The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » ATA Convention (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ATA Convention
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
The wording was put into Mo.'s Cable Restraint law as:

"A lock is considered a relaxing lock when the lock stops tightening when the animal stops pulling".

Best defintion I ever saw!

Essentially, any lock is a relaxing lock under this definition.

This wording was submitted by my good friend Robert Waddel, also one of the best trappers and snaremen in the USA.

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
So there is a lock that tightens when the animal is not pulling?

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 04:07 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Some snare makers have taken to putting a small spring between the end of the cable and the cam lock. It's totally unnecessary, but it makes their snares look different and helps them to sell more snares.

Ram snares use a modified spring off of a 330 conibear to choke down the animal with no entanglement needed.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jack, there certainly is.
It is those choke springs that Tim eluded too.

The Choke springs provide very good tention right at the lock so when the animal quits pulling, the spring keeps whatever poundage of tention the animal stopped pulling at, right on that lock, giving a VERY quick death to the animal.It is the same principle as the Ram Power Snare gives except it does it with a much smaller spring.

Mary Senniker from Canada makes a kill spring(called a Stinger) that will kill a coyote so fast that they do not even tear up the set area. In fact many times, you can reuse the same snare! The biggest advantage to the Kill Springs is you can use a much smaller diameter snare cable and still kill the coyote without him chewing out of the cable.
Marty uses all 1/16 1x19 cable for most all his coyote work know.
I have tried his springs with 3/64 and they dont chew out of that either, as they are dead too fast to chew.
If you live in a state or trap in one that requires relaxing locks, you had better be using 3/32 or even 1/8 cable for your snaring, cause they will chew out of the smaller diameter cable in minutes, with relaxing locks.
I am curently using a new snare lock, that will replace all my camlocks, I love it so far, and it locks as good as a cam yet is VERY low visability. The Camlock is a very high visablity lock.

If you want to kill a coyote quick, 1/19 5/64 or 1/16 cable with a BAD and a good 50# Kill Spring, is the finest set up you could ever use.
For live snaring or any snare that you have to use a so-called relaxing lock, I prefer the 1/8 cable with a BAD and/or a Stop Button at the 8 inch mark will allow you to hold your coyotes for a long time alive, yet release all your deer,cows, horses, etc.

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
interesting I am gonna take a Cable Restraint course (politically correct term in pa for a snare) in a few weeks if I do not get something heavy enough the animal has a chance to actually chew the wire through?
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
ben,
I've snared alot of coyotes, with 3/32 cable, and a so-called relaxing washer lock,on a 24 hour check, and came back to an empty snare which the coyote simply pulled backwards, which allowed the cable to be right beside his mouth and he simply chewed it in two. Have NEVER had a coyote chew 1/8 cable in half.
If you have alot of entanglement, and can get the coyotes front feet OFF the ground by using a high tie or a kill pole, they will be dead even in a cable restraint, unless you are using a stop button.
If using a button, be prepared for alot of "water heads".
In the same vein, I have held alot of coyotes in 5/64 cable, still alive with no chew outs. But to be safe, go to 1/8 on all your cable rstraints and live snares.
If you have to use a washer lock, use one of the Riechart Locks, or what I call the Pavek lock as Leonard Pavek first wrote about it. It is the best washer lock out there.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben,

If it's legal, you can use 1/16" cable with a cam lock and not worry about pull outs, or chew outs. Even washer locks will work, IF you can get the coyote tangled up quickly.

The smaller the cable, the less you have to worry about a coyote spooking and walking around a snare.

If you decide to dye your snares to help them blend in, be sure not to dye more than you can use that season. They will rust up and be worthless by the next season.

The trick to quick kills with a snare is to tie high, and use something to tangle the coyote up. If you don't have much brush at the site, you can make a kill pole with a 5' piece of 3/4" rebar. Just weld some foot long 1/4" rebar to it in "T" fashion every foot or so, then drive it a foot to a foot and a half into the ground. Tie to the top of the pole and bring cutters when you come back to check it.

NEVER tie a snare to the top of a fence post, if you value the fence! In the three minutes it take to choke down a coyote, he can crunch a 5' fence into a 4" bundle.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
" If you decide to dye your snares to help them blend in, be sure not to dye more than you can use that season. They will rust up and be worthless by the next season."

Tim,
Where you been for these many years? The new 1x19 Galvanized cable does not rust like the Thompson Steel cable used to.
I have built literally thousands of snares out of the Galvanized 7x7, 1x19, and 7x19, and have yet to have a snare rust on me after boiling them in Baking soda. I still have snares that I built over 30+ years ago, boiled in soda, that are still hanging in my fur shed there in Indiana, that look like I just took them out of the boiling pot.
These days, I dip all my snares in Formula 1, after boiling the oil off them, or I spray paint them to match the areas I snare. One color does not work for the different states I snare in each year. What works for me in Kansas doesnt work in Indiana or Texas or NM for that matter.
F1 makes them VERY fast, and totally odorless.

I have seen where guys will soak their snares in vinegar and it will remove some of the zinc coating on the cable and they will start rusting almost imediately. I do not use vinegar for this reason.

Ben,
Boil them in baking soda and water for 20 minute, with about 3 tablespoons of soda to a gallon of water and you will not have any problems with rusting etc., and your snares will be odor free as well. Then spray paint them or dip them and let them air out for a couple of days and you are good to go.
FWIW

--------------------

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 04:40 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info. we are not allowed to set a cable restraint anywhere it might get tangled up. plus it cannot lock. there is more to it but I have not taken the course yet. I will definently get the thicker cable by hearin what you guys are saying. i have a place that is a clear cut. it is thick and I know that canines are using it for shelter. but I cannot hunt it because it is beside my uncles house and he has too much activity up and down his drive. but they cross it redily all the time.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 05:03 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Steve, it must suck to be so busy each year, running snare lines in all of those places plus you guide service and then finding time to scout for and call up all of those lions.

Actually, I gave up dying my snares years ago, as I found it a complete waste of time. ( Kind of like waxing a trap ) I only mentioned it because most of the older snaring book recommend it, and I'd hate to see a guy buy and die a two years supply and then have to throw half of them away.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Steve Craig
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope,
It dont suck, but it gets a little hectic at times.
This year, I am totally booked up to winter 2008.
Cant take anymore bookings. No time slots left.

The snaring video is the really time consooming part.
Bob Wendt and I are doing 3 states this year alone.
Good organization is what makes everything run smoothly.
Plus I started another Chapter of the FTA here in AZ.
I must be crazy, huh?

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 06:52 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes] Wow, I've got to watch myself. I can see how this "hobby" could quickly turn into an obsession. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this mental image of a political cartoon style of Tom, with his Hornet laying on the truck seat, well abandoned with cobwebs growing all over it, and there's Tom, hunched over a million prairie dog holes setting snares! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 08:43 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't laugh, I will be trying that. This is going to be so much fun. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters