The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Question (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Question
ACC
Knows what it's all about
Member # 903

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 05:53 PM      Profile for ACC           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal Taylor,

That is a good photo. I would like to know the story behind that one.

Posts: 41 | From: It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her! | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 06:16 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it’s just luck and perseverance. Most people never draw (Sheep tags), some do after many attempts and occasionally, like my neighbor across the street draws a Desert Bighorn Sheep tag on her first attempt and she got a very nice sheep too.

Good luck on your hunts.

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 06:28 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
See you guys in the fall I do hope this works it self out.

Leonard you have a nice sight going here and hope to drop in when the fishing season get over with but for know it time to get back chasing the wet predator so i wish you all well and see you in the fall
 -
Big George AKA REM223PA

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
That must've been one hellacious crankbait!
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 08:20 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, I can't believe I read all that in one sitting.

ACC,
Move to an area that has a good population of coyotes, grab a call,gun,camera and/or camcorder and shoot a bunch of dogs. Write about it on message boards, post pic's and videos, maybe even write a book, and BAM your in.
Its funny you asked that because I always wondered what makes someone an "expert" or a "pro" myself. I'm just the opposite, I've been chasing coyotes for about 14 years and to talk to me you would think I just started hunting them and I like it that way.

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 08:24 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like I recall someone by the name of MJM around here at time or two. [Wink] Hello MJM!!! [Smile]

Leonard, I know that at one time or another Bill won about a jillion prizes at some raffle that you attended. You should of seen him at Bruce's get-up!!! HOLY MOLY that guy is lucky. I got a prize or two also, but only because after Bill had more prizes than he could safely carry out to his truck in one trip, he began giving away prizes to everyone at his table and we all went home with something!!!. I think he bought 20 extra tickets and then got called 30 times. LOL No joke. Hello Bill!!! [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Loco,

How you been? That was a fun event, wasn't it. I had a good time. Bruce did well for a first event. To bad there weren't others. It was certainly nice meeting you there.

ACC
Member # 903

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2006 11:10 PM      Profile for ACC           Edit/Delete Post 
PAyotehunter,

Well, I too have been chasing yotes for a while. I started thinking about it the other day when this battle started.

For me, It has been 18 years in August. I do as I want in the coyote hunting world and don't bug to many people while doing it but this last week has frusterated me beyond belief.

I take new guys/kids out as well and in there mind, they think I am the expert when they see the yote coming to the call. I have ranchers call me up to help take coyotes out of the population and I guess they think I am some sort of expert as well.

I am just getting tired of everyone gathering around a few guys and telling everyone else that these guys are the cats ass and everyone else is a amateur.

So that is why I ask, how do you get there?

[ July 24, 2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: ACC ]

Posts: 41 | From: It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her! | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 12:02 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I was at that table too. It seemed that every other name pulled out of the hat was Bills. LOL That was a great event. I had a ball. Have some fun on your hunts Bill, good to see you out.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
ACC, I work for a county predator control program every spring as a denner, and so I usually keep a pup or two around every summer for recording some sounds and things like that. Several of FoxPros really good pup sounds came from here. If you watch any of Byron Souths last videos or Les Johnsons TV show(Predator Quest) you will hear my pup distress sound on about every stand. Anyway, this year I got a couple really young (eyes closed) pups out of a den, and raised them. One didn't make it, but this one is doing good. It's the first semi gentle one I have had. I have even taught it to play fetch. That may be a first.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michael J.
PAKMAN
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 09:20 AM      Profile for Michael J.           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how those pups were doing. I'm interested to see how this one developes. I guess it makes sence that a coyote would fetch like a domestic dog would, but its probably only a mater of time before he/she becomes independent enough to want to deal with its catch alone. But then again I have always wondered. If the adults don't run the young off, would they keep a closer family bond and act more as a pack hunter rather than a lone hunter living with others. The behavior is most likely hard wired into their genes, but a small part of it could be environmental I suppose.

What happened to the other one? Did it die of some natural cause or was it overly agressive?

Posts: 5 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Cal,and way cool. At what point does it all end? Is there an age, where it will begin to stay away for periods of time,and then just wander off. Do you encourage it to do so,or do you treat it just like any other domestic dog?
Ive seen coons,javelinas,deer, but never a coyote that has been kept since newborn,but never a coyote. Just how long will that coyote hang around,and what is your past experience with them?

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 10:49 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
How long will it hang around????
Man, and I thought I was gonna be heartless by asking if he was gonna skin it out for a rug or tube it out...... [Roll Eyes]

Real neat Cal. Keep us posted on its' development.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
The other pup died shortly after being vaccinated for parvo and distemper, so I assume it reacted to the shot. I keep this one kenneled unless we are playing with it, but then it runs loose and stays pretty close to the house. The other pups I have had were caught much later and were always wild and mean, but I have had an escapee or two and they stayed around here pretty close for a while. One disappeared finally and one I shot. This one has no clue of anything but us. So I guess we will keep it unless it gets too mean or something. If it gets mean I will send her up to O'Gorman for his urine pens or something. Temperment seems to be good so far. If I keep it I will probably have it spayed later if I can find a vet to work on it, and that may help with temperment also.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What I heard, some time ago, is that they eventually start staying out all night and/or killing chickens. That eventually, the wildness takes over and they leave, never to return. If penned, that's probably a different story, but if you treat them like a dog, they get the urge to wander, sooner or later.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal Taylor,
I hope that the coyote will work out for you. It would make a heck of a decoy if things go well. You may have to dye her hunter orange though.
[Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 12:25 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Very neat. I have thought about and talked to other about doing that(getting one before its eyes opened) but I believe there is some sorta law against it here.
Do you have any other pets??
If so how do they get along?
Thanks.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the wildness takes over and they leave, never to return. If you treat them like a dog, they get the urge to wander, sooner or later.

That wasn't the case with the 6 coyotes I raised. I kept them for over 5 years. They were obedience trained and leash broken. None were spayed or neutered. All were fed domestic dog food and dietary supplements. All saw the vet every 6 months. They were bathed and brushed every 2 weeks, except in the winter. They came in the house for a few hours every day, and learned to stay off the couch! They would gang around the (ex) wife and beg for scraps when she was making dinner. And when I took them "hunting" they would chase down and kill rabbits. But I never let them eat them. I always carried strips of cooked beef heart to give them as a reward for giving up the rabbit to me.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 01:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
So NASA what happened to them? I had a friend that found a pup years ago, it was pretty good natured but since we have laws against keeping them and a game warden collected this one.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
After 5 years, they were just too time consuming. They demanded constant attention to maintain that level of temperment. It became too much work for me alone. One ended up in the Tulsa Zoo in the "petting pen". One was sold to an exotic animal rental agency, and one went to a rich Texan who wanted it for a pet. Another went to a Hollywood wildlife compound and later starred in 2 Disney movies.
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Kansas has laws against possession of one, too, but I had a good friend that had two timber wolf hybrids. His wolves were pretty well mannered, but he always warned that you should regard them more like a cat than a dog because their wild genes make them more temperamental and independent. Is it the same with coyotes? I also kind of always wondered if the coyotes NASA had required that they maintain a certain degree of pack atmosphere, with Tom Being the alpha dog? That's how I run my kids, and have just wondered if it worked or was necessary with pet coyotes. It always worked well in raising my kids, until the law showed up and said they'd gotten complaints from the neighbor about me peeing on their privacy fence three of four times a day.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 03:07 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
“you should regard them more like a cat than a dog.”
In a way, yes. More accurately, you should never regard them as a “dog”.

“maintain a certain degree of pack atmosphere, with Tom Being the alpha dog.”
Absolutely, that is mandatory, otherwise you cannot maintain their respect.

“necessary with pet coyotes.”
It is foolish and dangerous to ever regard them as “pets”.

PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 03:34 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I have three dogs, an english lab. a german shorthair pointer and a jack russel. All three of my dogs see me as the alpha. It is very important for any dog owner to be the alpha and I imagine the same would apply to a "pet" coyote.
Michael J.
PAKMAN
Member # 905

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Michael J.           Edit/Delete Post 
Nasa - I've watched quite a few coyotes and when they met or were unsure they would go into a submissive stance when confronted with a dominant animal. As the dominant menber of the family unit or pack did they show this type of behavior around you?
Posts: 5 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan J, yes it was a great event. I wish I had taken some pictures, it was a rare opportunity to document some of the greats and future greats, in our sport. Good luck to you I the upcoming season.

Bill

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters