The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Need to whack a skunk. Need your two cents. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Need to whack a skunk. Need your two cents.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 01:18 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Piņata Party at Tripp's place! [Big Grin]

Who gets to swing the stick first?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dsmith7136
Knows what it's all about
Member # 732

Icon 14 posted January 08, 2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Dsmith7136   Email Dsmith7136         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. So - now what ARE you going to do with him (it)? Or did you do it already? How? Was it bad? Let's hear it.

--------------------
Beware the man who shoots just one gun...

Posts: 44 | From: Loveland, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dsmith7136
Member # 732

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 02:19 PM      Profile for Dsmith7136   Email Dsmith7136         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh - almost forgot - Congratulations!! (I think) [Wink]

--------------------

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 03:58 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeesus Tripp! Have you caught him yet? or are you engaged in some sort of epic battle with the skunk from hell? [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 05:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Damned if that sumbitch didn't catch it and turn it loose in my neighborhood. What kinda man catches a skunk and transports it 1500 miles to my yard just to make it my problem?!?

Matt was waiting for me to get out there yesterday morning and he saw a skunk waddle from my house, past his truck and around the neighbor's house across the street. Soon as I heard about it, my first thought was,... "TRIPP!!!!!!!!!!!" (Shake fist while screaming)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 
So what happened..skunk?no skunk?out of tuna?*CHASING* tuna?
Status report.OT,the sooner the better

Posts: 18 | From: Iron County, UT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw the blanket over the trap before you set it leaving the ends open. When/IF you catch the skunk, flip the blanket ends over the end of the trap so you can carry the trap off. A skunk USUALLY won't spray what they can't see especially if you move slowly.

Another problem you might be encountering is using catfood (Chicken of the Sea) for skunk bait. Use cheetos and you won't have the problems with cats springing your trap. Skunks love cheetos and cats don't. If you insist on using Chicken of the Sea, punch nail holes in the can and throw the whole can in instead of allowing small mice and pack rats to clean your bait out or critters to reach in and scrape it out.

I've had to trap literally thousands of skunks
on complaints and many in urban areas.

Good advise on locking one side of the trap. Obvious who the trappers are here.

After you catch the skunk and flip the blankets over the trap ends, you can carry it to wherever you want. Use a gas hose from an old gasoline vehicle and give them 15 minutes of gas and subtract him/her from Schindler's list.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 02:09 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy Homies!

Back from several days out at the lease. Saw a few deer but nothing I was willing to pull the trigger on... and a bobcat (story to come later).

And now for the news you've been waiting for...

"Saddam" is still alive and well. Set the havahart for him one more time and this time put several bricks on top to keep the trap in place and several rocks on the drop-door to ensure it locked shut after falling (skunk's tail keeping the door from shutting all the way0.

Results? Trap sprung, tuna can picked clean. No saddam.

Although the trap is perfect in width and height, it's obvious it's just too damned short to get the job done.

Raccoons love corn and they have a habit of screwing with feeder spinner plates and varmit guards. As such, I keep a good-sized box trap out at my lease. I catch a number of coons each year with it and the trap works great. This afternoon I brought the trap back in the truck and will bait the sucker up tonight. We'll see if Saddam works his way out of this baby.

I like the idea of using Cheetos for bait. Going to try that tonight. Besides, I'm out of Chicken of the Sea and Cheetos are cheaper.

Not sure if I'm going to employ the blanket over the trap trick, I'm just too worried about Saddam and a potential gas attack for obvious reasons as well as the fact I have 10' between my house and each of the neighbors'.

My thinking is to whack the bastard with a 22 short. But I must ask two things of the expert panel:

1) Just how loud is a 22 short compared to a pellet rifle of 22 LR?

2) Will a skunk release its happy juice when shot?

3) Where do I shoot the cuddly 'lil dictator? I've gotten conflicting direction: some say shoot for the head and some say avoid the head and shoot at the body. Some say the skunk will spray doing one and not the other, and some say vice versa.

Arming for battle...

[ January 11, 2007, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
1) I still say gas him. It's quieter than the options you asked about.

2) Those bastards will always spray when you shoot them. I've found no guaranteed spot on their little carcasses that won't make them squirt.

3) The only way I found to shoot them that didn't stick was one I caught in a coyote set and all I had was a Mini-14 and 40-grain Vmaxes. from thirty feet upwind, I let him have it being careful not to hit my good trap. He exploded into tiny skunk fragments all over the hillside and I'll damned if there wasn't any stink. Don't know I managed that, but it worked. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I say shoot the skunk in the chest or just behind the shoulder. If it sprays just hose the area down with water and move on with youre day to day life. If shooting the skunk and haveing him spray is a big problem then quit feeding him and clean-up the back yard, sooner or later it well move on...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing in my back yard to clean up. Grass, trees, and nothing more. Spotless other than a few dried dog turds.

The skunk just passes through my back yard. Cleaning up will accomplish nothing.

The skunk lives in the neighbor's back yard which is loaded with shrubs, ferns, bird feeders, cat food, a sunken plastic koi pond, a few compost piles, etc., etc. The chick is a tree-hugging fruit loop.

The key question is: How loud are 22 shorts?

[ January 11, 2007, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 03:46 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
the 22 shorts are a bit louder than a pellet gun. If you only shoot once or twice no-one is going to know...
What i ment by cleaning up youre yard is get rid of the tuna can and stop feeding the skunk in youre trap. Its clear that the trap is not working and by continueing this practice you are just inviteing the skunk back and proably some of his relatives. I live in town and if i get a skunk or raccoon in the back yard i just shoot them and put a end to it.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuna or no tuna, Saddam ain't gonna leave unless he's stiff. His been around for the better part of a year and lives next door.

I'm going to try the 22 short route. The larger trap is now set and swimming with Cheetos.

[ January 11, 2007, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot riding on this, Trip. No mistakes. I can't believe you tried to trap a skunk in a cage that wasn't long enough to include his tail ?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 05:35 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Shame I didn't just happen to have a skunk trap lying around. What the heck was I thinking?

Tripp [Smile]

[ January 11, 2007, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 06:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp,
I'm rooting for you, but betting on the skunk. [Razz] What an enchanting creature it is. [Razz]

[ January 11, 2007, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Dan Carey ]

IP: Logged
Buffalobob
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 06:56 PM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
The noise of the shot will travel in the direction of the bullet. It will also bounce. Shrubs and bushes will absorb and muffle the sound. At one time in my life I knew how to make a disposable silencer for a 22. It seems like it involved a roll of paper towels and duct tape. IIRC paper flies everywhere but it is good for 3 or 4 shots.

Here is one but it is a lot of work.

If the feds catch U it will be 2 bad

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp,if you can kill him without him spraying,take a knife and cut the scarlet collored sacks from out of his behind.Squeeze the yellow mustard out into a 2oz.bottle.Put the cap on the bottle(very tight)and then dip it in hot wax.Put this in another(stink proof) container and wax it too.Then send it all to me.I will give you $20.00 plus shipping for all your troubles.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"Obvious who the trappers are here."

While I may or may not be a "trapper" yet, I do know a thing or two about shooting in the city.

The CB shorts are not real loud, but not real quiet either.
Another slightly quieter, but still effective (at close range), round is the Super Collibri, made by Aguilla.

Both the short and the collibri will probably force you outside, to make the shot and be in range.

The best silencer I know of, is to shoot from indoors.
I used to shoot my .22lr through an open window (from ten feet or so away from the window), my neighbors didn't know, when asked, that I'd been doing it.
But the neighborhood I live in, is used to shooting, I dunno 'bout where you live?

Krusty  -

[ January 11, 2007, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 08:16 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's how Krusty does that damned little wavy thing.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 08:18 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Excellent idea. My downstairs bedroom window lines up perfectly with the trap. Gonna nail him from about 10' inside the house.

Let's just pray I remember to open the damned thing.

Thanks.  -

[ January 11, 2007, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp,

You only forget once. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 09:05 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard! I'm tellin' MOM!

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 09:08 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
 -  -

[ January 11, 2007, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Dsmith7136
Member # 732

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Dsmith7136   Email Dsmith7136         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, Tripp, I've used .22 CB caps to whack cage caught coons (five of them last fall) in my back yard, and never got so much as a raised eyebrow from the neighbors on either side of me. Our houses aren't 20 feet apart. You're probably too young to remember when these things (.22 caps) were commonly shot from real pump action rifles in public shooting galleries. 'course that was back in the day when - well, never mind.

Fired through an old single shot bolt action rifle, CB caps aren't much louder than a magnum-class fart. I suppose they'd be louder in a short barreled handgun. Clap your hands together one time and you've duplicated the sound of a CB cap. I really think my Benjamin air rifle makes more noise.

As I understand it, a CB cap (29 grain soft lead bullet in a .22 short case) is propelled by primer only; no powder charge. They're about as "neighborhood-friendly" a round as you could hope for.

I've also heard tell of guys duct taping an empty 2-liter plastic pop bottle over the end of a rifle bbl. for a makeshift silencer with excellent results. They cut a one inch hole in the "exit" end. It's a cumbersome, but effective, arrangement.

Still, I've found that shooting a skunk in the head will not prevent them from spraying the happy juice no matter how quiet your gun is. I've killed a couple of them that way with nasty results. Head shot coons are messy too; they don't spray, of course, but they do flop and thrash about slinging blood in all directions.

By far, the "quietest" coon I ever killed was heart/lung shot with a CB cap from a full-on frontal position. Actually, he was hanging upside down in a cage clinging to the top of it with all fours, growling and snarling like - well, like a caged animal. I put the rifle barrel against his chest between his two front legs, popped the cap and he just fell dead to the bottom of the cage. Same for another that was standing and facing me. Bang, flop, dead.

I'm not certain why, but that's been my experience, limited though it may be. Maybe the bullet strikes the spinal cord disrupting neuro functions long enough for the thing to bleed out internally? I dunno. I just know it's far less dramatic than braining them.

Now - the only 100% sure-fire way to dispatch a skunk without triggering the noxious release of happy juice is to administer an overdose of clinical anesthetic - sodium pentobarbital or euthenasia (available from a veteranian)- to the heart/lung area with a syringe mounted on the end of a five foot-long broomstick or some such.

I got this tidy bit of info from a book on fox trapping by Tom Krause. Two of his trapping buddies apparently did this routinely and made quite a bundle selling skunk fur without getting themselves all stunk up in the process.

They use a syringe charged with 3 cc's of Anesthesia fastened to the end of a stick with a pair of angle iron brackets, walk slowly and calmly up to the skunk while carefully watching for signs of aggrevation in the skunk (stamping feet and other tell tale posturing), let him smell the needle, then slowly push it against the skunk where its neck and chest meet. The needle slips easily into the chest cavity and another gentle push injects the deadly concoction. The skunk "falls asleep" quickly, painlessly and without stinking up the neighborhood. The guys say it can also be injected directly behind the front shoulder with equal effect. They claim it works every time. The title of the book is Dynamite Fox Trapping, copyright 1979.

I'm not sure it's practical for a one time occurrence, but it's something to consider.

Dennis

[ January 11, 2007, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Dsmith7136 ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters