The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » HMMMM? So it's a new board................

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HMMMM? So it's a new board................
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello BOYS!

So we have a new board. Looks a little simpler than the previous board. Should be easier to maintain.

Just as a point of discussion.......I've often considered why someone creates different categories on a particular board? For example, Why create seperate categories for wolf, bear, predator hunting, cats, shooting and so forth? Isn't this sort of a divide and seperate strategy? I mean, why seperate these categories? Aren't they all a part of varmint hunting? Isn't the quality of a BBS provided by the sum total of it's experienced members in ALL the different subjects they may write about? Why seperate our thoughts and comments into different categories?

This is food for thought because it has a lot to do with the makeup of a board.

My 2 for what it's worth. At least we should think about this because I may want to talk about lion one time and calibers the next. What are we going to talk about if we are divided?

Frank

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, division? Honestly, I see the need for breaking it sown somewhat, but not too far. I come here to talk predator hunting not tell jokes. BTW, what's your favorite song? [Smile] Sorry, I digress. Anyway, I think we've done a great job of breaking things down enough to keep it organized, but not so much to make it fragmented. Good job. Good board. Post on.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 14 posted January 26, 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,Well good to see the transition went smooth to the new site looking forward to some more good debates.I like the look of everything.GOOD HUNTING Chad....

[ January 26, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I agree with you, and I won't interfere if you want to get off topic, or mix things up. (be my guest)

In fact, I'm routinely guilty of it, myself. So, sue me. [Smile]

But, some people like a certain amount of struture, and for those that do there is some comfort in knowing they have posted in the correct catagory. If I ever move anything, it may be because it wasn't getting the right attention if it was misplaced.

Another reason is that the big boys all have specific catagories and sub-forums. I thought that posting every topic to a single forum was convenient, and at the same time, a little primitive. We can still do that, just bookmark predator hunting and speak your mind. It's going to happen anyway, you know that.

Therefore, I fully expect that Predator Hunting will receive the majority of the traffic, and that's pretty consistant with most of the other boards....Hunt America being the exception.

But, these things can evolve. Before, the front page of the old Board didn't get much attention, and since you built it, I wonder why, considering your current position on the matter; that you saw fit to create a total of thirty-two separate forums? [Smile]

Let's see the reactions and play it by ear. Appreciate the comments!

Good hunting. LB

edit: I had to correct a little spelling error, anyway, but I notice that some writer from Kansas has a new screen name we need to learn?

[ January 26, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RayG
Knows what it's all about
Member # 9

Icon 14 posted January 26, 2003 05:12 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it is off to a good start. I'd like to see at least one other forum "politics" so maybe that will not get mixed into the good exchange of hunting information.
my 2bits.

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
You need the different categories when the board gets busy. I would not want to wade through 100 topics to find the 10 I am interested in.

Jack

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very nice, Leonard. Lets give it a go!
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
WHOOOA HOOOOA!!!

Very Nice Leonard!!!

I lick it, OOPs hee hee, I mean "Like" it!!!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard,

Who is member number 1??? And what handle is the Kansas flavored writer wearing?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2003 08:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Loco's question, and provide a little background: We have been operating as a satellite of the IHLA Board the past year, plus. John MacEwan is the Chairman of the Board of that Organization, and was the first member logged on to the New Huntmasters. Gracious host and square shooter.

We have separated from IHLA, they have their own operation, and we predator hunters now have an independent website to cuss and discuss. Posts show up, members can register. Everybody's happy.

Good hunting. LB

If you look at the bottom of the page, we have included a link to IHLA, should you be interested in contributing.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 14 posted January 26, 2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Leonard.

Loco, It now looks to me like Lance, aka "The writer" [Smile] Is now under C-dog911. So am I right?

edit: he will have to come out of hiding, I won't snitch.

[ January 26, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 05:53 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard,Frank,John and who ever I'm missing for making this board function and stay alive! No denying this board's potential for being the "best of the best".

Thanks again [Smile]

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bud
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 06:41 AM      Profile for Bud   Email Bud         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty snazzy Leonard,

Finally got here.This non-computer person finally figured that He had an erroneous password. Profile fixed it.

Bud

Posts: 19 | From: OR | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 07:11 AM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I could finally register..

Leonard, is there any chance of locking the old forums and leaving them up for a week or so? There's a wealth of knowledge posted over there and there's a few threads I wouldn't mind printing for my archives.

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
What the..... I leave you guys alone for awhile and you go and change boards on me!
Sweet lookin' setup here,good job Leonard. [Smile]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will admit that the transfering of files from the old Board is a challenge, and at the same time, something I consider worthwhile. I have been advised that it could also infect this new Board with the problems that necessitated the move, in the first place.

So, there are a couple of solutions. If I can do it, and it is agreeable to IHLA, we may be able to use the old Board, as a "read only" site. I may also be able to transfer "archives" to my home computer, and allow access. I don't have the time to focus on that for a couple days, but that doesn't mean that I intend to flush the content, either.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2003 11:41 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matt, glad you registered. Even if Leonard isn't able to archive the threads from the old board the information isn't lost. Just ask a specific question and I'll bet the answers will be delivered with just as much depth and passion as the first time.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted January 27, 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a modest beginning, but the launch seems to be a success. Hard to believe we have had almost 3,000 hits in twenty-four hours. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Doug
Member # 31

Icon 14 posted January 27, 2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Doug           Edit/Delete Post 
The new board looks good Leonard. I notice that the night hunting forum promises "free advice". I am looking forward to that. [Wink]
Doug

--------------------
My mountain cur thinks I'm God.

Posts: 69 | From: Northern Colorado | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barry
Member # 34

Icon 14 posted January 27, 2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Barry   Email Barry         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW,Looks good.
Posts: 133 | From: Trinidad CO. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2003 02:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Whew I made it, better late than never. [Wink]

OK I'm ready, let's have some fun!  -

-

Jeff  -

[ January 28, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Savoie ]

IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2003 07:34 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, All of your hard work is appreciated by me.

Living down here in the stone age. I depend on yall for real knowledge.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 28, 2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I see you resolved your registration problem, Ronnie. Good deal.

Careful with the accusations! I'm not a computer weenie, by any stretch of the imagination! [Roll Eyes] LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

20t-n-t
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2003 06:24 PM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard and everyone who works to keep this board alive. I think it looks real sharp.
And BY the way I'm the computer stooge.

Good huntin and keep yer powder dry
Slydog

--------------------
Teach a kid to hunt and fish and feed them for a lifetime......

Posts: 245 | From: Boise Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters