The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hearing protection ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hearing protection ?
Jack Roberts
Knows what it's all about
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
jbmartin,
Volume in the ear has nothing to do with direction. Your brain calculates direction by how much sooner a sound hits one ear than the other. A one millisecond between sounds is easily detected.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 05:14 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a set of the Walkers muffs for my boy last year and I ended up wearing them almost all of hunting season. I am definately going to get a set of some type that fits in the ear and shuts down for gun fire. I used to carry plugs all the time while guiding hunters and the scenario goes like this: you sneak in a group of mule deer and while laying beside the hunter I stick my plugs in to get ready for the shot, then the hunter asks you another question like "which one do I shoot". Since I can't hear him I pull my plugs out to get him on the right animal and before I can get my plugs back in he fires his 300 loudnboomer with the muzzle break while I'm laying next to the barrel. As I'm rolling around on the ground trying to get my ears to stop bleeding, he's in a panic worrying about if he hit his deer or not. I usually end up mentioning something about his family background or something his mother did, but they never notice because they can't hear for a while either. Bbut the Walkers muffs ended all those problems and I would reccomend them to anyone. But for every day use I would prefer something less obtrusive.

Leonard, I went to high school with JB and he was way smarter than me, but I got more girls. [Big Grin] He's still a computer genius, and a damn fine silversmith, and a pretty good coyote hunter.

[ June 01, 2007, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you probably did get all the girls...with your sweet talk. Nancy saw your picture once and said you were a "hunk".

Good hunting. LB

Live that one down.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jbmartin
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 09:45 AM      Profile for jbmartin   Email jbmartin         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack - thats what I thought, but a guy that tried some of the muffs told me that you couldn't tell direction very well with them, hence the question.

Cal, let me know which ones you get and how they work.

JB

Posts: 28 | From: Greeley, CO | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 07:10 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the single Walker's Game Ear about five or six years ago. It works pretty well but makes me a bit dizzy and is a tad uncomfortable. Having the sound amplified in both ears may solve the dizziness problem.
I find myself concentrating REALLY hard on the sound with my forehead all scrunched up, wondering where it's coming from. I would like to get a set of the muffs just for the hell of it. The single eats batteries like candy. The newer versions may be much more improved then the one I have.

IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 12:18 AM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
With more than forty years of unprotected shooting,I have been lucky enough not to have lost too much hearing,I don't have to read lips yet.I noticed three years ago that my ears began to get real sensative to muzzle blast,more so with my left ear, which is closest to the muzzle, shooting right handed.'Tho it's a hassle sometimes,it's become a reflex to use the simple foam ear plugs when on stands,even if I jump a Coyote entering a stand,it's ear plug first,even if it's only in my left ear.It is sooooo much better when that gun goes off,and that's with muzzle brakes on my calling rifles.
The ringing in your ears after a loud noise,such as a muzzle blast,concerts,etc.is an indication of some hearing loss,may it be minimal,it all adds up,and keeps chipping away till you notice,hey I've got a problem,than it's too late.

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joe Manes
Member # 686

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 11:49 PM      Profile for Joe Manes   Email Joe Manes         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear plug type hearing protectors when calling. I didn't use to but I am a big beleiver in them now.
I didn't lose my hearing due to guns, or concerts. I lost it due to work.

I can still hear alright unassisted, except that I think people are mumbleing more.

I think when the time comes I am going to check out the inner ear implants or reconstruction or whatever that is.

Anyhow, back to the topic. Weatherby and I were walking across a canyon when I spied a jack about halfway down. I didn't have my plugs in, but figured "What the heck, its only a 17". But I didn't figure on what a shot fired across the canyon would do to that noise. It made my skin crawl. Never again.

Posts: 31 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters