The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coming to the Call Volume III (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Coming to the Call Volume III
Noel Brandon
Knows what it's all about
Member # 697

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Noel Brandon           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked here from time to time. Trying to pick up a few pearls of wisdom. There is no doubt a wealth of knowledge and expierence here amoungst you all. I try to soak up as much as I can. I enjoy the bantor and straight shooting here. I probably won't have to much to contribute, other than occasional story, or a question. But I'll be listening and learning. Thanks Noel
Posts: 21 | From: Renton WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The deer whistles worked with mixed results, motorcyclists around here tried and tested them pretty thoroughly, myself included (a couple near misses with a deer, on a motorcycle, and you'll try anything).

Positioning them in "clean air" seemed critical, as did having a pair of them (once one was lost effectiveness dropped dramtically).
It would be hard to mount them on a car, in a place they'd work.

Some deer would look up as you approached, some fleeing and some running right in your way, and some just standing there watching you go by instead of continuing to feed.
The deer that did seem to react, appeared to do so in more of a panic, many bounding off while you were still a couple hundred yards away.

I am not sure this improved my safety, deer are much easier to miss if they are standing calmly on the side of the road.

I still see 'em at the motorcycle shop, and stuck on bikes, so somebody is still buying into the idea.

Noel,

Good to see you 'round here.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about the deer whistles, but a couple of years ago I 'owed a good one' to a co-worker. I took an old harmonica and crazy glued it up in his wheel well. It must have worked; the next day he thought every bearing in his front end was going out.
Might even work for deer.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli. Thank you, Thank you, I thought I knew all the tricks. I love that one. Already have someone in mind to listen to harmonica bearings next week. I owe you one buddy.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Varmint Hunter;
No charge!!!
That one started with a guy leaving a small puddle of coolant where I'd be sure to see it, under my engine each morning. Ok, a leak. No big deal. All I had to do was find the leak....

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, me too! And the selection is endless. New years noisemakers, kazoos, etc. I just need to crawl under ***'s truck, some night. Even cheap magnets might help to keep them in barely visible locations? I think I could tie one of those blue Walmart plastic bags in some place where it would rattle like crazy and be hard to see. Now, how could I pop his hood and drop some red food dye in his windshield washers? I will come up with something cute and funny, haha.

Good hunting. LB

good one, koko, one quart of oil dumped in the location of his rear main would have him checking his oil for a month.

[ September 03, 2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
"O the evil men seek to do". I love it.

--------------------

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Noel.

Bought a set of Deer Whistles for my father-in-law 8 years ago and one week later he scored a deer and to celebrate be bought a new hood, fender and bumper. Over the years he has taken more deer with his Pontiac than I have with a gun. Every year he asks me if I want to borrow his Pontic to go deer hunting. LOL

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,i know how you can get him back..Smear some limburger cheese on his engine. [Big Grin]
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't want to do that Melvin.
I live with his daughter.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
OH MY!..I don't want to cause a family feud!That could cause more stink than the limburger cheese! [Eek!]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, High Plains chunk bait on his exhaust manifolds....now how do I get in the engine compartment? Wait 'til Higgins gets him drunk?

Ah, to sleep, perchance to dream.....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 08:14 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, you really don't need to get into the engine compartment. Lay a twelve inch strip of heat duct tape face up, dump a box of small pistol primers on it and smooth them out. Slide under the vehicle and carefully, gently, lovingly place the tape on top of the catalytic converter under the heat shield. [Smile]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't I use MAG small rifle primers? Can they lift fingerprints from that duct tape?

Thanks, I have work to do! Planning is half the fun.

BTW, very early A.M. Thursday morning, vicinity of southwestern Arizona. I got out of the truck and walked to the tailgate, wearing thong sandals, stepping on a fire ant hole and barely missing a huge scorpion. Wow! Now, in addition to a black and blue bicep, I have all these red hot spots on my right foot and ankle. Arizona dove hunting is becoming quite an ordeal. Then there was the uniformed dipshit in the "stop game poaching" truck watching everybody with binoculars, all morning. Enforcement was obvious and irksome.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 10:57 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Small pistol primers detonate at a lower temp.

We were out yesterday. Dove hunters at a couple of tanks. No uniforms. Must all be down in sw corner watching the suspicious Californians.....

F&G published a list of most painful insect bites.... Tarantula wasp was #1, Harvester Ant was #2, scorpion was #5. (Don't tell Tyler that, he was nailed on the index finger last Mon. and he thought he was going to die.) Fire Ants weren't on the list.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Then they must have been harvester ants? I didn't check IDs in the dark. Yeah, that's about par for the course, monitor the suspicious Californians while the locals shoot past noon.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich. If fire ants get on the list. They will kill everyting else on the list.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 03:10 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie, we have fire ants here. I certainly wouldn't want to be staked out over them. We have a mound of them out back and they will do well until the harvester ants decide to do something about them. Harvesters are big black ants twice the size of fire ants. When they bite me I get a blood blister like thing the size of a half dollar around the bite. They are the reason I carry a bite kit and "Stingese" with me. I've been nailed by scorpions 3 times this year alone. I wouldn't trade three scorpion stings for one harvester bite.
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Between the Rattle snakes, Scorpions, and Harvester ants. I think I will just stay here with my "Eastern Coyotes".

--------------------

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 10:49 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Byron,i got your video this morning..I think it is one darn good video and money well spent for it!..I think if the eastern hunters want to see how to hunt the thick stuff,that is the video to see!..It surprised me to see how the cover there,looked so much like here,in Pa.and many of the other eastern states as well..I have to admit,it was much better than i expected..I liked the blooper section to..You sure know how to move fast when things get booming [Smile]
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 06:43 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Melvin. Glad you enjoyed the DVD.

I get that alot over this video. My adress throws people off. Most assume Texas is all wide open desert or mesquite. I have hunted a few states back East (includeing PA) and the terrain hear where I live (as you noticed) is much the same. Coyotes hear are much the same as well. The human populations, hunter pressure, small tracts of land, lower coyote numbers, and lots of easy prey species add up to make it tough. I sometimes wish calling coyotes here was as easy as people assume, but then where would the challenge be.

Again, glad you enjoyed the DVD.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 12:56 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Byron, I enjoyed it as well. The episode at the pond with the fox was particularly fun. Reminded me a lot of the manipulations Rich and Tyler put coyotes through, lol. Good vid. [Cool]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 05:05 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Byron, I played #3 for friends this weekend, also. They cracked up at the machine gun fire on the missed shot, lol. That touch wasn't inspired by ***, was it? [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Machine gun fire, eh? *** did it first, no doubt about it. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 12:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
In his first video Tyler finished off his "mortar coyote" with machine gun fire. Many of you have it from 3-4 years ago.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters