The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Which caller is best for me? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Which caller is best for me?
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, the new remote takes a little getting used to after running the other ones, but overall I would say it is better. It has 4 pre sets for your favorites and it has a timer that lets you know exactly how long you have been on stand. Switching sounds and mute work instantly and it even has volume control from 0 to 40 so you know exactly where your volume is. So far mine has worked perfectly. I'm glad I switched.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 03:15 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

That's exactly what I'm looking for, especially the volume indicator.Thanks Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully I can post this link. FoxPro

[ December 21, 2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 5 posted December 21, 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,
quote:
If you operate a caller this way, your success rate is sure to tumble.

Speculation? Or proven fact?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, Obviously I didn't write that, so I'm sorry I don't have that answer for you.

--------------------

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 05:46 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp, I hope you were able to get the information you needed.

I would say that there are plenty of callers out there that will meet your needs.

All of the manufactures have people that love them and then don't. All are continually looking to improve their callers as technology becomes affordable for them to do so.

It is like any given Saturday. All football teams are created equal. they all have a chance to win and loose. But then everyone seems to have their favorite and a list of reasons why.

Good luck in your decision making.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 07:14 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
All true, what Norm pointed out, plus you may want to consider this...FoxPro has the 'new, improved, double speaker, all of the bells & whistles' model out. A fine unit, I've been told. So.....there should be some used 416 FoxPros around for sale by people who have upgraded. If you're not in a hurry, it might be worth your while to look around ebay & other sources for a 416 w/remote and the recording adapter.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7641 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Cal, Just had a question. Wasn't nessacarily directed at you.

I'm a little confused on this amp clipping, and if it really has an effect on calling coyote. or is the concern about burning up a speaker with a under-powered amp?

What gets clipped out of a ARROOOO.WAAAAAA or an OOWWWWW? Do they become a loud arrooo,waaaa or oowww? Will it greatly reduce my success if the top and the bottom of that sound wave are missing.

[ December 22, 2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 11:39 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
Click on the foxpro link that Cal posted. I don't know how true that the statements found after clicking said link are actual fact. I can tell you that I will be finding out real quick though. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 5 posted December 22, 2006 12:33 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I have alot of questions on that one also, especially the part about playing one to loud and seeing your success rate tumble.

Does a 7:1 power advantage mean that one would be 3.5 times louder with the same speaker? Or in the case of two speakers running on the foxpro would that make it 7 times louder at max volume.

How concerned would I really have to be about the clipping and distortion?

Wouldn't all callers have some clipping or distortion and if so, do some handle it differently? Thinking that an amp pushing a mid range speaker might be clipping differently that one pushing a high range speaker?

Do most prey distress sounds have mid range harmonics?

Dennis

[ December 22, 2006, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
The foxpro guy who wrote that information you find after clicking the link is talking about what can happen if you try to crank an AMPLIFIER higher than it was designed to handle. I have new knowledge that I can not reveal just yet. What I can tell you is this----Never underestimate the wonders of evolution. Long live Minaska callers! [Smile]

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Rich, You might say that I was only a phone call away from owning one. I called them last week and got the answering machine stating to leave a message and number and they would call back as soon as possible. My message was I wanted to order a BC. So far no return call.

Dennis

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
Sorry to hear that Dennis. I called them today and had no problem getting through.

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 07:01 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich you have "new information" but can't post it yet? Come on the answer to many questions are in those words? [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 08:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The Foxpro is a good unit, I have one. The down side of Foxpro is they want your money every year when they bring out the new model. The 532 was the state of -their- art model in 2004, in 2005 it was their FX3 and you guessed it, in 2006 it is the FX5. They say you can convert the FX3 to an FX5 for 200+ dollars. What does 2007 hold for the varmint callers. What ever it is it will be 200+ dollars, if you have a FX5 and 400 if you have a FX3 and 1000 dollars if you have a 2004 model.
IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
There are not to many companies out there anymore that would let you upgrade from one model to the next years,for the price difference in the new model.You don't have to do it if you don't want to but the option is there.I think that's just good business on Foxpro's part.

Plus I like the fact that they are continuing to upgrade the technoligy and making a better unit year after year.I guess it's all in how you look at it "the glass is half empty or the glass is half full."LOL Good Hunting Chad

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 09:23 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, they all do it, car companies, gun manufacturers, call makers etc. etc....

I think the e-call business will just keep upgrading just like the rest and that is great for us. Some, like Loudmouth will fade away but it seems like FoxPro and Minaska are here for the long haul and will have new products every year. That doesn't mean that last years model still won't work. I'm driving vehicles that are several years old, but they still get me where I want to go and a 532 will still call coyotes. So will a Tally-Ho. I really don't understand why some people complain about advancements in technology. I don't see the need to upgrade vehicles every year and can't personally afford it. I would love to have a brand new Toyota Tacoma double cab for a trapping and coyote hunting truck, but as of now I have a 96 Dodge Dakota. But I don't mind that Toyota has a new model Tacoma with 4 doors out. The bow business is another and some guys have to have the new model every year. I'm shooting (gasp) a 4 year old model BowTech. I'll trade up one of these days, but I'm not going to worry about my 4 year old bow being able to kill stuff, it seems to do fine. My favorite rifles are still built on old Sako actions, even though they have newer ones out that are supposed to be improved. I'm gald I have an FX5, it has some really neat features, but I could go back to a 416 or 532 FoxPro tommorrow and still be perfectly happy with thier performance.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker,
I have been sworn to secrecy. One of those trade secrets that Field Staff learn about before the hottest new gizmo hits the market. [Smile]

I agree with Cal Taylor. Upgrades are good for the consumer. My old Bandit works just fine the way it is. Electronics is one area where advancements in technology are happening very quickly. There are a few upgrades that I plan to have them install in my old Bandit that will make it even better than it is now. I may just drive down to Lincoln and drop it off. There is always the chance that I can talk Steve or Todd into buying my lunch while I am there. [Smile]

--------------------

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal,

You don't want a four door double cab for hunting and trapping, the wheel base is to long, you'd drag and get high centered everywhere you went.

I want one of those little Toyota or Datsun mini trucks, the things go anywhere, and last forever.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the short wheel base is great Tim, but I have too much junk. And seems like coyote hunting more often I have 1 or 2 other people along. That and then rifles etc. it is hard to have too much room. I have a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel double cab for guiding hunters and pulling a horse trailer and it is a hell of a truck, but way to much for trapping and calling. I hunted this summer alot out of our old 4 runner and like it pretty good but it's not much of an outfit for trapping. I have all my trapping stuff loaded in my Yamaha Rhino and have been pulling it around to trapping spots, and am going to have to figure something new out soon because my county got some extra money and I am officially hired for some trapping and aerial hunting from now into the forseeable future right on through denning so I am going to be putting on a ton of miles in the near future.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am officially hired for some trapping and aerial hunting from now into the forseeable future right on through denning so I am going to be putting on a ton of miles in the near future."
---------------------------
Shut the hell up Cal. I'm as jealous as a tom cat that just lost his pussy to the cool cat on other side of the tracks.

Lord I apologize for that right up there, and please be with the starving pygmies in Africa--Amen

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2006 07:31 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not all that big of deal Rich, I have denned for them for several years. They just got a little extra money to spend and wanted me to do a little other work. It will mostly be snares and M44s till den time. They also contracted a pile of helicopter time.

[ December 25, 2006, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal Taylor,
I think that it is nice that you can scratch out a living by doing the things that you like to do. Not many men are able to do that.

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 09:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, just to chime in and agree with Cal on the new FX5 remote... I am REALLY liking this new remote. For me and how I use my Foxpro, I think it is a big improvement. I use most of the new features on just about every stand. The presets are great, and I love being able to see whether I am muted and what my volume level is on the screen. Range and responsiveness seem improved too. I give it two thumbs way up.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2006 09:48 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave.I think I will send my FX3 in after February for the upgrade.From what I've seen in the advertisements that new remote is very imppressive.Thanks again Dave and Cal.Good Hunting Chad

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters