The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Any opinions? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Any opinions?
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
At least Leonard found it easy to figure out.

Whether you agree or not, Ignorance IS bliss. Game Law breakers in possession of a hunting license are regularly held more accountable than someone who does NOT have a license. Is it right? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

The law (all law) is very selective depending on the mood of the day. If you've ever dealt with any court or attorney, then it should be obvious. Right and wrong doesn't mean squat. Prime example: Kennedy's recent Impaired Driving fiasco, Illegal border crossings, OJ Simpson, Bankruptcy privileges, Spitting on a Whitehouse Security Guard, Hot McDonalds coffee between the thighs and Clinton lying under oath. Money talks and Stupid walks. Anyway shooting a hawk is the best way to get a close-up look-see at it.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 03:44 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Come on Tom. Does it make any sense to carry an unloaded gun into the field? And riddle me this. How many times did you walk in the woods as a twelve year old without a hunting license, but with a 22.
You're not keeping up with the thread! Forget 12 yr olds. (1) they don't need a license; (2) we're talking about 2 adults.

If they're hunting it would be prudent to have a valid hunting license on their person. Otherwise, pay the fine! (Who wants to go hunting with a scofflaw, anyway?)

If they're not hunting, then the assumption is target shooting. The scenario is they are walking (to somewhere) and a critter is underfoot. Why is the gun already loaded? Safety says load up when you get to the designated shooting area. Not back at the truck. That's the way I taught my kids. [Wink]

(edit)
quote:
shooting a hawk is the best way to get a close-up look-see at it
It is one way, but not the best. The best way is with a pigeon harness or a dome trap. Either one is harmless and the hawk can be immediately released.

[ June 20, 2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 04:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would it make a difference if you didn't have a hunting license when the dirty crime was committed? Ignorance allows for leaniency in many circumstances.

What if you went hunting quail and your 12 year old son shot a dove? That's a Federal crime. Sue Nami

quote:
Carrying a loaded gun into the field without a hunting license? Hmmmmm, had to have been going to do some "target" shooting, right? I smell a loose cannon. NASA
quote:
Come on Tom. Does it make any sense to carry an unloaded gun into the field? And riddle me this. How many times did you walk in the woods as a twelve year old without a hunting license, but with a 22. LB

quote:
You're not keeping up with the thread! Forget 12 yr olds. (1) they don't need a license; (2) we're talking about 2 adults.

A twelve year old shoots a dove by mistake, instead of a quail. Then you suggest "target shooting" and recommend that the gun should be unloaded? Who's not following the thread, Amigo?

The question is: (which you completely missed)Should the boy be left to walk fourten miles without a cellphone, or should Dad turn him in at the nearest jail, and then post bail?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 04:42 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, I saw the question as two separate "what if" scenarios. These kinds of conversations are so much easier around a campfire, aren't they? [Wink]
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on who's around the campfire.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 05:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, as I read Jay's post he implied that shooting a hawk is the best way to see the legal system at work.
IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 05:47 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we having fun yet? Communicating an open minded worthwhile message or two?
If not, I give.

Point of clarification:

I have never been directly employeed by a law enforcement agency or organization.

Not exactly sure how I gave that impression....

I have close and personal relationships - the emphasis being on personal - with people that I will never disclose in a thread that contains the term "chickenhawk".

I've had loose association with Leonards beloved CHP. They brought an "old guy" out of retirement in the early 80's to write a specification for a communications system. As a young guy I did the engineering work on that. It was a great education for me. I learned a ton, including the fact that one of the CHP tower sites gave a great "chickenhawks" view of the Hearst Mansion. If you could review the design documentation you'd see the sign-off of JLF often. Unfortunately, it was a solution to a problem specified by a guy who was about 3 human generations and 7 electronics generations old. It remained in service less than a decade.

Beyond that, I had a closer association with another employer that made a bit of survailence equipment that was a bit too good to comply with our domestic nancy-boy laws. Close enough that I now have somewhat impaired hearing in my right ear.

My reference to documents that I have created refers to procedural efforts. If you poke the wrong point you might get electrocuted.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the father is responsible and therefore is guilty (unless the mother is watching). He should hand over his cellphone and car keys to the 12 year old and start humping it towards town. The boy gets to drive away giving him a thrill of his lifetime. At least the airbags work. I hope the dad learned something from all this.

Higgins, I would have bet money nobody would have caught that. You're good.

[ June 20, 2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 06:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I say give the kid a verbal warning and let it go at that

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted June 20, 2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I knew you were never a narc. Musician, yes. Easterner, yes. [Smile] Model 788 user, yes. Veteran coyote hunter, yeah.

But, former cop? I never heard that one? LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 07:24 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for shits and giggles here is the price list for shooting great horned owls;
one gray owl: 850.00
4 owls: 3,400.00
10 owls 6,800.00
It seems that if you shoot 10 or more you get a discount of 170.00.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

[ June 20, 2006, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 08:41 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

My bad. I coulda swore you had been a law dog in an earlier life. Mia culpa.

Leave it to Higgins to see something like that in amongst all this. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 05:25 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
CDog, no harm. I only pointed it out because people who know me personally pass through here on occasion. I'd hate for them to think I was living some sort of internet fantasy here on this board.

In light of that thought.... uh......

Hey Leonard, would you mind changing the word "veteran" in your post above to something less flattering like "amatuer"? LOL

Note - this board is doing something weird - the text in the box down below is from another thread. I closed this out twice and the text below does not match the thread I want to reply to. Here's to hoping that this post winds up somewhere where it will make a little bit of sense....

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
one gray owl: 850.00
4 owls: 3,400.00
10 owls 6,800.00
1 chicken hawk: PRICELESS

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 07:06 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, that was funny!

P.S. The text in the box below where I'm entering this has posts from May 14th on a different topic. Different PC than earlier.

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 08:01 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Joe

I think this thread was started in May?

I might as well get this off my chest. I think the original post had or has a fair amount of arrogance,condescension or as someone else stated self-righteousness. I'm hope that wasn't the intent, but to me it sure came out that way.

Do I know farmers who intentionally shoot red tails because they think they are killing their quail? Do I know people that have two or three times the possesion limit of catfish in the freezer because they're saving them for the annual Forth Of July fish fry? How about a friend that does alot of business travel and occasionally takes home a couple of gallons of moonshine from PA? How about a family member(wife) who intentionally tore off the do not remove tag from a mattress? Yes to all of those and I as of yet haven't called the "authorities" on them.

Have I called in a discovered meth lab in a old abandoned silo? An apparent drunk driver who was weaving all over the road? Yes

My point being that I'm very comfortable in my interpertation on what's my moral and legal obligation to society and I reallly don't need some sort of guilt trip because I see it different than someone else. I have no real interest in policing the world, it's not my fricken job.

Don't we have more things to worry about? Like full term babies being ripped out of their mothers wombs and then thown in trash cans.

Dennis

[ June 21, 2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'm just yankin' your chain, Joe.
I knew you would squirm at "Veteran" and thought you would also object to "easterner"? Just my way of messing with a friend.

Now, Dennis!
Your post pretty well caps the whole discussion. I can agree with those principles, and the attitude behind them.

Good hunting. LB

edit: On one point, however. I must confess. I will not condone ripping the tag off a mattress. It's just not the way I was brought up!

[ June 21, 2006, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 10:32 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I knew you were and I was playing along; besides, I guess you can be veteran and amateur...... maybe you'd better go back and change that to "rank amateur".....

I was ignoring the easterner part. We're all east of somebody.

P.S. The stuff below matches now - what I saw before ended in may...????

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Money talks and Stupid walks. Anyway shooting a hawk is the best way to get a close-up look-see at it."
------------
Jay, does it depend highly upon who see's ya shoot it?

--------------------

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
You know it does RC.

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters