The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Anyone smoking any GOOD cigars lately? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone smoking any GOOD cigars lately?
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 06:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Canine, I'd have to say that yes, for me at least, cigar smoking is something that kinda did come with age.

And for me at least, I really did not/could not properly enjoy a cigar until after I quit smoking cigarettes. Smoked the cigs for 20 years. During that time I did smoke an occasional cigar, but never thought there was anything special about them. Finally had enough of the cigs and quit. When my daughter was born a couple of years later, a friend gave me a nice cigar. Holy Crap was that thing GOOD! The difference between smoking cigars before, compared to a couple years off the cigarrettes, was that I had regained my ability to TASTE. Not just food (and good whiskey), but CIGARS.

Anyway... I'm just rambling, but my point is that you might not get too much out of a nice cigar while still smoking cigarettes. I sure never did. Had to let my taste buds grow back first!

Oh, one more thing - for a starter cigar, I don't think a guy could go wrong with a Padron. They are reasonably priced and a very nice smoke.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing real special, starting to develop a taste for the Don Diego babies(33 band) and the Elites(38 band). I like the mid 30's to low 40's for band width, mainly because they smoke reasonably quick withot getting too hot. I only want two or three good fingers of Old Grand Dad (bonded 100), not the whole damn bottle.
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
One that I've like for several years now is the Corona Club Tubulaires. They are a small ( 4.75X40 ) but they sure pack a lot of stress relief in that little tubo.

The only downside is that you can't order them from a store inside of the US.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 11:00 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the little ones are right handy Dennis. Seems harder to find a good "small" cigar though? I have not tried either of the ones you mention, or the one Tim likes. Will add them to my list of things to try. I bought some of these petite corona 2nds awhile back and really liked them. Especially for the price.

- DAA

Edited to fix the link.

[ July 22, 2006, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I'd like to claim that you are a bad influence on me. But the truth is, I'll probably give up tobacco the same day that I give up sex and oxygen.

But I did decide to see if your advice on cigars was as good as your advice on guns. [Wink]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Knows what it's all about
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, the ol'lady is on her way to town. I told her to find me a good cigar to smoke this evening, now i'm sitting here tryin to figure out a way of convincing her to let me smoke it while we have uh.....you know, to combine and double the experiences..LOL.. I know, i'll tell her the Clinton story..LOL..

Seriously though she is goin to pick one up. I've gotta give one a try..

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey JD,

They dont have them Cig shops out in the corn fields...lol

Next time your down I will hook you up.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys and your cigars,
I'm a chewer, not a smoker, but I have a couple funny cigar stories. Brad Norman and his brother were up hunting a couple years ago, and Brads brother had to give me a cigar. I told him repeatedly that I didn't smoke but he insisted that I have one. So I just kind of wooled it around and chewed it. Come to find out that it cost more than I spend on chew in a month. I did almost the exact same thing with some Mexican clientel. But they were quite a bit more insulted when I chewed their cigar. The same Mexicans brought some "good" tequila. And it was good, until I looked at the $500 price tag on the bottle. Then I decided it was way too good for me. I was scared I would spill some.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2006 09:27 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at a can of Copehagen every three days. Not into cigars either but I'd probably give one a fair shot.

Aside from Bud Light the only thing hard I'll drink is quervo (sp?). I'd like to try the real stuff someday. Just to see how much I really can't take.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 05:01 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
"A side from Bud Light the only thing hard I'll drink is quervo (sp?). I'd like to try the real stuff someday. Just to see how much I really can't take."

Bud Light! Oh YA! Thats about as hard as it gets for me anymore. I dont get over it the next day like I use to!....lol

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2006 06:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys might want to try this on a hot day;

Fill a 2 gal. jug about half full of ice.

Pour in a gal. of ice tea.

Add a fifth of Peach Schnapps.

Stir & Enjoy.

Not much 'kick' to it, but it's a tasty yard work drink.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted July 25, 2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this late, being preoccupied with threats of lawsuits, etc.

I buy and smoke Partagas #6, and anything else that I am offered.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 07:36 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cal, I noticed that you like to stuff that tabbaacy way up into your upper lip. I used to do that too. When my lips would turn all white and calloused, and gum lines would shrink to almost nil, I'd change it around a bit.

Problem was, I'd forget sometimes and sneeze!!! Holy Moly What A Mess!!!!!! I know it's happened to you too, unless you never sneeze! LOL

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Once again, you have given me some excellent advise. I ordered some of those cigars you recommended, and when they came in, I couldn't resist but to try one.

Even the Wife had to try a taste of it, she was so drawn in by the smell. She thought it was the best cigar that I've ever shared with her.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2006 05:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Tim.

I haven't ordered a new box yet. Have a couple here to sample this weekend, and want to try them before making up my mind.

- DAA

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
you all still amaze me. Some of the smartest people I have come to know, yet you slobber and drool over chewing and sucking on some dried up donkey dic....

Tim, I am waiting for the day when Miss Joyce posts that last night you suggested a little hanky panky. Being interested her self... she goes to the humidor.. pulls out a cigar and then says she will see you in the morning.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted August 15, 2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

Looks like I could use some more of your expert advise.

I'm thinking that with this campout coming up, that it sure would be nice to have a couple of EXTRA special cigars for one night.

I know that Leonard is fond of the Partagas, and I have been looking at some of them from the original Cuban fields. I kind of like the El Ray Del Mundo's and have looked at a few of them.

But if it were up to you, what do you think would be the best cigar to enjoy while sitting around a campfire, and swapping stories with some of the greatest guys in the World?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 07:50 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Tim, that's a really hard question to answer. I'm far from any kind of expert on the subject, and there are still a ton of really great cigars I have not smoked yet.

But since you put me on the spot...

Two cigars I have personally smoked that I remember as being especially great, are the Graycliff Espresso (the Graycliff Originals were awesome too), or the La Aurora Ruby.

But Damn! There have been plenty of other really, really nice smokes! I've had some Padron's that practically made the world move. And some of those El Rey Del Mundo's are super, super good. Never had a bad Partagas either, for that matter.

Ya know, the real best answer, might be "whatever the BEST cigars I happened to have at the time are"!

- DAA

Edit: Let's see if that fixed the mess I made out of those links.

[ August 15, 2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I had been thinking along the same lines.... If you want, maybe we can compare notes and bring a box of a couple different kinds.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 2nds, 5 Vegas Series A and Nestor are some damn fine cigars that dont cost an arm and a leg. $2-4 each.

I was planning on bringing several anyway. But, if you want, maybe each could buy a box of good ones as well as what I was bringing and pass em around. Sounds good to me.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 05:54 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of what I was thinking Andy.

I was looking at getting a small box of really nice cigars to share with a few guys who really enjoy a good cigar.

I just need to decide on which one's to order so I can get them into the humidor for at least a month before we get together.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. Actually, CI just had a 1 day special on Gurkah Class Regents. Box of 10, MSRP $115, Regular CI price $75, Sale Price $29.99. They are very good. Had one yesterday a buddy gave me.

Shoulda ordered them....

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a box of these the other day. Good smokes for an everyday mosquito swatter...
http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

I was just reading about those, from the email you sent me.

Tell you what, if I can hit the Powerball between now and the camp out, I'll promise to spend the $15,000 for a box of twenty so that we can try them one night.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 09:53 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Isnt that insane?? Maybe if we could get 10 guys to go in on one, CI has singles for $400, we could sit in a circle and pass it around?? [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys age and store your cigars cellophaned or nude?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters