The New Huntmastersbbs!
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » in reguards to P.M. group hunting (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: in reguards to P.M. group hunting
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
"No, you won't get many call shy coyotes to come running across an open field to a predator call"

I'll go along with that one. Caller competiton is a bigger evil that pickup trucks.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"If someone did write that, I don't believe it for a minute."
------------------------
Not in those exact words, but that was the inference. I think you know now who it was that said it. Some folks already know it all, so no need for them to come to the Pompass knowitall board for answers.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
So is the issue that Dennis can't tip over coyotes in stubble, hay fields or pasture or is it that some people hate truck hunters?

"Some folks already know it all, so no need for them to come to the Pompass knowitall board for answers." Looks like a one way street to me

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"So is the issue that Dennis can't tip over coyotes in stubble, hay fields or pasture or is it that some people hate truck hunters?"
---------------------------------------
Could anyone here explain to Dennis that this thread is about calling coyotes, and what makes the coyotes spooky? He doesn't seem to understand that it isn't about hating people. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Cause+Assumed Effect=Blame

Someone tell me about the dynamics or mechanics of coyote populations being chased and killed by truck hunters and how that relates to distress calls and howls.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
I must sincerely apologize to you sir. I had falsely assumed that you understood quite a lot about coyote behavior, and that you were only being a butt head. Now I realize that you actually know very little about coyotes. Wiley E. offers private instruction for those who are serious about learning the basics of coyote behavior and how to call them. He is the only person I can think of right now who may be able to help you. [Eek!]

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least it wasn't until recently that I learned howlers could be used for more than locating. [Cool]

Seriously, tell me what happens when those truck hunters kill one or both alpha's. New mates to find, new country to claim, new food sources to defend....breeding..... Does that effect calling??

[ January 30, 2007, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 06:10 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Seriously, tell me what happens when those truck hunters kill one or both alpha's. New mates to find, new country to claim, new food sources to defend....breeding..... Does that effect calling??"
--------------------
Dennis,
Every coyote that is killed is one less coyote that can be called. Any type of hunting will disturb the coyotes. Deer hunters, pheasant hunters, coyote chasers in trucks, Yahoo's shooting at coyotes from the road. Calling disturbs them also, especially the ones that come in and don't get dead. I know a farmer over near Avoca that has taken 18 coyotes so far this winter all by himself. He hunts alone and on foot. I have a lot of respect for men like him.

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 10 posted January 31, 2007 01:42 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since the intent was to get me to spout off, I'll make another post or two.

Yes Rich, I'm aware of the fact that truck hunters can be very good at killing coyote and that leaves less coyote to be called in. I also know of a good canine man ,in the county south of me, that is probably at a hundred o so trapped coyote for the year. That too is alot less coyote to call. Heard a story over the weekend about of group of southwest MN truck hunters that went to ND recently and shot one hundred and thirteen coyote in two days. That's alot less coyote for someone to call.

I don't think that's the point. I never have and never will call in a dead coyote. That's water over the dam as far as I'm concerned. Nothing I can do about that fact. Hell for as much as I know those guys might shoot or trap thirty,forty or fifty percent of the population!

My concern is the callability(not sure if that's a word) of the survivors. I hunt the first shotgun season and I know alot of coyote get pushed, but at the same time have gone out coyote calling during the second season and have called coyote. Apparently coyote have a hard time connecting, getting pushed around for a week, with a rabbit scream.

Kind of the same situation with the truck hunters. I've gone into sections a day or two after they have been run by trucks and still have managed to call coyote. Evidently a coyote dosen't think that it's the pickup that almost ran him over a couple of days prior that's causing the rabbit to scream. How could he even associate the danger of a truck with a rabbit scream. Seems like a real stretch to me.

A few years ago, we shot a double in the west river of SD. Both were wearing snare necklaces. I suspect they were very cautious about where they were sticking their heads but it sure didn't make them tentative about coming into a distress call. Must have a hard time connecting the two.

I stopped at Scheels all sports this weekend. Same thing as usual, A new HS dvd playing with GS and friends calling coyotes. Rack full of coyote call under the TV. Salesman has the glass display open and showing a customer how a new FX works. A couple of teenagers playing around with a CAss Creek.

A real common sight anymore when going into sporting goods stores.

We're in the age of the RA's and BS'ers, Custom Howlers, Boards that boast of fifteen thousand members, Celebrity hunts.....blaa.

Everybody's always looking for excuses for their own failures. Just human nature I assume. Think about that the next time you start screaming. Or get out your rabbit distress call the next time you hear someone post on a board of 15,00 members, that everyone is using rabbit calls and the only way to call them is with non-agressive howls followed by some puppy whines.

When we walk out of a stand, empty handed, we discuss in detail of why it happened. Maybe we shouldn't have howled, maybe only one of us should have howled instead of both, could you hear the call, do you think a ooyote could hear the call, did we get to tight and bust him out without seeing him.... We have a real bad habit of trying to figure out what we did wrong and apply that to the next stand. Works for us.

coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 01:50 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Heard a story over the weekend about of group of southwest MN truck hunters that went to ND recently and shot one hundred and thirteen coyote in two days.

Where can this be read?

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 02:22 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"My concern is the callability(not sure if that's a word) of the survivors. I hunt the first shotgun season and I know alot of coyote get pushed, but at the same time have gone out coyote calling during the second season and have called coyote. Apparently coyote have a hard time connecting, getting pushed around for a week, with a rabbit scream."
----------------------------------
Greenside,
Good for you Dennis, you are starting to use your thinking power a little bit now. When you went out during second season after the coyotes had been pushed by deer hunters the week before, and you managed to call a coyote, did you wonder how many you might have called if the coyotes hadn't been spooked by those hunters? Sure you can call a spooky coyote now and then. Do you remember twenty five years ago when Iowa coyotes would come to a rabbit scream like a dog to a whistle? I do. I wonder why they are harder to call now? Our coyotes have been chased by so many pickups that they spook every time they hear one coming. The local farmer can drive his tractor right up beside them without spooking the coyotes. Ever wonder why that is? Some folks claim that a coyote never becomes call shy. They do. Can we still call them? Yes, but a lot more care must be taken when approaching a chosen calling stand. Our coyotes won't often come across those open Iowa bean fields to the sound of a screaming rabbit, not in the daytime anyway. If we want to call them, getting on stand real early in the morning before first light is one way to up your chances. Calling in last 30 minutes before dark would be second best. We will likely never call coyotes in the numbers we could whack out west. Too many people, and not enough coyotes. In this post, I am talking about calling the open farm country of Iowa where the only cover is found around a few ditches, terraces and a river or two. Oh yes, we have a few fence rows with narrow width of grass & weeds also. Calling up in the rugged hill country where there are lots of cedar thickets and such is better but that is for another post.

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 04:27 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky for most of us coyote hunting is a challenge and only those die hard dedicated callers will stick with it. I don't call in and kill huge numbers a year but what I do call, I enjoy. There are guys that have hunted for yrs. that haven't called in a song bird and still go out. Then there are guys that go on ten stands and give up thinking it's a waste of time. Pressure is pressure but direct calling pressure is the worst. Trucks, hounds, deer, pheasant rabbit and what ever else hunters don't have near the effect that novice callers with bad hunting skills do. Ass-necks with $6,000 dollar guns, $900 callers and 10 cents worth of hunting skill kill the calling anywhere and everywhere they go. I'd rather have a 15 yr. old with a .17 HMR and an understanding of what it takes to kill an animal out there than ten pricks that saw it on TV and thought it'd be cool.
IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, all your doing is giving shitty callers an excuse why they can't call coyote. If you ever succeed in getting the law changed on truck hunting, what excuse will you give shitty callers for their lack of success? \

Calling sucks! Well we just need some snow and cold weather!

Calling sucks! Ya, the damn snow brought out the truck hunters and all we have now is spooked coyote! The list goes on and on and on and on!

Damn Democrats!

Edit: By the way, totally ignore Dennis, Everybody knows it DAMN near impossible to tip a coyote over in bean stubble. Just can't be done. A real fluke!

EDIT:Just read on PM that someone in Iowa saw two coyote out in the open mid-morning. What's up with that? I'm sure they couldn't be called due to the extreme pressure.

[ January 31, 2007, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 05:31 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, getting some instructions from Wiley sounds like a good time. Even sounds like I could afford it.

Actually, I had(have) a mentor that was(is) very good at calling(killing) coyote. Made a living for awhile at killing Iowa canines and beaver. Never learned many excuses from him, usually just an it'll work or it won't work

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
"The local farmer can drive his tractor right up beside them without spooking the coyotes"

The local farmers in my area shoot them right out of the tractor cab. Most coyote aren't giving a second chance. Must be a regional thing?

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, that Avoca area looks good for calling. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone could get some numbers in that area. Looks much better than those hills.

I used to tell my son that if the western half of iowa was public land and if we could stop on the interstate right of way to call coyote, we could go from Omaha to Des Moines one day and then back to Omaha the next, calling at every place that looked good. I figured that we'd kill at least ten on the way to Des Moines and then ten the next day on the way back to Omaha. My son would laugh like hell, saying that country is too wide open to shoot coyote.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 06:27 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: By the way, totally ignore Dennis, Everybody knows it DAMN near impossible to tip a coyote over in bean stubble. Just can't be done. A real fluke!

EDIT:Just read on PM that someone in Iowa saw two coyote out in the open mid-morning. What's up with that? I'm sure they couldn't be called due to the extreme pressure.
-------------------------------------
Greenside,
You fail to understand that the coyotes seen out in an open field during daytime are travelling from one place to another on their own accord. That is quite a lot different than "calling" the same coyote out into said field. Totally ignore Dennis? I have to agree with you on that statement sir. I am done with trying to explain anything to you. I wish you good luck and good health.

--------------------

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 06:37 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
You fail to understand that the coyotes seen out in an open field during daytime are travelling from one place to another on their own accord.

Yes I know the difference between an active coyote and an inactive coyote. One of them snores.

Sir, good hunting in Texas.

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Smithers, thats the best post I have seen. I feel the same way. Although, some have other goals. You know, bottom line guys, gotta have numbers to be satisfied.

Im with you Smithers.

Ill never have the time to rack up enough numbers to make any money at it. I work too much for that. Im not in the right area to kill over a hundred a year, unless I hunt year round, which I refuse. Its a game. A game that trips my trigger like no other. I like calling coyotes. Killing and numbers are distant second. However, if I call a coyote, I do like for one of the group to kill it.

And, no matter what TA, the bottom line man, says, not shootin one from the truck on the way in or out has nothing to do with heart or will. It has no point to me. Might as well pop away at everything else you see that isnt human or owned. Same difference.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy: I work six to seven month's a year, i work long hot days and i'm away from my family most of the time. I do this so i can hunt most of the winter. I hunt pheasants and raccoons to pass the time till the snows come then its fox and coyotes. I don't hate the fox or coyote i just love to hunt them, weither i'm calling or stalking i get a big rush from both when they are comeing in to the call or running straight at me from being kicked up. I shoot my coyotes and fox for the fur and some extra change for the money jar. I like to watch coyotes and fox and i also enjoy watching them come to the gun. I know i can't kill a 100 myself but its fun trying.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 05:33 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
greenside who is this man from Iowa that makes his living getting paid to call coyotes in the state of Iowa? How many depredation complaints does he respond to average each year?

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2007 06:52 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote moving freely on their own accord anytime of day. Makes for some real tough calling in the month of Feb.
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard a story over the weekend about of group of southwest MN truck hunters that went to ND recently and shot one hundred and thirteen coyote in two days.

In regards to the story, not your report of it Dennis, that's probably just what it is, A STORY!

I doubt there is a coyote population in ND capable of sustaining those numbers considering the mange around the country.

Not saying it's not true, just saying I seriously question it. I hear too many of these stories to believe them without proof anymore.

~SH~

[ February 02, 2007, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 07:42 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley

Really no way for me to confirm it either, other than I was told that from a good coyote caller from SW MN.

The story was that the group was from Slayton and it sounded like it wasn't a real big group. Came back with a pickup box full of coyote and a couple of pickups towed on trailers.

Coyote Wacker

Sorry if you got the impression that he was or is currently hired by the state. There was a time that people could make more money on fur than working for wages. I might be older than you think [Smile]

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, If you did have any credibility you just lost every ounce of it by presenting that story as a fact. A "good coyote caller" told you that!? Jesus man!! Are you for real? ******* road hunters, not only are they a blister on the ass of society they`re also a bunch of liars!!

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters