The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Glad they got this AR/.17/.223 thing all settled over there (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Glad they got this AR/.17/.223 thing all settled over there
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Atta boy TR! Way to think about the health of our coyote population! Fer real, I like it!

I may have to change my 'From' line in a week or two to, "1/2 mile South of TR".

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, I'll be expecting a house warming party invite....ya know!!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 10:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunt contests are as serious as bass tournaments, if that helps?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 02:56 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Understood about controlling the vermin pop TRnCO, as well as your contest being a fundraiser. I sit on the board of a 501c3 organization here so I know how important fundraisers are to the community. You must be a decent sort not to expect much out of the contest monetarily.

Leonard, I don't fish at all so I don't understand bass fishing contest mentality. I guess there must be a reason for organizing a contest, in other words, someone must benefit as in the 4-H in TRnCO's case. Are the contests run to raise money for the local Predator hunting organizations? Or is all the entry money put back into the contest itself.....which gets back to my original question as why contests if they aren't considered enjoyable?

[ January 19, 2010, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 06:21 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
It takes a different breed to hunt or fish contests. Yes they enjoy it. Some people dont enjoy it unless they are competeing. Bass fishin became that way for me. I could fish for fun now, but my body wont allow me to fish hard enough to be competitive. If I cant fish the way I want, Im just not interested.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 07:51 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 08:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to understand, in the first place, that charity is not a motivator, for a hunt contest. That would evoke a "huh"? from everybody involved. It's strictly a macho thing.

Insofar as a learning tool, can't be beat. You find out what works and what doesn't. Forget about enjoyable, it's damned hard work, but there is satisfaction in results. If there are slim results, it's a real downer, hard to explain and it doesn't seem that you get it anyway? I dunno? A lot of people are not interested. Different strokes....

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 09:56 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can understand the competive nature of some folks from afar. I get that much.

Me, I am not so much a competitive guy. I love to hunt and shoot, but I do it mostly for myself. Even when I was competing in High Power rifle matches, I didn't do it to beat the next guy, I did it to beat my own scores from previous matches. So in a sense I competed with myself.

But like you said, different strokes for different folks...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 10:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Never played sports, eh?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 12:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I played football, basketball,baseball and track.. I did it for the enjoyment of just playing and being outside. If we or i won an event great!! if not it was no big deal..
I did a couple of coyote contests they where fun but nothing to get really excited about...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 12:41 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never played sports, eh?
A valid question Leonard and I can see why you might think that.

I actually played football, baseball, and basket ball as a kid. In high school I played football and dabbled in wrestling for two years. I understand the team concept completely.

Competitively speaking, it never bothered me very much if we lost. If I played my own personal best then I was satisified. If we won and I didn't do my best then I was down. Again...competing with myself more or less.

Does this make me a bad team mqate? I guess my team mates would be the judge of that.

Anyhoo, maybe I should try a contest sometime. I might actually find it interesting.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, interesting, from a purely intellectual perspective.

For many people, sports are fiercely competitive and for others, apparently? they just like being outdoors, fresh air, comraderie, etc.

TA must have been quite the athlete; baseball and track, spring sports, at the same time, very hard to do. But, I know, when you attend a school that has 14 boys, they all play.

I used to know this guy from Missouri, (currently living in Kentucky) told me once, he lettered in a dozen sports but I couldn't get over his manicure, polished nails and styled perfection hairdo. An accountant. Yeah, he did all that, but there was no danger of not making the team. lol Right, Tim?

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS some of you guys are going to be hammered by this rain we are getting right now. I have been hearing of twelve feet of snow in the Sierra's and 20" in our local mountains. EEK!

[ January 19, 2010, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 02:14 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TA must have been quite the athlete; baseball and track, spring sports, at the same time, very hard to do. But, I know, when you attend a school that has 14 boys, they all play.
LOL Leonard; As i recall we had a good number of bench warmers at the time. Not bragging but i do have three track records at the school i attended that have never been broken. ( low hurdles, high hurdles, and 880 relay)
Most of the baseball games where held on fri. and the track meets on Sat. As far as makeing training the time was just split in half each day or every-other day. With most of the coaches all they cared about was winning so they would do what they could to keep a player on the team...

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Never been broken, you say? That's pretty kool! Can I have the number at that school?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 03:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want the number i can e-mail it to you..

I'll let you in on a little secrete. Two years after i graduated they changed from yards to meters.. [Razz] [Big Grin]

[ January 19, 2010, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 04:43 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to lose at anything. I may not swell up like a toad frog that bumps his butt with every jump, but I hate it just the same.

Yep the dang rain killed my 2nd stand this evening LB.

stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 07:01 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Again I don't consider it a loss if I know I did my best. Sometimes winning or losing isn't about points on the board.

Though there is no losing when the stakes are life or death. Out on the street winning is the only option.

[ January 19, 2010, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 05:41 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
This 4-H fund raiser contest that my cousin and I get in every year is not nearly as competetive as the Mid-west contest is, of course, not nearly the entry money involved either. But the fun part about the fund raiser is that bobcats, coyotes, and crows count and they're on a point system. 15 pts. for a cat, 10 for a coyote, and 3 for a crow. Not a whole lot of crows in the area, but enough so that a few of the teams target crows for nearly the whole day. It's a one day event. The coyotes are hunted hard in the area, by grey hound hunters, road hunters, grandma hunters, etc. Everyone hunts them, so not many coyotes are brought in each year. 4 has been the most. Last year 2 coyotes and a cat won. But this kind of contest is more about "fun" than the others. Some of the guys that place in the money don't take the money, instead they donate it back to the cause.
This kind of contest might be more fitting for some that don't feel that they have something to prove to the world.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 06:13 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds more like my style.

Dare I say it sounds like....fun?

Edit: TRnCO, what's the dfference between a Mod and a Global Mod on NPHA?

[ January 20, 2010, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you tell us?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 08:20 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Self-importance?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 09:47 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer shooter's question. Under most circumstances and generally speaking:

A moderator of a UBB forum has the ability to edit/move/delete etc. any post in a room of which he is a moderator. His abilities are restricted to that room only of which he is listed as a moderator.

A Global Moderator has that ability throughout the entire forum. As a general rule, he does not use this ability in any room other than the one he is listed as a moderator in. He is a safeguard in the event something needs attention and the regular moderator from that room is out of touch. In most cases he will simply pull the thread for safekeeping till the Moderator from that forum has a chance to decide how he wants it handled.

edited-to correct spelling, for Dan,
and to add the disclaimer of "under most circumstances and generally speaking"

[ January 20, 2010, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: RagnCajn ]

Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2010 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the clarification, Randy. But, in the meantime, 49 was promoted just to give him a feel for what it's like to have all that power. Quite a thrill, I'm sure and the kind of personal service you get nowhere else.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dan Carey
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2010 08:04 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
That's right generous of you Leonard.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Dan. I had to restrain myself from bestowing Cdog with the honorary title of; SELF IMPORTANT MEMBER. So many titles, so little time.....

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters