The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old subject, new article. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Old subject, new article.
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 06:09 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
The topic & discussion's of coywolf & coydog is an old one. I've seen one wolfdog, it was a co-worker's pet{ 1/2 Malamute & Grey Wolf, he was around 100lbs or better{looked mostly wolf, to me}.

Out hunting, over the yrs. I've seen a handfull, of canines, that appeared to be mixed with coyote & something else...I don't know.

Every one of them were on the large or very large size. They each looked different, but also had some similiar physical features & behaviors.

I've shared these stories with many people {coyote-hunters} mostly. Funny thing is, most... IMO don't or didn't believe me. Mostly their opinions were/are based on a coyote's breeding cycles & the general understanding that a dog tame/feral will not help rear the young. To name a few.

I don't buy into that personally, but anywho. I also don't believe these canines I saw in the wild, were once someone's pet. I surmise that people don't have all of the facts of whats really going on. Between feral dogs, coyotes & wolves.

Unless, of course...you know a coyguy or wolfman. Who could fill us all in.

[ July 05, 2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I am not well read in this subject and can't say that I really want to be. But my common sense tells me if they are hybrids, where are the parents? Why aren't people catching or calling regular size coyotes and normal looking wolves?
Are you trying to say if a coyote is bigger than most, that coyote must have a little wolf dna in there somewhere?

Do know one thing for sure. It ain't evolution.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I respect your opinion (just don’t agree with it)
CBGC

Yes, I know how you feel, and I feel exactly the same.

I believe this. If there was a big important court case; we WOULD see some well regarded expert dispute the findings of another well regarded, and perhaps higher paid, expert.

It has nothing to do with parentage. I firmly believe that all three species can interbreed, to a certain extent, under certain conditions.

Specifically. I do not believe that they can take an unknown animal and test the DNA, and "prove" that the animal is a hybred.

I am a diehard skeptic.

Good hunting. LB

[ July 05, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 07:13 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw,

If your talking to me. No, not saying that a 100%. I'm talking mostly of different shaped head, ears, muzzle, & tails. But mostly the entire head. But size in itself is interesting.

What are the odds, say of a purebred coyote{play along, on this one}. Not completely resembling a coyote & say, it weighs 60-70lbs, or even 50-60lbs. What exactly is it?? Why does it look different? ,ect ,ect.

I've seen roughly 600 coyotes give or take, over the yrs. I don't know what these things were.

R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 07:22 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I was not addressing anyone in particular. You meaning everyone in general.

Randy

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you 'splain this one?

-

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted July 05, 2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, Weekend at Bernie's. Live coydog, dead evil twin.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks to have some sheep in it [Smile] ...Sorta looks a little like,Jimmy Durante

[ July 05, 2005, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 02:34 AM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I am glad you R a die hard skeptic, too many people just jump on the band wagon (boring).
Jay watched your video the other day, not too sure about some of the music and dancing but the footage and knowledge was awesome. Waiting to get a glimpse of the Higgins video???

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 03:59 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Narrow, uterous opening. Or coydashound [Big Grin] .
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the words GBGC. It was a fun challenge making that video. One thing that I have noticed since making it is that I am seeing the word "Behavior" in all the videos now. Not saying I was first, but sure seems to be a buzzword lately. Have considered making one about Hunter Behavior and having the coyotes do all the dancing.

Funny thing about every time I see the word "Knowledge". I think back to the Cornhuskers College Football Team and the fellow that once told me that the "N" on their helmets stood for "knowledge". That was a cheap shot and I'm sorry. I promise I'll only tell that joke a few hundred more times because it still makes me laugh.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 11:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, made me chuckle, too. Jay, you are a sick man. Hey, enjoyed our conversation, this morning. Thanks, LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Which one is the wolf???? They are not my pics but I thought they were pretty cool.

-

-

-

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
1 st is a yote
2 nd is a wolf
3 rd is a wolf ?????

--------------------

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
How about this one?

-

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Coyote
2. Wolf
3. Coyote
4. Coyote

I say 2 is because it has a lot more leg under it than the other. Just a WAG.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 06:12 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Wolf eyes always seem more intense and alert. Just a personal observation.

1 Coyote
2 Wolf
3 Coyote
4 Coyote

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
All coyotes.

Randy

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 07:34 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
all coyotes

What size of trap?

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess on the trap is #3 os Bridger

Randy

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw and albert are correct....All coyotes, With a little red wolf DNA thrown in for good measure.. [Big Grin]
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
1 out 3 is not all that bad. Glad I dont make a liven at this. Still think 2 is a wolf?????

--------------------

Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Zaggers NY coyotes every one. Look at the feet people! Wolves have big feet. Big coyotes have small feet! A wolf foot would fill that #3 Bridger trap, and be overflowing.
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 06:59 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I can't 'splain that thing in the first photo. I can explain the coyote though.
IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 09:51 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Mr Craig. The first one, and the third one especially look like the typical coyote seen here in New Hampshire. Bigger body, neck with a smaller head, and more rounded, shorter ears. Exact coloration of most of them also.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters