a pack of dogs, for their life.
---------------
Leonard,

You make a good diplomat [Big Grin]

[ June 11, 2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lantris Stupidicous

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
"three sylables, two sylables..."

My person favorite is the old Colorado rancher, plural, one syllable version... Kautz ! (Well, that's how its pronounced anyway) or maybe better described as sounding like Cowtz. [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 11:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use that version, Danny. But, I really like your friend's pronunciation, has a real down home flavor to it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 06:37 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
With apologies to Bekoff & Wells;

"The effects of yodel-dog predation on domestic sheep are less clear-cut, which brings us to a more controversial aspect of song-dog biology, namely the management and control of 'yotes."

Nah.....It just doesn't 'work'.

And what about my all time favorite, God's Dog??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7611 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 07:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
'pelli, I like your twist on Bekoff. I don't know of anyone referring to them as God's dog other than the Navajo and Hope Ryden.
Perhaps 'dogs, 'gitter, and 'leg could shed some light. Probably 'bicatt could as well. [Smile]

[ June 13, 2005, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I got back yesterday from a little hunting trip and I'll relate it to you guys like I see some stories typed in other places.
I headed out from the house at 3 am Friday morning to get some of them sheep eaters. I headed down to a sheep ranch, got there at about 5 am. I got to where I wanted to be to get them dogs to sing and did a little locatin. Sure enough, I got some to yodel back at me. So I heads in there and gets set up. I did a little callin and sure enough I gets 3 of the suckers a comin to my dogs. My dogs is workin them dogs great, and I pick out the wet one and fires a rocket her way. That yodel bitch cratered as if struck by lightning. The other yotes head out, but I figure they'll be back, and sure enough I finally gets that old dog yote back to about 300 and gives him a charge, but I misses that yodeler. Shot right over his back. But I go find his little yodelers and give them some bad air to breathe. I cut my girlie yote open and see that she's had 8 of them calve eatin buggers.
That evening I goes to another spot where the airplane had been in the AM, and they had killed a yote there, but didn't know how many of the lamb snatchers was left. Well lucky me, I blunders in there and finds me the girl yotee, and she finds my dogs. She fought like the true antelope eater she was, but I puts a bullet where it counts and her grouse eatin days is over. So I walks a draw or two and finds her little grouse eaters and they get the "treatment". I goes back and does some surgery, to see what my body count is and I get to count 7 more of the rooster robbers.
Next morning I head out to locate some more yotes. But I have aerial back up. I get some more of them yodelers to sing and I call in air support. The plane comes in, and they can see the hole they call home but they can't see the old song dogs, so they go look for other targets of opportunity. I give them yoters about 30 minutes to cool off, and walk in with my doggies. I find the spot I want and scream a little hurt puppy blues. It don't take long for them rabbit chokers to show. I got three of them rounded up and my dogs toll them to oblivion. I shot the one with the mammary attachments on the underside first and then cleaned up 2 with cajones. I am sitting right on the little lamb eaters holes so it don't take long to make them wish that Smokey would show up and put the fires out. Once again I pulls my Bowie and counts purple spots of 6. So 9 more song singers have went to lamb grabber heaven.
I wait until the coolnes of evening and head to a spot I had heard some singing while I was doing my morning workout. I go to where I think them rat tailed yodelers are, and I end up being pretty close to the place them calf killers are calling home. I get three of them dirty chicken theives in and shoot the Alpha and blow his heart across the sage. I know it was the Alpha cause he had the biggest balls. Then the Beta and Omega head out, but I know I'm in the core of their home territory, so they'll be back. I wait a while and since they don't show I go find the exact center of their core territory and put my feet in it and give them some of the subordinate puppy choking song. That brings the Beta with the titties back in a hurry and I end her Meadowlark eating. The Omega is a no show so I whip out my pig sticker and count subordinate puppy spots again for another 6 prairie wolves for the count. I'm sitting on the den and have a smoke, (actually, they had the smoke) and then head for the truck for a cool beer and a long drive home. Two days and 34 yotees later.

This story is true, and just written for fun, no offense meant to anyone. Hope you guys find some humor in it! I call them coyotes and thats about it. I really don't much care what anyone else calls them, but I personally don't get off on the nicknames.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,...Good story that they all can relate to...But you left out the bush wolf.LOL

Rich,I'm anxious to find out how long i would have to set on the stand untill the coyote comes in and check for my scent, and i'm wondering how long our scent would linger there?

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 09:09 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, that really was very good. I'm going to send it over to Paul Wait. I know he probably couldn't use it , offensive to part of their readership, but who knows?
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a reaction, but I'm not sure what the moral is? On the one hand, it demonstrates a creative use of verbage. On the other, it does convey a macho image, intentional, or not?

I suppose we (also) are guilty of using words and phrases in a recognizable pattern? Whatever? It does show me why I continue to use the words I use, in all forms of communication.

Intersting post, Cal. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote, "On the other, it does convey a macho image, intentional, or not?"

And what's wrong with a "macho image"? Would you prefer a "feminine image"? Or just the basic "Hollywood Politically Correct" image?

(just bustin' yer balls LB) [Big Grin]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrr.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just having a little fun with phrases I've heard. I imagine Paul could use it for a humor section if they develop one. I am glad it was at least thought of as masculine!
Next trip maybe I can do my story in politically correct form. As I re-read that one it kind of struck me as south or south eastern redneck except for the Alpha/Omega part. I can't believe I missed out on bush wolf. I tried to get every off breed name I had heard in there somewhere. But since I use dogs to hunt dogs, I even got confused a time or two.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters