The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » World Predator and Hunting Expo (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: World Predator and Hunting Expo
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2007 06:47 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall Johnny being there, but I do recall meeting Gerald for the first time. And yes, Willis was extremely good at voice howling. To my young ears, he walked on water. I believe I still have a microcassette recording of the event the year you were there. Somewhere in one of these desk drawers, if it's even any good anymore.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
predator sniper
Knows what it's all about
Member # 702

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 08:05 AM      Profile for predator sniper   Author's Homepage   Email predator sniper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all!
Here are the firmed up dates for the Expo. August 22-23-24 2008 Overland Park Convention Center. Overland Park is a subburb of KC, Ks.
All good posts about the World Predator & Hunting Expo. Please feel free to contact me if you have any ideas that you may want to express. The more info i get from the predator industry the better the Expo will be!
Interest is fantastic! In the short time that i have been contacting companies, in the shooting and hunting industry, the verbal comitments have been overwhelming.
This is what the predator hunting industry has been needing to help secure it-self in the hunting industry, and that we are here to stay! There is not one sector of the hunting industry that does not have a vested interest in predator managment. They are all affected by predator damage.
We will be having a New Product section that will be avaliable for companies to introduce or highlight new products to the press, buyers and consumers.
We will also be having a custom call compitition, so custom call makers can display and show off their tallents, while competing against each other.
We have lots in store for this event and want to invite any and all to come a be a part of this ground breaking event.
What a great place for all interested predator hunters to finally have a place to meet and get to know each other. Establish relationships (business and personal), see whats new, get to know the manufacturers, go to some great seminars, and give support for the sport that has afflicted us all.
Keep the posts coming
Brent Rueb
World Predator & Hunting Expo.

--------------------
www.predatorsniperstyx.com

Posts: 28 | From: St. Francis, Ks | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 07:24 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would bring this to the top. Who is planning to make the trip to attend this?
Jeremy

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 07:46 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler, Dan Carey and I are going.
IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there sometime Saturday morning until Sunday afternoon. If you have your reservations made, let everyone know. I'm really looking forward to meeting new friends and hanging out with the same old ones for the weekend. I may even attend my demo. [Smile]

I've got a room there at the host hotel, the Sheraton.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
J. Piatt
Member # 2827

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 08:06 PM      Profile for J. Piatt           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple weeks to go!!

Rich, You and Tyler are judges right??...LOL

JD

Posts: 35 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 08:08 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now I plan on being there. Should be a good time and a way to beat the heat in August.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 08:20 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we are, J.D.
I'm pleased to announce that you won the contest. We will mail the trophy to you. No need for you to make the long drive .
Congratulations.

J. Piatt
Member # 2827

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 08:36 PM      Profile for J. Piatt           Edit/Delete Post 
Well hell, "That was easy".

Hey Leonard, could ya change me from "Future rock star" to "World Champion" LOL....

Rich, I finally got the "PERFECT" band cut for my howler [Razz]

Lookin forward to seein you and Tyler again and meeting more predator addicts.

JD

Posts: 35 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me preface this post by saying I am NOT being a smartass (like I usually am)

But judging a distress cry contest would be very difficult to do I think

A coyote vocaliztion contest on the other hand would be a different thing. You either sound like a coyote or ya don't. I'm sure most guys have heard enough different coyote sounds in the wild to say either it sounds realistic or it don't.

But when it comes to distress cries I'm think there are so many variables.

Age, species and the manner in which that little critter is getting torn up on the way to meet its maker.

Kind of like saying..."What does a person being killed sound like?"

Depends on how it happens and the person. One person may scream like hell and another may just cry alot.

Not trying to be morbid but I think you get the idea. Its a subjective thing.

When I call I try to first decided what animal I am. Maybe a bird...maybe a cottontail...maybe a prairie dog...maybe a fawn.

Then I try to emulate that critter literally being eaten alive.

I'd love to go see one of these calling contests but I damn sure wouldn't want to judge one.

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Buckwheat
Member # 655

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Buckwheat   Author's Homepage   Email Buckwheat         Edit/Delete Post 
Willis Kent
Here is some of the information that is on the call packages when you purchase the LITTLE BUDDIE call.

Package states that Willis Kent and his wife Dianne Kent developed the little buddy call in 1988.

Willis Kent took first place in pro- division in Kansas and Mike Halona second place and Steve Collins took third place.

The Little Buddy call is the pen type call that was cut off and used the with a JC reed.
These calls were used to win the National Predator Calling Championship in1988, 1989 and 1999 and second place in the Professional Division in 1989 and 1990

This call is still sold by Roy Finely today.
Willis and Dianne Kent were great assets to the trapping industry. At one time he served as vice president of the NTA.

Posts: 21 | From: Pa. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I see those on Ebay all the time, and recall Willis selling those at the Kansas event. As Gerry posted above, Willis howled with his voice. And it was enough to send chills up your spine. He was a gracious and modest man. He attended the Kansas event both in '88 and '89. On Sunday mornings, at whichever event he might be, he always offered a nondenominational church service for those in attendance. I don't know if we've yet found someone to fill his shoes since his passing, or if we ever will. I consider it a privilege to have met him.

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 02:08 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you coming up for it Jeremy? I'll be there for the whole thing!! Should be fun and am looking forward to meeting new freinds and old ones alike!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Buckwheat
Member # 655

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 06:38 PM      Profile for Buckwheat   Author's Homepage   Email Buckwheat         Edit/Delete Post 
T/R
It has been a wile, looking forward to seeing you there. You can bring that replacement horn tip call I lost. LOL
Ernie

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 07:25 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
So I thought you told me not long ago that you weren't going unless someone else paid for the trip, or if you won the trip, SO, don't be putting pressure on me to finish that call, unless you ARE going to be there. If I get on it and do it and then you don't show, it'll just delay you getting that call, oh, by about another year!! [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Buckwheat
Member # 655

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Buckwheat   Author's Homepage   Email Buckwheat         Edit/Delete Post 
T/R
Well what I told you is true. I will be there. Besides I not was going to wait another year. You better get to work on that call.
Ernie

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2008 01:10 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
TR I think I will make it.
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a question: will the calling contest be filmed? Or for that matter, will the whole expo be covered by someone?
A webcast of the calling event would be awsome?
Just wondering

[ July 27, 2008, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Lone howl,

I know that American Outdoorsman Radio & Television Shows will be there - two booth spaces - but don't know if they'll be taping or not. I'll send a heads up to Brent to see if he can pop in again and let us know.

--------------------

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 03:03 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what time on Saturday does the calling contest start?
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 08:19 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lance, I know a lot of people are interested that cant make it. It would be nice to see it in its entirety.(sp)

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 06:00 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
"But judging a distress cry contest would be very difficult to do I think"

Mule,
I was at an event once, and the calling contest was about to begin. I climbed up into the stand, and a fellow by the name of Wayne Carlton sat down beside me. He said, "Steve, why aren't you in this contest?"
I said, "Wayne, I know what a coyote wants to hear, but as far as that judge, I have no idea!" "Why aren't you in it?"
He looked at me and smiled and said, "Same reason"!

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 06:50 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, come to the ATA convention this Sat. The State Calling Championship is being held at 12:30. That will give you some idea of what the\ose judges want to hear.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that it was in Sutton, Nebraska where I met Johnny Stewart. In the calling contest, Johnny took first place by blowing puppy distress crys on a Stewart PC-1. If I remember correctly, Willis Kent took second place. Willis used a voice howl that was very low in pitch, and used it to start out his series of sounds during the contest. I believe that most callers back then used coyote howls as locators. Bill Austin was probably already using howls for the purpose of calling coyotes, but I didn't see him in the contest.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 08:27 AM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
You'd be pretty hard pressed to call a coyote around Sutton these days, mostly corn and bean fields. I was there a couple weeks ago to play golf. When was this calling contest, and did you ever call coyotes in that area way back when? I didn't realize there was a history of predator calling in that area. I'm guessing that any coyote hunting in that area now is via trucks.
Greg C.

Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters