The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hello, ACC (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Hello, ACC
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, Vic, how do you pronounce Leupold? I may be gettin that one wrong? [Razz]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, my whole life, I've been saying "Sock-o". That's what my Dad called his Sako's, so that's how I've always said it. Until just recently. I've got an L579 here, fitted with a Krieger barrel, and for the life of me I can't get this thing to shoot like I think it should. So pissed off at the rifle, that I'm now and forever more calling the gawdamn things "Say-Koes". It feels good to intentionally disrespect them when I say it that way, now.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling them anything but a coyote does kind of annoy me, but it's no big thing.

What really gets me is seeing pictures of guy in a doo rag and shades who think I should take them seriously as a hunter.

Is you show up to go hunting with me, dressed like this guy, you will find me sitting behind your strong shoulder, watching you and not for any incoming coyotes.

-

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 07:58 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, that would be just exactly the way it's spelled [Smile] .

"Loo-pold".

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim B. Ha Ha Ha ouch that hurt

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:08 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, just yankin Vics chain....

Thanks Dave. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Season closes on fox and bobcat March 15- Aug 15. Coyotes deserve the same respite. Life during that time is hard enough.
TOM BECHDAL. I hunted with him two years ago for three days. Unfortunately remnants of a hurricane came breezing through the state with rain and 40 knot winds. He called anyway with no luck, so I didn't see how he handles his coyotes.
His calling technique and calling skill were excellent, almost exactly like Brent Saxton, who I believe is one of the best callers I have ever called with. He didn't make any outrageous claims to me, so I was a little surprised to see him claim 257 coyotes in the last three years in Oh. and Pa. He is disabled so he doesn't work a 9 to 5 and spends as many days as he wishes calling. If he was in an area with good densities he could do well. If he is claiming big numbers it would be a little disappointing.

IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:38 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich H.
You must of been here during the same storm as Byron South.
Here is another link to another board where people are talking about Tom B. Its a long thread with a lot of opinons.
http://www.huntingpa.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB26&Number=641060&page=1&fpart=1

Here in PA coyotes are open 365 days a year 24/7, you can hunt them with a general license or a furtakers. I've been telling people for years that coyotes are a furbearer and you should need a furtakers license to be able to hunt them.
Most of the coyotes in this state are shot by chance and left to rot. [Mad] They are shot by deer "hunters"(archery,rifle,muzzleloader), Bear hunters, Turkey hunters, Etc etc.

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 08:54 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
You mean you wont take the leader of Team Hammerdog hunting? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Andy

TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 09:04 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
We just defeated an effort here in NH to alow night hunting from Jan 1 to Aug 31. This was being pushed by one of our fish and game commisioners.

Currently night hunting end on March 31.

We won and it stays like it is, Jan 1 to Mar 31.

But it was close. No respect here for coyotes at all.

Al

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Tim; I thought I had a great Xmas gift idea for you this year too....a GG series matching doo-rag and shades combo! All the savvy hunters are gonna be wearing this fashionable sartorial splendor come fall! Oh well...I'll think of something appropriate....maybe an airedale pup!

[ August 30, 2006, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
PeyoteHunter; Krusty is a legend who may or may not still be around here. Hunter & call maker from the Pacific NorthWet who has never killed a coyote. Noted for being stubborn and not playing well with others when stressed. To his credit, he has kept trying year after year. I believe that he still has an offer outstanding; "Come to the Cascades with him, call & kill 3 coyotes in one day, and he'll eat the third one raw."

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowney
PAKMAN
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 06:05 AM      Profile for Rowney   Email Rowney         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine time to make a post on here, but I will for the hell of it.

I come over here and read a few things every couple of days b/c I realize several people on here know what the hell they are talking about. I havent posted yet, because I havent seen the need to. However I started a thread on PM b/c of things I read at JH's site, and things I have heard from other boards, this thread had only brought this up once or twice before I posted that thread, at least since I had been on here. I find it comical that they both got going at the same time, and that anyone would think i would come read things on here and then go post it on PM. However, I do see how that could be seen that way, and my apologies for it coming across that way. I didnt ask my question here b/c i thought i knew the answer from all of you, though maybe i dont, as i still havent gotten an answer anywhere else.

So i will ask, are there not other and completely better ways to determine someones credibility than what they call a coyote? Dont get me wrong, The only time i say yote is when i am typing as its faster and easier. Others may do it b/c they think its neat or cool or whatever else, but i think it sounds funny to say out loud, so I dont do it. But, when i read posts from Rich, Nasa, GG, Byron, or whoever else (and i dont care that you guys dont get along [Razz] ) The last thing i would ever look at is what you call a coyote, I think there is a lot more stuff i need to know that that. I just dont see disrespect, that to me is shooting in the spring or summer for fun to let them lay there and rot, and a multitude of other things that are worse than calling them a "yote"

--------------------
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat...

Posts: 8 | From: Lewisville, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 06:20 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like all the bruised feelings have been consoled and asses patted back to health.

Wow, a fellas gotta be careful about what he posts. Doesnt just fire up a board anymore. It runs like wildfire thru the entire net now.

Hey Cal, you got any room for late coming lope hunters? If a man kills early, can he shoot yotes or poodles? Got any good streams to catch bows?

See how ignorant that sounds? [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

[ August 31, 2006, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 07:24 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rowney. I'm glad to see you over here, I've always enjoyed our exchanges. I'm sure you already know the answer to your question. You are simply making conversation with others of like ilk and enjoying the mixed replies. I've read some of the posts on the other boards and the comments about "proper" names and they are mostly entertaining even when they couch snide remarks about us over here.
But to your question, my opinion, plain and simple [Smile]
the "proper" name for a coyote is often colloquial and proper to that specific region.
Historically, "coyote" is a Spanish corruption of the Nauhuatl or Aztec "coyotl". The Navajo, who revered the coyote and referred to it as "God's dog" called the coyote mah-ih. Canis latrans is simply the Latin specific name given to the species in 1819 by the biologist Thomas Say. So take your pick as to what is proper.
I remember a fellow posting on one of the boards some time back. He logged on as Masteryoteslayer and his first post went something like "I just got into predator calling and want to know what is the best rifle for coyotes."
The concept that we are dealing with here, Rowney, is perception. How do you want to be perceived by experienced peers?

[ August 31, 2006, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 07:25 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, to me it doesn't sound so much "ignorant" as it sounds "disingenuous". Right or wrong, it projects an image of youthful, boisterous, inexperience.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 07:45 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
That is a better word NASA. Thanks.

As usual, Mr Higgins hit it on the noggin. And, I almost said something when challenged with no man alive could know the real name. I figgered Rich would know. ( I dont know if Im allowed to call him Higgy yet or not.)

Ill get off the subject and quit stirring. It was brought to this board, that another board was talking about this thread, by a member of both. I read it and its just sickeningly typical of that board. Seems to be alot of thin skins and folks that egos need to be stroked by each other, even if the original author never posted it on their board. Gets old. I think the point has been well made by many and you can pretty well see where everyone stands. Point made.

--------------------
Andy

Rowney
PAKMAN
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Rowney   Email Rowney         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Rich! Another point, there are two diferent sides to this story here. When you ask a question the way Andy put it, yes you all three are correct, but there is more to that than just their terminology. If you look at it from that side, yes, its just as Tom put it. My contention was that say a person of much experience just happens to ask" I called in a pair of yotes yesterday, I was fully covered in the brush, downwind, using a howl sequence, and they busted me immediately...anyway you get my point that there is a big difference in the two, and I am speaking of the latter. and dont hold me to that question, its only for arguments sake! [Big Grin]

And if someone comes on the board with a name like that and has neve done anything, yes it makes you wonder. hence I use my real name, b/c the way i see it, it doesnt matter the medium of exchange, you better be yourself, b/c the "experts" (no pun intended [Wink] ) will bust your ass in a heartbeat.

[ August 31, 2006, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Rowney ]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 12:01 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Rowney, if someone were to post a series of "Look at me! Look at me!" posts which included an avatar of an alien insect in do-rag, in which he described "busting a bunch of 'yotes" that person should not be surprised when he was well received by novices only. If a person were to make a series of solid posts I don't think it would matter much if they called themselves Hillary "yotebuster" Clinton. First impressions are important but knowledge, experience and attitude will ultimately decide how you are perceived by whichever group you join.
Rowney
PAKMAN
Member # 934

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Rowney   Email Rowney         Edit/Delete Post 
You know my first thought at a screen name was in fact Hillary Yotebuster clinton, but i then realized that would offend so many coyotes that i couldnt live with myself. Talk about dual-disrespect! [Big Grin]

Well, anyway, its actually going to be cool enough this weekend (highsin the mid to upper 80's) that we are going to call in between blasting a few doves in west texas. Hopefully that will put an end to my goofball questions. I get so damned bored that theres no telling what I will come up with next! [Eek!]

--------------------

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

I am not still around, but since your e-mail isn't available I'll post;

I am certainly no legend, infamous maybe, but not legendary.

The challenge goes:
If ANYONE can come here (to my county), and kill three coyotes, over three consecutive days, I'll eat the third one.
I never said nothin' about raw either.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 05:48 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty; I stand corrected......but I was pretty close.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 10:15 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty did, IIRC, call a mountain lion. At least once. That in itself qualifies as quite an accomplishment, one worth a great many coyote, in my book.
He also makes uniquely figured, exceptionally ergonomic and very beautiful open-reed custom calls. (For his friends...so you be nice now, hear?)
LionHo

[ September 05, 2006, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 11:43 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Ill vouch for Krustys calls. I got one and Im impressed. I find myself grabbing it more often all the time.

Thanks Krusty!!

--------------------
Andy

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Krusty! Thanks!

Jeeepers did my words ever get misconcruified! No, Koko', I won't shave my legs and attempt to get into your pants. I will however, put my hands in my pockets and allow you to go to town if you like! [Wink] That's what I was really trying to say. But be warned, there may not be a lot to find there. LOL (but keep in mind, I wasn't talking to anyone imparticular, see?)

[ September 12, 2006, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters