The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Come on down (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Come on down
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 08:53 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn!?!?! [Eek!]

We're only halfway, I dunno how much more I can take.

I'll be damned glad, when this thing is over.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 01:00 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
The storm came ashore at Sabine Pass, TX. That's about 36 miles south of Orange. Nothing but swamp and a big lake separating the 2 towns. They're predicting a 20' storm surge. Any looters are going to need SCUBA gear.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 05:05 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like he's thru the worst of it as far as rain goes this morning, but still a lot of wind in that area. Cat 2 now.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 06:13 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, for a Cat 3 there didn't seem to be much damage. The surge didn't appear to materialize, either. I guess CW's mojo must have been working overtime. [Big Grin] OK Ronnie, we're ready for a report. You OK?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
waiting here too... [Confused]

[ September 24, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really tough. I always have considered our members as extended family, but this is the flip of the coin; it's not all warm fuzzys.

edit: In response to an inquiry
I can see where the message was not as clear as it could have been. What I meant to convey is that (normally) dealing with members, things are upbeat and positive, and in this case there was (potentially) a life threatening situation. Instead of pleasant banter with folks about hunting coyotes, I was worried that somebody might drown, or at least lose everything he owns. "Warm fuzzies" is not a figure of speech that I use, normally? I think I got it from my sister?

I had thoughts in my head all night long, and got up at 5 just to check on things and went back to bed for 40 winks.

Now, it seems clear that we won't know how Ronnie has managed until he gets some relief, power, phone calls, whatever? Even carrier pidgens are grounded, they are talking about up to 25" of rain!

I watched FOX reporters until past midnight getting blown around in the wind and rain. I got out a map of both states. Not once did they ever mention Orange, Texas, but all you have to do is look at a map and see that it's dead center of the storm.

I was wondering about water coming in the house, furnature getting soaked, how do you protect vehicle ignitions, where to stash firearms, food, water, all that stuff?

Flood insurance, some places, it's just not available. Like out here, earthquake insurance I cannot afford it any more, since the last one they jack up the rates.

So, for sure, if anybody hears what is going on with member #37. Let us know because I'm sure that his welfare is on the mind of everyone that reads this Board. It sure gives a personal perspective on this force of Nature.

Other than that, I don't know what to say? We just have to await word and think good thoughts.

Good hunting. LB

[ September 25, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard the most beautiful blessed music that I could ever hear when my cell phone just rang. It was the roughest... toughest... greatest... Texan voice coming through on the other end!!!!!!!! Yiiiiiiipppppeeeeeeeee

He made it through!!! He is alright! A bit shaken... From all of you, he must have had a wall of angels protecting every wall of his exterior house. Everything is everywhere, a beautiful live oak came crashing down in his yard and the only thing that it did was the leaves are kissing the bedroom window. He got some water in his den via the seals in the sliding glass door. He woke up to find three new dogs and one longhorn wondering around.

He said you can't go nowhere! Everything is covered by tree's and limbs and debre. He had someone that he had never met before coming to check up on him... Ronnie greeted him with the caution of course. It turns out that it's a real nice kid. He is coming back with chainsaws, Ronnie is firing up the tractor and they are going to go cutting to at least clear a spot of the road to the highway.

The phone cut off right when I was asking how Judy was, now I can't get back through. I thought I heard she was good... but that's all I know.

He is safe!!!!!!

Sheri

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good news,Crow Woman..I've been checking here all morning to see if someone had heard from him...Thank god he is ok!! This eases the tension from worrying about a fello Huntmaster,friend.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sheri,

I called him last night, but he was on the other line with Judy. He ask for me to call him back but I couldn't get through.

I'm due North of him by a about 200 miles. The rain and winds started here early this morning. They say that it could last for a few days and rain up to 24". Hope not. Most of our gas stations ran out of gas yesterday and the shelves at the grocery store are barren.

If you happen to hear from him again tell him we said "HOWDY"

Byron

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
yuccabush
Member # 582

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for yuccabush   Email yuccabush         Edit/Delete Post 
All my family made it trough. They are without power. My sister that lives on rayburn has 5' of water in her house. Her and her family are high and dry in hemphill though.

I'm glad to here the good news on Ronnie.

Posts: 67 | From: Bernalillo | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheri,

Thank you so very much for that good news. Like Leonard, I was up early, if troubled sleep can be called sleep at all, worrying and wondering what he was going thru. I guess those angels came thru for us, and for them. I never had my doubts.

yuccabush,

Sorry to hear about your sis's house. Hope she had time to get the important things packed up and carted away.

And now, if y'all don't mind, I think I'll go find someplace quiet and breathe a sigh of relief.

Well, it's several minutes later and my quiet place is at the computer. I just went to the NOAA site to see where the hurricane is, and just to show you how big that bitch is, it's getting cloudy here in northcentral Kansas as the first bands of clouds from the hurricane are now over head, our winds have subsided somewhat and the humidity has gone up notably in the past couple hours. SE KS is getting rain already from her. It's a full day's drive from here to Orange, TX and yet this storm spans the distance from here to Ronnie's. Sumbitch!

[ September 24, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 02:43 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Praise GOD!!!!!

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

You da man Ronnie!!!!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
That is great news! Glad to hear it!

--------------------
Predator Pursuit
4 Videos Day and Night
www.predatorpursuit.com

Posts: 21 | From: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo HOooooo. Glad to hear it. There are a few more folk I know through these boards that were in the way of that sucker. So far, all have fared better than we initially thought. I'm not a religious man by nature but I thank God and our lucky stars for all who have survived this beast.

Way to go Ronnie!

Randy

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for letting us know. Sheri.

Hope he doen't over excert himself with all the cleanup now.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted September 25, 2005 11:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We could use a little more update?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, an update would be really cool.

This whole thing hung on me like a big dark cloud, all weekend.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard... I wish too that I could give you an update... I've been trying since we got cut off to get back through... "All Systems Are Busy" is all I get. I will keep on trying and you can bet that as soon as I hear his voice again... I will be fastly busy logging on to post here! Just keep the prayers up I guess is all I can think of to do right now.

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 12:43 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Ronnie [Confused]
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 5:15 p.m. my time and I just got off the phone with that wonderful Texan again. Unfortunately his other line was ringing and he had to put me on hold... so I will let that other line ringer fill in the rest of the details... grins

He said it will be about 3-4 weeks before they have any kind of electric. He's still working his cell phone when he can get a signal.

He said it is way worse than the national news is saying. They finally got a path cut to the highway. Him and a few young kids are working hard at cleanup. He said FEMA and the national guardsmen are doing a great job. He wanted me to get word out... then I was put on hold...

take it hold... grins More news to come from the other line ringer... err... member

to be cont'd...

[ September 26, 2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Crow Woman ]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Figured, he was just resting...after duking it out with Rita [Smile] Thanks for the update [Wink] .
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear he's still okay. Fox News showed about ten seconds of video this a.m. as one of their crews passed thru Orange on the way to someplace else. Lots of tree damage and, IK can only imagine, subsequent house and structural damage as well. Did he say how his house is since he's has a better opportunity to get out and assess it?

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Crow Woman,

Thanks for the update. [Smile]

Next time you speak with him, can you inquire about ScottD {he's a neighbor of Ronnie's, and I have been worrying about him and his family too)?

Krusty  -

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Good damn deal.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters