The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Surrender Monkeys/vote in poll (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Surrender Monkeys/vote in poll
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 07:58 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think what has disappeared forever is the attitude of unions to DEMAND things unfairly from the corporate world. Things have a way of evening out, eventually.

Really!!!

I think the last I read about Ford was that their employees cost them an average of 75 dollars an hour, good for them!! But don`t bitch at me about buying a Toyota that is higher quality, cheaper price tag, better warranty, better mileage & built by AMERICANS......unions are antiquated, there are laws that have taken the place of what the unions fought for, hell even non union companies are scared to death to act inappropriately towards an employee. If you take a job working for someone else you ARE subject to their requests & demands, I don`t see anything unfair about that, inconvenient at times, yes but you DID agree to it by accepting that paycheck.

Unions are one step above welfare as far as costing the public millions of dollars.

JMO

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 11:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
JD, that is the weakest argument I have heard, in quite a while. I'm glad you got that off your chest, but far as I can tell, you have not articulated any reasoning behind your opinion.

The "laws" you mention are a joke if you think the average American worker is "protected" from arbitrary termination and demotions. Ford Motor Company is probably average in their total compensation package, including health coverage, retirement, vacation and sick pay for things such as pregnancy, not to mention Federally mandated, and most likely mandatory, overtime pay.

There is a lot of ways to jack the manhour cost of each employee, when they want to score points. But, in spite of it, the big Corporate CEO's always seem to give themselves a nice chunk of the profits, usually after downsizing eight or nine thousand employees, and doubling the workload of the lucky schmucks that survived the purge.

Only a small percentage of those that deserve it, are serving time. The list includes Tyco's Koslowski, Enron's Kenneth Lay, Robert Vesco, Global Crossing, Martha Stewart, Rite Aid, Investment brokers, traders...I just can't think of all the corporate crooks at the moment, but there is just as much legal FAT at the top, dwarfing what the peons get, and of course it goes in very few pockets.

And, (sure) they work very hard compared to the dirty mechanics, etc. Yeah, riding the corporate jet, talking "business" on every golf course in the country, and complaining about the union contract THEY signed. Ironic, eh?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31671 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 12:25 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL....I haven`t made an argument, I was merely making an entrance. [Smile]

I never defended what goes on at the top of the ladder.

Earlier you mentioned that some people may be jealous of what union workers get paid, it seems that the jealousy goes right on up the ladder, eh?

I can`t & won`t justify one wrong by finding another one to compare it to, I don`t think that way, never have, never will, that`s liberal talk.

Yes there are a lot of things in life that aren`t fair, I guess that`s why Grandad always said to me "the fair comes in august, boy" but as you said things even out & if you sit still & watch closely over the next little while you`ll see just how the union has helped "even out" the big 3....of course the taxpayer will pay for it in the end but what the hell, it`s Government money right & those poor abused sonsabitches can`t live without all those toys.

I guess I have a little different work ethic & value system than most but I`m of the firm conviction that if what you have wasn`t earned than somebody somewhere got screwed, I may never be a billionaire but I`ve earned everything I have & I sleep good at night knowing that I don`t expect someone else to take care of me for the rest of my life.

I`ve been in the factories & promptly made some decisions to do something different with my life, I did however learn that the world is full of lazy people who will do absolutely nothing over & above what they`re forced to do, bare minimum. I just couldn`t take being around people who`s most common reply was " that`s not my job" I`ve always done anything & everything that it takes to get the job done right, no exceptions.

I have a friend who is tied into Ford & the unions & he vents his frustrations on me because we are a lot alike in how we think concerning work ethics, I can assure you that the union & the laws that are replacing them have helped a lot of people in the past but in the present they are enabling people to be lazy, whining, demanding leaches who believe that they are entitled to this or that for no appearant reason other than the company is making a profit.

I`ve been a contractor for several years now & have worked on a handful of union jobsites, some of them we simply bribed the "union supervisor" for those of you who aren`t in the know, that means we gave the man in charge of making sure that all the workers were union workers, a couple hundred dollars so that we wouldn`t get our tires slashed or be beat half to death in an alley somewhere, other times we would simply show up at 5:01pm & work until the sun came up & the union workers wandered in, yes, we would work nonstop all night & the union guys would scratch there heads wondering how all that work got done cause they knew they damn sure didn`t do it, that was always my favorite part.

What an effiecient crew they are [Roll Eyes] the reason the commercial contractors bring in us non union "private" boys is because he wants a quality job in a decent amount of time & working with people who can think for themselves & act accordingly & all he has to do is pay us our bid amount, no fees, no bribes, no excuses.

I`m sorry but from what I`ve seen & experienced the returns from the unions aren`t diminishing, they`re non existant at this point.

It doesn`t matter how much you pay someone who has an entitlement attitude....it`ll never be enough & they`ll always be broke & it will be someone elses fault, probably one of the executives....it`s an ugly, unfortunate scenario.........show me I`m wrong.

--------------------
Jason

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 02:48 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent nearly 7 years working in a meat packing plant. When I started it was a family owned and managed business. It wasn’t easy to get hired on and hard work was always recognized by management. Sometimes with a little extra on the paycheck other times with a simple thank you or a box of product to take home. It seemed to me a simple thank you from management went a long way to motivate me to stay productive and go the extra mile if need be. If something went wrong during the week and production goals were not met management would ask employees to put in an extra day and rarely if ever had trouble putting together a crew from two shifts to get the job done. Employees who had plans with their family that weekend, or simply didn’t want to, were never forced to work the extra time, in large part because the company had several people who had applied for work when there were not positions available, these people were willing to work on a “call in” basis and could easily take up any slack in some of the unskilled positions and would look at it as a foot in the door.

The family eventually sold the facility to a publicly traded national brand who had a reputation for buying packing plants and closing the doors. Anyone hear of Thorne Apple Valley? To begin with there were no noticeable changes. The plant manager and supervisory staff remained the same however, they were answering to a President and board of directors and ultimately stock holders that didn’t have a clue about how things worked at the plant that kept it productive but the bottom line was closely scrutinized. Pressure was added to the existing management that ultimately lead to resignations or dismissals. After our safety net of upper management was now gone those of us down in the trenches could see TAV’s personality. It didn’t take the newly imported plant manager long to discover that there were no likeminded supervisors in place and there were not any like minded employees to promote to that position. Eventually, supervisors were finding greener pastures either by choice or by getting fired. Those extra days that were once optional soon became mandatory. The requirement to get hired on got to the point that they would grab your wrist and if there was a pulse you were hired. After working 41 days straight I put my foot down and decided I was going to take Sunday off and told my (imported) supervisor “Thanks for the invitation but I must decline“. He said don’t make them make me fire you. I told him I didn’t think he had the balls to fire me after the string of days of honest work I had run together for HIM and management. The following Monday when I reported for work I was met by my supervisor at the door. He informed me that the plant engineer wanted to speak with me the minute I got there. I asked if he was coming with me he said yes. I punched in and to the carpet we went. The guy behind the desk said “We missed you yesterday”. I told him that that is odd because I told my supervisor that I wouldn’t be there. He then asked why I didn’t come in. I told him I had put in 41 days straight and I needed some time to myself. That set him off and he spent 5-10 minutes telling me how guys like me are a dime a dozen and I was to have my tools and other personal belongings out of there before the next morning. I grabbed a dime out of my pocket and left it on his desk and told the engineer good luck and that he was going to need it on the way out the door. In retrospect that was one of my top best things that could have happened to me events.

At the recommendation of my supervisor I did apply for unemployment. However, I was already back to work somewhere else when the State sent me the notice that I had been “terminated with cause“.

I often wondered if employees were treated the same way at Thorne Apple Valley’s union plants. Somehow I doubt it.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2007 05:34 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Oh Shit Behle!!! I just noticed your new title, very nice. C`mon now I wasn`t that hard on you guys was I.

Goofy bastrds!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jason

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters