The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A white Christmas? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: A white Christmas?
JBinMontana
PAKMAN
Member # 3544

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2009 08:09 PM      Profile for JBinMontana   Author's Homepage   Email JBinMontana         Edit/Delete Post 
We wear those hats now and then.... LOL

--------------------
JB

Posts: 9 | From: Kalispell, MT | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2009 08:21 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy Kromer hats, a great product made right here in the UP of Michigan. MI VHNTR

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 394 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted December 25, 2009 11:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Railroad hat?!?! Man, thats a Stormy Kromer. Warm bastard with ear flaps. Ya gotta be pretty 'punchy' to wear one, but I'll put in a good word for ya.....LOL.

I've got to say that post brought back some memories...

First time I saw one of those was in the winter of 1972. I had just started working for the Norfolk & Western Railroad as a brakeman. Ironically, my conductor's nickname was "Punchy" Miller... he was a bare fisted prize fighter in his early years and wore one of those hats and a Macinaw all winter long as did many other railroad trainmen back then. When it got wet he would hang it near the oil fired stove on the caboose and man did it smell bad until it dried! LOL

That old guy sure had some stories to tell. He fought and trained(no pun intended)with some of the greatest names in boxing. That was like another world away from where we stand today.

Nikonut

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 12:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, I thought they looked a bit Elmer Fudd, but then I saw my hero Huber wearing one, and started to pay attention. But, you have to drive about a thousand miles (from here) before you get into them. Now, (I guess) they must be the height of fashion in cold country?

If I had a black one, I'd wear it on the road, or maybe in Walmart, but I'd get stared at. They just don't know what's cool, do they?

Good hunting. LB

Your daughter is a real cutie, Geordie.

[ December 26, 2009, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 07:12 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all of that white stuff wasn't around anymore. At least that is what Al Gore told me. I heard Dallas Texas had a white Christmas for the first time since 1926.

How cold does it have to get to make the Global Warming freaks to shut up?

BTW: Hope all of you guys had a great Christmas. Ours was good but we are really waiting until Thursday to celebrate when Grandson will be around. All of our presents are still under wraps.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, that looks like tons of fun for the kids and the dad!

Railroad hats? I always though they were Elmer Fudd hats too. Actually, tons of the ranchers and cowboys out in Eastern Colorado where those in the winter very en vogue out there.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 03:24 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to the percentage of the U.S. that is currently under a white blanket, and what the highest percentage all time is?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
32below
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 04:02 PM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/
Over half

Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Says 60.4%. AlGore is a dumbass.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 07:40 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Late Christmas to all!!

quote:
I'm looking at Saturday night - growing big moon (~70%), should be straight overhead at about 8 p.m., and snow on the ground. Coyotes have been in seige mode and nocturnal since deer season and I have a surprise for them. LOL
Lance, you shoudl get after em!! I was stuck in Missouri visiting my parents and missed out on the storm. I ended up shooting two coyotes christmas day and one on saturday(was looking/praying for bobcats). Skies never cleared till yesterday for me. Got home to the aftermath left by the storm [Eek!] holy drifts!. Anyways, didnt get home till dark. Hung out with some friends till they left and as I was getting ready for bed I went to piss outside and saw that I could see 150+ yards easy. Got the urge and loaded up. Made 2 stands and killed a dog on each stand. Definately eerie calling them with just moon light. Killed both of them at about 30 yards.......both scared the crap out of me and got the heart racing when they proceeded to run AT ME after the shot. The first one I thought I missed somehow..... Started running straight at me as I frantically tried to get the scope on it again. Heart about jumped out of my chest thinking I had a wounded coyote about to come cuddle in the drift with me! But he cut to my right at about 30 ft from me and piled up lol. I loved the rush [Big Grin] . Heading back out tonight but starting earlier as I was losing light angle/brightness by midnight. Going to start around 7-8 and see where it takes me(if there are no clouds). GO get em!

[ December 28, 2009, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Patterson ]

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it's damned cold!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Patterson
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was not to bad but...
Tonight
Bitterly cold. Mostly clear. Lows around 4 above. North winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northeast after midnight. Wind chill readings as cold as 4 below.

Not awful but it will get them critters hungry and out since the wind will not be horrible. Im thinking it should be decent.
Born and raised until 1.5 years ago within 30 miles of the CO/WY border in Colorado. Dealt with these temps a lot. Nothing like the MN/SD/ND/WY/MT guys though [Eek!]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 02:59 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear someone had some luck. We made six stands Saturday night and all I could call was a pair of owls. Oh well, made it out for four more stands Sunday morning and killed a nice male on the first setup, but didn't see a thing after that. Talked with a few folks from the areas we were hunting and they said the dog wagons have been all around them on a daily basis. I figured as such, but to not see anything Sat night was a surprise as we had decent light up to about 10:30 and I really thought that they'd be showing since it was the first time the winds had been below 30 mph for four days. But, they weren't. Most of our snow has melted today but I may try to get out on the north side of some hedge rows where the snow was shaded and see if I can do any good.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2009 03:24 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a white Christmas, white sand that is. [Cool]

My business partner is spending the winter in south Florida, on the gulf side. He came home for Thanksgiving and I rode back down with him. Came home on the 10th. Loaded up my family and flew back down there on the 18th. Got home yesterday. I missed both big storms and cold snaps here. Its cold now, but not nearly as cold as it was. I got lucky I guess.

Toes in the water and ass in the sand for Christmas is pretty hard to beat. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 05:56 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The county where I live has been declared a disaster area. Less than 25 percent of those county roads are passable. Grader opens the road, and wind blows em right back shut. Those guys who like to chase coyotes through the fields with 4x4 pickups are screwed too. Snow is too deep. My friend Mert did strap on his snow shoes and slipped in close enough to score a triple on coyotes yesterday though.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 06:26 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, did you try locating at all or were they howling for you?? Both of the ones I killed the other night I was walking into an area to make a stand and they started lighting it up a complete 180 from where I was headed. So I turned around and went after them. Got to where I thought I was within 1/4 mile and started my stands. Second one came on the second series. Definately saved me hearing them the completely opposite direction. Well I didnt make it out last night. Weather man was strangely wrong.....went to sleep when I got off work at 5 and woke up at 9.....and of coarse clouded up and no moon what so ever. Maybe tonight or later this week.

Kinda got the toes in the wool socks and ass in the snow drift here for now. Not sure ive heard that version though [Smile]

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of howling here away from the pasturelands. We included howls on most stands and didn't hear a single coyote light up all evening, whether in response to us or in general. Strangely quiet. Except for that barred owl that perched right behind us and carried on for fifteen minutes. That's always been the case around here. In other parts of the country, I can get them to yap their heads off. Around here, mum's the word.

You missed it last night. The clouds actually moved in here about 8:30. Before that, it was very bright. But, we had near 40-degrees yesterday and that zapped about 2/3 of the snow where I tried to hunt. Couldn't see chit.

Did make it out this morning. First stand produced a pair. The male came leaping and bounding the the Ultimate One while his girlfriend watched from a hilltop about 350 yards away. I shot at the male after he ran up to the caller and stuck his nose in the speaker and unzipped his paunch at about 120 yards. My rifle jammed (well, actually, I tried to double load it) and he was nice enough to stand out there chewing on his entrails strung across the meadow until I got another round in the chamber and shot him in the back of the head. Nothing like making every coyote exciting. [Embarrassed]

Several stands later, enroute home, I passed a little stand of trees in the bottom of a shallow drainage off the blacktop that I have often looked at and thought just how perfect a spot that would be for a coyote to lay up in. Not big enough to draw any attention and open all around for their security. In full snow camo, I burrowed into the drifts and on the SE side and hit the "go" button. Immediately, and I mean right now, a young female came out of the bottom and checked up behind a cottonwood tree from where I sat at about 60 yards. I let the caller play and she made a couple more short advances while I waited for her to stop where I didn't have tree branches between us. Finally she did and I shot. She rolled, jumped up and came right at me, across the frozen creek and out of sight beneath a shelf right in front of me. I quickly reloaded and waited for her to erupt in my face thinking she was coming to the fenceline in which I sat to make her escape. She didn't appear. I stood and quickly looked left and right to see if she was going to the flanks and, ....nothing. Her tracks on the other side, coming down the snowdrift, were splattered with blood, so from my high vantage point, I followed the track until I found her rolled up and dead about thirty yards away in some bluestem grass.

Seven stands, saw three and killed two. That's fifty-one coyotes called this year and I've gotten 31 of them dead so far. Would like to end the season somewhere beyond 40, but 2 of 3 on average is doing pretty good for me.

--------------------

Patterson
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya I was pretty pissed when I put all my gear on and stepped out and it was cloudy!

Im not a huge fan of howling either. Very rarely do I set out with the intent to howl on stand. Its usually ends of stands when Im bored and want to see if there are any around or if I know they are there but just not responding to distress sounds.

My percentages are no where near yours, and I should probly not tell all you pros but im sitting at 34%. Ive killed personally 9 of the 26 I have called in so far this year (mostly december). Of that 26 three were shot by someone else and probly another 7-8 I never got a shot at. Its taking some time to adjust to calling here vs. Colorado. I love it here and love calling here but I dont know the last time I have even seen a coyote at 300 yards lol. I am lucky if I get to see them before they get to 100 yards with the cover. There is a lot to be said about seeing a coyote coming from 300 yards compared to 100 or less. But its fun and exciting to make the decisions split second. Keeps me on my toes. I should probly get away from the CRP and brushy draws but coming from Colorado that stuff looks way to good!! Seems like I see a spot a coyote should be every mile around here with all the cover.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 01:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
34% is nothing to be ashamed of, Amigo. There are locations and seasons where I have called one coyote all day long....more than once, and not killed him. Coyotes are never going to be a slam dunk proposition, even under the best conditions in prime areas.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I was meeting a client today up in Troon North shi shi upper scottsdale neighborhood. we met at the gates and proceeded in stopping in front of the house we all walked up the drive together
as we rounded the turn to the walkway the two ladies and one gentleman Let out a loud shriek and passed me in retreat. There lay a beautiful dead coyote ,dead as a hammer. she was yoy and in perfect condition no bulletholes or anything.
Realizing they were coming no closer to the savage beast I plucked it up and crossed the street to my truck and tossed it in just like Id been hunting. You would have thought Id killed a terroist for them a real life hero! on with the metting what is what I had in mind when I got there. Now after the meeting all I can think about is what the hell killed it so pretty no evidence of trauma maybe poison?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S OBVIOUS, DUNDERHEAD!

A seventeen Remington at 4100fps!

Or, maybe snail bait?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 04:33 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Leonard everyone know the Hmr does a better job! just finished putiing the fur up she looks to be a victim of an evil vehicle probably an S.U.V. Hope it was driven by a forever traumatized bunny hugger , lots of internal damage not even a broken rib....

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 05:33 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help but to admit that I still read quite a lot over on the dark side. Seeing Patterson's numbers reminded me of a very recent post where several individuals were going at each other about how all the contests were getting out of hand and how all the contestants are ruining the calling in and around "thier" calling grounds, and one person said something about the fact that he kills 90% of what he calls in and that the contestants never come close to that number because they get sloppy in thier stand selections and sloppy in thier shooting, taking shots that "he" would pass on so that he could call that coyote on another day.

90%............We all have a new standard to work on......or at least I do!! Raise your hand here if YOU too kill 90% of your called coyotes.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I killed 90% of the coyotes I call.
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
32below
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2009 08:03 PM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
90%?

I do!

No warranties expressed or implied. Cross hairs must be on target when triggered pressed, chamber loaded and bullet strikes intended target.

Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters