The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wrapped up my longline (lol) (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Wrapped up my longline (lol)
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
When did I go back to being called "Jeff"... [Roll Eyes]

Tom,

It goes way beyond pleasantries, to the point it seems some members, in effort to run up that ever important post count, will post anything (including nothing more than a smilie).

Brad,

Here's the Okie site. [Wink]

Lance,

You give Tim way too much credit, saying that he gets his information off the internet (as opposed to pulling numbers out of his ass).

You don't seriously believe anything he says is credible, do you? [Eek!]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 07:50 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.okpredatorhunters.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Here it is Brad, our annual hunt is in Elk City next weekend. Rich and Tyler Higgins are the speakers on Friday night and Les Johnson is on Saturday night.

Sorry, I'd have let you know "sooner" but Leonard frowns on recruitment you know.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 08:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Only on even numbered days. Unless your name ends with a vowel.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31485 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 08:25 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
"When did I go back to being called "Jeff"... "

When I wrote you a check, krusty just hasn't fit you since for some reason. But as you wish.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Actually, your remarks as to numbers harvested were in response, by my best guess, to where I said,

"I suspect (just a WAG here) that KS has more coons than MN,..."

The numbers I cite are the only numbers included in the chart I have in front of me because yes, that was one of the biggest seasons in KS furharvesting history, as it was for most states because of the unmatched fur boom going on at the time. My point, in citing those numbers, was that they represent what is likely the maximum amount of harvest pressure your state and mine, either one, has ever endured, thus giving a more accurate picture of what the state's populations were like at the time. Presently, in Kansas at least, we lose the vast majority of excess in the coon pop'n to distemper since the fur market and the economy keep most people who have trapped on the sidelines due to no interest or no money. Because of this, the harvest data this year, or for that matter, any of the past ten, does not accurately represent the number of coons in Kansas, nor would it do so in Minnesota. 79-80 saw huge numbers representing a higher percentage of the resource than any other year on record.

Now, as to how these numbers do, or do not, illustrate houndsman activity.

Trappers trap for fur and the money they can make off of it. When the fur market tanks, so does the activity levels of trappers.

Houndsmen run dogs for harvesting fur, and some actually sell the pelts to offset the cost of the dogs. But, to a houndsman, a live coon is worth much more than a dead one because their interests also lie in breeding their dogs, improving their blood lines, training and selling the dogs. That's where they make their money, if they're in it for the money at all, and the prevailing price being offered for coon pelts has little to do with the amount of dogmen that there are.

The point I made earlier was that we have more coons, and we likely have more coon hunters. More coon hunters means more dogs and since the vast majority of coon hunting today centers around Nite Hunts, you quickly notice that most hounds in competetion are Walkers and other warm-nose breeds whose noses can't pick up a track that's very old, otherwise, they'd spend the entire 2-hour time allotment for the hunt chasing one coon. They don't want that. Other than myself and the guy I bought my English dogs from, there weren't any other redtick hunters around here that I knew of. The reason for that, I was told, was because their noses are too cold to serve them well in a hunting competition when against walkers - a breed that was selectively bred out of the English breed, along with blueticks, for certain traits, including a manageable nose.

Personally, I don't consider the English nose a liability. My dogs did incredible things for which I was very proud and I enjoyed watching them put the kabosh on those uppity walkers by sticking to and working out a track long before the Walker dogs even knew it was there. 9 times out of ten, my dog could get first strike before jumping from the tailgate just by airing the scent. Those walker guys absolutely hated him for that. Cody was never competed because he wasn't a dedicated treeing dog. He'd tree, and leave as soon as he could to find another track because that was what he enjoyed doing. Bear, his half brother, went back to the breeder when I had to stop hunting. Three yars later, I received new paperwork from UKC showing that he'd attained his Dual Grand Champion Grand Nite Champion and was standing at stud somewhere in the Ozarks with the breeder's brother. Cody was barely fifty pounds, soaking wet. Bear, in comarison, was twice as tall at the shoulders and weighed just over 95 pounds. Two half brothers that looked nothing alike. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
After Idol, k?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 08:59 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, don`t confuse him with facts & reason.

BTW...I just read your sig line...That`s hilarious! The first thing I thought about was how cold Tim must be up there in Minnie-sota.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 09:54 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not cold at all, unless youre a puss..

So how did the calling go? Did you get a couple?? You did'nt get dog shit on youre hat did ya.. [Eek!]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 06:18 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cross J: COOL shots of a good lookin' dog! Curious, does your cur still have it's dew claws?
I've read where they help in the tree climbing dept...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Im not going to get into this very deep. Been there done that too many times on this subject.

I love dogs. I got four that hunt coons and coyotes. Calling, not running. I cannot stand the coyote runnin hound guys. Geordie, probably the only thing we disagree on, and you probably do it different, knowing you and your morals, than the dipshits around here. I have no repsect for these fuckheads. Its an excuse for roadhunting, kind of like Tims crew. They just use humans instead of dogs to run out coyotes to guys shootin from the road. Only difference is the dogs are no doubt smarter cause they arent hunting with Tim.

I have had more coyote stands, traplines, deer stands and other types of hunting, fucked up by these toothless retarded fuckheads than anything else. And they hide behind the skirt of the law that says your dogs can run anywhere are long as you dump them on land you have permission to hunt. Most have permission in someones yard, dump there and its a fuckin free for all from there on out. Ive posted this so many times. I got pissed bad one time and told the game warden about it, after they fucked up one of my best calling areas. I showed him where to watch and told him when to show up. He wrote a bunch of tickets for shooting from the road, trespass, got a couple of felony arrests for drinking while in posession of a firearm and discharging a firearm while drinking, most road hunters are fuckin drunks. Confiscated some guns and I think even one truck.

If it is done properly and your not wonton stepping on everyone in the countries toes, good on ya. But tracts are small around here. A 1000 acre farm is big, all in one tract anyway, and it doesnt take long for a chase to go across that much land. So, its literally impossible to not have your dogs go where they are not wanted and quite possibly fuck up someones hunt that did have permission.

Anyway, Brett, you know Im not talking about your methods. Geordie, Im giving you the benifit of the doubt, just because of my prior experiences talking with you. You do have some sense. The guys around here? Fuck the dipshits. I will continue to wage war on them.

Oh, and coon hunters? Not all are bad, Im sure. But I have lost a shitload of coons to the bastards stealing my coons and most take my traps too. Sound like an ethical person? Hell, I wouldnt even mind them letting their dogs chew on them, I do. Shoot the fucking thing when your done so it doesnt suffer. But I bought the trap, went to the work of setting it out and you taking it and my trap just because your piece of shit dog couldnt find anything else that night? Fuck you too. I helped get a couple of these slobs busted too. One I even killed his fuckin dog for him, after the 5th night in a row of him hunting my lines and costing me a few hundred in traps alone, not counting fur.

Now, having said all this, we are talking about a small minority. Most hunters are ethical. But there are enough of these fuckheads with dogs to piss me off, at least around here.

4949, I really enjoy your posts and think your a credit. But if you want to train a hunting dog, for coon and coyote at least, if you dont let them get their teeth sunk into a few, your not gonna have much of a dog.

And TA, that was pretty funny you thought Jason was really praising you. Just shows that you truely are a dumbass.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 05:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You don't seriously believe anything he says is credible, do you?

Krusty

TA is pretty good with the mechanics of riflemanship. They say he's a decent shot, also? Even those that rag on him give him that much.

Good hunting. LB

[ January 20, 2011, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 07:08 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, first off, I was primarily talking of sight dogs, not hounds. Only a few I know of around here run hounds on coyotes, and they do it at night to simply 'hear the race'. The country around here is, in my opinion, too populated; but it may not be as populated as yours. There are still lots of big chunks under single ownership. There are plentty of places you can travel several miles while having the same owner on both sides of the road. There are also very few houses in these areas. There are a few dog wagons that have no regard for property owners wishes, but the same goes for all other type hunters and one trapper I know. My area has a tradition in running greyhounds, and some of the best coyote men I know run sight dogs.
Now, with that said, I can respect your opinion due to your real life experiences. My gripe was with someone making a blanket statement on something they had no real life experience with. Anyone can have an opinion, but when someone voices an opinion based on NO experience, it borders on misinformation. When that same someone voices that opinion on an open hunting forum, they should not be shocked to be called on their lack of experience.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 07:15 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah.....Knockemdown, that dog did not have dew claws. I don't think they would aid in traction etc due to the fact that the are basically soft tissue with no ligements or tendons giving them the ability to be rigid.
The kemmer I have now does have dew claws, but, she shows little interest in treeing.

Maintain

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, don't you think, as a matter of policy, or common practice, whatever? that almost any hunting dog should have dew claws removed, front, and back, if present? I think it's too easy for injury, but it's also just my personal opinion.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 07:53 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes LB, I share your opinion for all the reasons you stated. Plus, in my opinion.....I think they are ugly!

Maintain

--------------------

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 09:24 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if you want to train a hunting dog, for coon and coyote at least, if you dont let them get their teeth sunk into a few, your not gonna have much of a dog.

No problem Andy I respect your opinion.

And thanks for the plug.

Edit: And as much as I hate to admit it, I respect the opinions of tom and Crossj too. [Big Grin]

[ January 20, 2011, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2011 07:54 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
due to the fact that the are basically soft tissue with no ligements or tendons giving them the ability to be rigid.

Thanks, that's why I asked, since reading that somewhere didn't make much sense to me?

My lil' guy seems to get along just fine without them. The tail, too... [Wink]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cowboyvon
Member # 854

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2011 06:56 PM      Profile for Cowboyvon   Author's Homepage   Email Cowboyvon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow what a thread.. and all this coming from the chest thumping predator callers..

I always thought that predator calling was about the same as what team penning is to all of us that compete in the horse world.... its something that people can do that don't have the skill to do anything else [Wink] Oh but wait you guys are the elite...sorry [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Just kidding really

I run coyotes with sight hounds and I also hunt bears and lions with scent hounds to me its the greatest sport around but I don't expect everyone else to like it. I guess its all in how you go about it but most of the people who are against it have never done it. I've called in and shot my share of coyotes.. but it just doesn't do anything for me.. and then the way you guys get into calibers,loads velocity and groups and all that shit...can't stand it..

Me and Andy and JD have been down this road before and came to an understanding.. and I'm glad to see Andy still has a way with words [Big Grin]

I can sure see where small acreages and a lot of private property is not real conducive to hound hunting, thats why I'm glad I'm where I'm at I have lots of room to do what I like...

Treed Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8WXvs4Yyg

Cold trailing a lion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XCBVI87pc

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtVDfG3GPTm8FbNY0Bb-oBA

Posts: 23 | From: Rincon NM | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I missed your post Bret, yea we been down this road a time or two [Smile] Horses & hounds in NM, I`m a jealous man. Good to hear from you again.

btw...nice video clips.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters