The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Need to whack a skunk. Need your two cents. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Need to whack a skunk. Need your two cents.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 11:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The above sounds like good advice.

Note; I am not a trapper!

However

I wonder why you couldn't submerge the (covered)cage in a trash barrel full of water?

Oh, I know why; the screems, the screems!

Not the skunk....... YOU , silly!  -

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dsmith7136
Knows what it's all about
Member # 732

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:43 AM      Profile for Dsmith7136   Email Dsmith7136         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Skunks, like humans, can fart underwater but the bubbles are much worse [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dennis

--------------------
Beware the man who shoots just one gun...

Posts: 44 | From: Loveland, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:52 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
An old trapper I met at the Rondy, named Blaine Nalder, specializes in (urban) skunks and has devloped a PVC pipe live trap.
After catching a skunk, he covers the ends of the trap with old t-shirts.

He drowns almost all of them, after removal and transportation from the catch site, and said they rarely spray in the process.
(*That way he's already at the river, washes the traps with skunk soap, and feeds the crawdads, all at the same time).

A syringe pole can be used with some more "household" like products too, but it's use is something better left to professionals (and something I was told "not to discuss openly"... I dunno if this qualifies as "open" or not).

Besides that, it seems like catching the skunk is THE big problem, not dispatching it. [Big Grin]
I was just saving Tripp a step.

Oh yeah... Note to Tripp,

The scope is a couple inches higher than the path of the bullet, don't shoot the window sill/skirt after you remember to open it! [Big Grin]

You only forget that once too. [Wink] What? I fixed it.

Dennis,

You're right. [Smile] The CB shorts (and the Colibris) are "powderless".

The way it was explained to me, the regular colibris have the primer charge of a 22lr, where the super and the cb have the primer charge of a WMR.

The colibri's both share the same 20gr pointed projectile, that looks a lot like a 22 cal pointed hunting pellet.
With the super running about half again as fast as the regular (in the 650fps range ).
The cb uses a 29gr roundnosed bullet that looks more like the standard 22lr.

We've chronographed the colibris, but I didn't have any shorts to compare at the time.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
I think whoever advised you to shoot them in the head was pulling your chain. Talk about a guarantee to get them to spray. If you shoot them behind the legs in the lungs, there is about a 33% chance they will spray a little, about a 33% chance they won't spray at all, and about a 33% chance they will unload. Each skunk is different.

I don't know why you are opting to shoot him when it's so damn easy to gas them or remove them to an area you can shoot them.

Trust me, I've done this a thousand times. Take a long stick and drive a nail in the end of it. Hook the loops in a tarp with the nail and slowly push that tarp over the cage. SLOWLY! Once the cage is completely covered, you can move the cage to where you want to gas them or shoot them. As long as you move slowly and steadily and stop moving when the skunk raises it's tail, you can get away with a lot. Hell, I've put them in the trunk of my car and hauled them off without odor. They don't spray what they can't see unless you really shake them up.

Take a hose from an old gasoline vehicle and run it under the tarp and give them 15 minutes. NO ODOR! If not, haul the covered cage out to the country, open the cage, and shoot the skunk when it runs out.

If you shoot him in the cage, how the hell can you guarantee that your bullet will miss the wire? You're crazy to shoot them unless you like the thought of skunk odor filling your lungs for the next week.

I've killed thousands with the syringe too and I wouldn't advise that. It works great but you need the right drugs (Sodium Pentobarbital) which you probably can't get and it takes a lot more patience, time, and equipment than covering the damn cage with a tarp and getting the skunk out of there or gassing them.

If you wrap the cage first creating a tunnel, all you have to do is flip the covers over the ends, pick the damn thing up, and carry that skunk wherever you want to gas it or shoot it. It's no big deal. If you shoot him, there is about a 75% chance that it's going to spray some.

DO IT RIGHT!

There is now cage traps available that are totally enclosed except along the doors. I just pick the skunk up, put it in the back of my truck, haul it to a bridge or steep sloped area, dump the skunk out, and shoot the damn thing.

You are crazy if you shoot that skunk in the trap unless you hate your neighbors.

~SH~

[ January 12, 2007, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, as a "nontrapper" I admit it was I that suggested a head shot, the theory being kinda like the SWAT TEAM shooting the deranged maniac in the head, disconnecting his motor reflexes on the trigger finger?

Okay, so it doesn't work, but according to your 75% estimates, any other (lethal) point of aim is not a whole lot better.

The thing is, we need to TRAP this critter, first! Then we can get creative with the disposal.

How about placing the cage, in the middle of the night on neighbors front porch, rigging a rope to uncover the cage, and using a slingshot to get him real fired up, object being to spray neighbor's front door, in retaliation, and pure meanness. Keep bumping the cage with one of those radio controlled dune buggies.

Then tie free end of rope to rear bumper and drive/drag Saddam to a secure location (green zone)...maybe he will be out of "ammo" by that time? Do they run out of stuff to spray? I don't know? Anyway, take your time; no hurry.

Remotely open cage, let him get out a ways. (let him think he's escaping) Employ a 12 gauge shotgun; pump, fully loaded, plug removed. Be alert for the possibility that he will elect to hide under car....... or, if you failed to close the door; in the back seat? In that case; I have no solution?

So, got your "game face" on? (anyway) let's say he opts for the woods, dodging and feinting left and right, but you manage to score at least one hit! High fives all around!

Afterwards, get back in the car, gulp some strong spirits to calm your nerves, breathe deep, zone out for a few minutes, (upwind) and then sneak back home, undetected. Remove camo. (tip: try to act natural, very casual)

Normandy required far less planning and was far less monumental in scope.

Good luck, Amigo! LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 10:19 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
If it takes as long to decide how to kill him as it takes to catch him, he will probably starve to death.

Unless of course he's been fed out on tuna and cheetos...

What does he weigh by now???

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 10:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank goodness we are all in seperate locations or this would look like the keystone cops or a monkey on a football.this is truly funny stuff.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Trip... at this point in the game... Open up your front door, make a nice comfy spot on your sofa, fire up a can of that stew that your were eating for game time and invite ole Pepe in. No need to take it out of the can cause you didn't when you were eating it. You might just find yourself a new watch pet and you won't have to worry about dispatching it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp,one more bit of information: How to catch a skunk without getting perfumed...Run a string of cheetos to a burlap bag thats proped open and set your ass down on a lawn chair,beside it.When the skunk goes inside,simply close it,and tote him off to the nearest tree. Beat the sack aginst the tree,untill your sure there is no movement inside.Tote the sack over to the fence, and toss it into your neighbors yard.LOL
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Beat the sack aginst the tree
Yeah, right, in your Hazmat suit.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 11:49 AM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Saddam Execution Update

Checked trap this morning, trap was unsprung and all Cheetos eaten from the pan. I set the trap to spring pretty light, but it's a pretty big trap so I guess not!

After listening to 's advice (which I think makes a hell of a lot of sense, I'm toying with the thought of the tarp/removal/shoot elsewhere method as I've contacted 3 pretty comprehensive gun places all of which don't sell 22 shorts.

So to hell with it for a couple of days. Am headed out to the deer lease to do some camping and enjoy the last weekend of buck season.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:12 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God we are not after bigfoot.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Admit it, Trip. There is no shame. A lonely man takes in a stray, happens all the time.

Reading the tea leaves here, it's obvious that you have called a truce and reached out to one of God's creatures. Be honest, we can take it.

Now, as DR Laura would say; do the right thing, install a doggy door, and buy him a canopied wicker bed, with cedar chips and a blankee.

Good hunting. LB

PS pictures, we want pictures!

PPS get his shots, maybe a rhinestone collar, too!

sudden thought: you mentioned there is nothing in your yard, except for a few dog turds? A reasonable man would conclude; you must have a dog? Where the hell has he been when all this thivery is going on?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point!,Leonard.

[ January 12, 2007, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
5 pages and still no skunk.......man come on Tipp catch this thing already.....
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 12:54 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

My advice, related to shooting, was because I thought Tripp was going to forego the trapping process altogether.

It seemed like a shot of opportunity might present itself, before he could ever get it in the trap to stay. [Wink]

Even if it doesn't spray, skunks stink.
Before I needed it, I'd make up a big jug of skunk soap, and be prepaired to clean up after myself.
I'm trying to skin every critter I can, so I'd wash the skunk up, and give it a try too.

I know Jim Champion, Champion Tannery, always said he'd buy skunks.

Tripp,

The pan of the trap is for catching critters, not for bait. [Smile]
You've already been advised to "cubby" your bait under the cage, and this is durn good advice.

With the bait on or near the pan, anyone who tries to reach through the wire can set off the trap.
The other thing that can happen is the critter will only get his nose to the pan, and start eating, tripping the trap before he's all the way in, and possibly backing out.

For both of these reasons it's best to cover the trap, or block access to the sides and back, and place the bait as far inside as possible.
I use sticks (stuck into the ground, like little tank traps) and cover it with brush (being careful not to block or foul the trigger).

With the bait (in the tuna can) under the trap, and beyond the pan, the critter will be drawn all the way in, and inclined to linger trying to pull cheetos through the floor.
(*If your trap was extended, when his tail gets slammed he'd have somewhere to move forward, pulling his tail from the door, and locking it)

If he digs in from the side, use a piece of chicken wire to secure the can to the bottom of the trap.
Or some guys use a piece of wire off the roll (longer and wider than the cage) or a piece of plywood, when setting on lawns or gardens, to stop damage from diggers and animals caught in the cages.

One of the raccoons I caught pulled everything he could reach inside the trap, tore the cover to hell, and made a muddy mess out of himself and the cage.

I've been buying the Havahart 1089 single door raccoon cages at Home Depot, for $40.00.
This might be a better option than, or a great partner to, your double door cage.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 01:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! Did I miss something, here? He puts the tuna can on the pan? Truth? Yes, no?

So, assuming the pan is "preloaded" considering the weight of the can: AS THE CRITTER EATS THE CONTENTS, AT THIS POINT, IT WILL REQUIRE THAT MUCH MORE PRESSURE TO TRIP THE PAN?

Okay, I'm not a trapper, but this seems counterproductive?

I just checked. A can of tuna weighs 6 ounces, a can of Friskies cat food is 5.5 ounces.

You must be mistaken, K? He wouldn't have put the can on the pan....or would he?

That can't be right! Somebody look it up.

[ January 12, 2007, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
About 10:00 pm tonight I set the Hav-a-Hart up against the fence between the two digs the skunk enters and exits my yard from each night.

On the trap pan sets a freshly opened can of Chicken of the Sea chunk tuna in oil.

This one is HUGE...

quote:
When I got there, the 5x5" mouthed Hav-a-Hart was sprung
quote:
Trap is now set but with tuna out of can and setting on piece of foil setting on trap pan.
quote:
Checked trap this morning, trap was unsprung and all Cheetos eaten from the pan. I set the trap to spring pretty light, but it's a pretty big trap so I guess not!
I'm pretty sure, he said it.

Krusty  -

[ January 12, 2007, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 02:22 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Plug up the hole under the fence! Throw a can of tuna and some cheetos over the fence into the greenies yard everyday. I'm not sure how long skunks live but he will die someday.

[ January 12, 2007, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Dan Carey ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 02:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty callous, Dan. He's bonded, fer cripes sakes. [Smile] She should have her babies out of the cold; like at the foot of Trip's bed, or in the closet?

I love happy endings. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm froze in at home, and bored stiff...

Okay, I went to Havahart.com and looked at the Cage Trap Guide.

Tripp's 5x5 is probably their Model 1025, recommended for rats, rabbits, and flying squirrels.
The skunk is more than likely fouling the trap, because he just doesn't fit inside, at all.

My trappers ed book lists skunk size as;
Total lengths of 20 to 30 inches is the normal range for adults. The tail, included in the total length, is about 7 to 10 inches long. Adults usually weigh 3.5 to 10 pounds.

The Model 1025 is only a total of 18 inches in length, 25% shorter than the 24 inch long trap they list as their smallest recommended skunk trap.
The largest trap they recommend for skunks, the 1088, is considerably larger.

Because it's collaspable (and stores easily), big enough for armidillos and raccoons, which I am sure Tripp will want to catch one of next... and still small enough for stray cats or a skunk, I'm gonna stick with the model 1089 (properly set, and baited) as my recommendation.  -

Krusty  -

[ January 12, 2007, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tripp,

Only a pussy would use a pole with a nail on the end of it to cover the trap. Be a man and walk up to the trap and cover it by hand!

But Scott does make a good point that you may not have caught. Many skunks shy away from entering a trap with open wire sides. It's kind of like they know that they are doing something stupid, and they don't want any of their friends to see them. If you cover everything but the door, many skunks will more readily enter the trap.

Just as a side note, this time of the year, skunks tend to congregate together. If you see one, there are probably a few more around that you haven't seen. When I was doing ADC for skunks, it wasn't uncommon to take a half a dozen or more skunks out of one location at this time of the year.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
(clears throat)

eleven days ago, 4th post on first page. But, of course, I'm not a trapper.

Leonard
Administrator
Member # 2

posted January 01, 2007 09:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
I read in T&PC about trapping skunks and retained almost nothing? I think they say to place the cage next to a wall and cover it with fabric?
Good hunting. LB

edit: Annimal Control in my city consists of borrowing a cage trap from the annimal shelter and wishing you good luck.

January 01, 2007

Why don't we help name Trip's pet?

In the event that Saddam turns out to be a little girl, I was thinking that Cynthia is a cute name. Any other suggestions?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:58 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
TB: "Only a pussy would use a pole with a nail on the end of it to cover the trap. Be a man and walk up to the trap and cover it by hand!"

ROTFLMAO!

Hahaha!

Superman cape and all!

I actually agree but I know most guys that have never worked with skunks wouldn't believe what they can get by with. Once again, it's obvious who the trappers are. LOL! Too funny!

"You tell that skunk that I'm coming with tarp in hand and hell's coming with me, BY GAWD"

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coydog
PAKMAN
Member # 1089

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Coydog   Email Coydog         Edit/Delete Post 
"You tell that skunk that I'm coming with tarp in hand and hell's coming with me, BY GAWD"

hahahahaha!!!! I blew coffee on that one!

Posts: 8 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters